Panthers set to release WR Steve Smith

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
@RapSheet
The #Panthers are attempting to trade WR Steve Smith, per source. Given his $7M cap number and age (34), seems unlikely.

EDIT:

Much like the Buccaneers in their futile attempt to move Darrelle Revis and his contract, the Panthers have been dragging their heels on Steve Smith, praying someone would trade for him.

They’ve apparently realized that’s not happening.

According to Bill Voth of SportsXchange, the Panthers will release Smith today, ending his 13-year career with the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ter-today/

rideaducati

Reaction score
Good luck. Of all the years to try to trade this guy, this is the worst timing possible.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think he'll be released. Same with Julius Peppers in Chicago.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Nothing like slapping the guy in the face for being your only reliable receiver. Would have been much less salt in the wound had they just released him rather than drag him through the mud with a failed trade attempt.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Good luck with that. You might get a 6th round pick more likely a 7th. Just release him and show some class like we did with Red if he isn't in your plans going forward.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have removed Steve Smith's jersey from their online team store.
This move happens after weeks of speculation that the team will look to trade or cut the wide receiver.

Several media reports claim the Panthers are attempting to trade Smith. However, NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport says a trade is unlikely since Smith has a $7M cap and is 34-years-old.

Smith has played for the Panthers for 13 seasons. He has 836 catches for 12,197 yards and 67 touchdowns.
The team has not released anything official at this time in regards to Smith's status with the team.

http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/sports/pan ... 44441.html

Laloosh

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1c0i6nxs said:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have removed Steve Smith's jersey from their online team store.
This move happens after weeks of speculation that the team will look to trade or cut the wide receiver.

Several media reports claim the Panthers are attempting to trade Smith. However, NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport says a trade is unlikely since Smith has a $7M cap and is 34-years-old.

Smith has played for the Panthers for 13 seasons. He has 836 catches for 12,197 yards and 67 touchdowns.
The team has not released anything official at this time in regards to Smith's status with the team.

Stay classy, CAR. Holy hell I'd hate to be a Panther knowing that's how they treat their vets. No respect...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":38neqg0q said:

Why not just cut him. It's flat out the class move given nobody will bite on a trade.

ctrcat

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":3nxz178c said:
KitsapGuy":3nxz178c said:

Stay classy, CAR. Holy hell I'd hate to be a Panther knowing that's how they treat their vets. No respect...

Owner Jerry Richardson, while a shrewd businessman like all NFL owners, is a southern gentleman who for years had a GM (Marty Hurney) who was loyal to a fault and whose ludicrous contracts lead them to the worst record in football only three years ago. These contracts are still handcuffing the Panthers. GM Dave Gettleman certainly is playing the part of cold, heartless, northerner, certainly the polar opposite of Marty Hurney. Time will tell if this is a good football move. Certainly he has a plan (although right now it doesn't appear to make much sense). It has been handled poorly from a PR perspective however IMO. Sad as a Panther fan.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If we lose Golden Tate, I really hope we offer Steve Smith a one year deal to replace him.

Not bad production vs the NFC West last year...

5 games, 317 yards (63 YPG), 3 touchdowns

ctrcat

Reaction score
^Should have been better than that. He had hands of stone with multiple big drops including an easy dropped TD against Arizona.

Laloosh

Reaction score
ctrcat":3oudwm83 said:
E.C. Laloosh":3oudwm83 said:
KitsapGuy":3oudwm83 said:

Owner Jerry Richardson, while a shrewd businessman like all NFL owners, is a southern gentleman who for years had a GM (Marty Hurney) who was loyal to a fault and whose ludacris contracts lead them to the worst record in football only three years ago. These contracts are still handcuffing the Panthers. GM Dave Gettleman certainly is playing the part of cold, heartless, northerner, certainly the polar opposite of Marty Hurney. Time will tell if this is a good football move. Certainly he has a plan (although right now it doesn't appear to make much sense). It has been handled poorly from a PR perspective however IMO. Sad as a Panther fan.

Releasing him would be the shrewd thing to do. Raking him over the coals by making him endure a failed trade is just mean. At least Boldin had some size and a large catching radius. That made him more marketable as an aging player. Short but quick depreciates faster than a Datsun.

davidonmi

Reaction score
"who's gonna protect me, and who am I supposed to throw the ball to."
-Cam Newton.
No seriously I think that team could take a step back, they have cap room but they have holes in the secondary, WR corps, and on the offensive line.

The front seven is still elite and they have their QB but I would have to think the saints should be the favorite in that division

chris98251

Reaction score
Doesn't bring anything we need to Seattle, to expensive, to Old and won't get the ball enough to satisfy his ego.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2v1pzyng said:
If we lose Golden Tate, I really hope we offer Steve Smith a one year deal to replace him.

Not bad production vs the NFC West last year...

5 games, 317 yards (63 YPG), 3 touchdowns
Steve Smith will be a Niner, methinks

King Dog

Reaction score
I love Steve Smith. We could cut Kearse and Lockette and roll with the shortest WR corps in history :)