The 49ers’ profit-margin in Santa Clara-Tim Kawakami

Jville

Reaction score
Kawakami
... they will have much more cash on hand,starting next year, and if they want to spend large amounts for whatever reason (extending Jim Harbaugh beyond 2015 as the No. 1-paid coach in the league? continuing to make the coaching staff a very well-compensated group? gigantic efforts in scouting/information gathering?), they will not exactly be going broke doing so.
[urltargetblank]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/08/30/cash-register-the-49ers-profit-margin-in-santa-clara-starting-next-year-will-be-l-a-r-g-e/[/urltargetblank]

JZ#1

Reaction score
They are always going to look to extend their own guys, first. Baalke came from the school where you build the team through the draft and look to extend your own guys. He is a fan mostly of cheap free agent signings or signing former first round busts as pet projects.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":3tmx03f9 said:
Kawakami
... they will have much more cash on hand,starting next year, and if they want to spend large amounts for whatever reason (extending Jim Harbaugh beyond 2015 as the No. 1-paid coach in the league? continuing to make the coaching staff a very well-compensated group? gigantic efforts in scouting/information gathering?), they will not exactly be going broke doing so.
[urltargetblank]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/08/30/cash-register-the-49ers-profit-margin-in-santa-clara-starting-next-year-will-be-l-a-r-g-e/[/urltargetblank]
Hold on a second.... Is this guy on the whiner trolls "approved sources/reporter" list???? Marvin? Popeye? :stirthepot:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3kvjw3j2 said:
Jville":3kvjw3j2 said:
Kawakami
Hold on a second.... Is this guy on the whiner trolls "approved sources/reporter" list???? Marvin? Popeye? :stirthepot:

He's not on mine.

Laloosh

Reaction score
All because of that brick purchased by Seahawks fans...

mikeak

Reaction score
The author correlates one time seat license fees with annual income insinuating that the revenue will keep being that large

That is flawed but sure $100M in one year is huge but won't happen again...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ if it ever even happens one time in the first place.

It's Kawakami. It's just more of what he's "heard." As a 9ers fan I'd course like for this to be true, but really, good or bad this guy is always full of it. 100 million, eh? A nice, big, round audacious number. Don't buy it for a sec.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":12sffw8n said:
Sports Hernia":12sffw8n said:
Jville":12sffw8n said:
Kawakami

He's not on mine.

I can't stand Kawakami, but everything I've read says that he's correct here.

HUGE $$$$$ coming in when the new stadium opens. I've read as much as an additional 100 mil per year in other columns (tho they may be quoting Kawakami). Helps when giving out signing bonuses and helps signing coaches...but not sure how much of an on-field effect it will have. Those two richest teams quoted in the article aren't exactly setting the world on fire on the field.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ But I read the article as the $100 million coming due to PSL sales - which makes total sense

BUT it is a ONE TIME THING

Marvin49

Reaction score
mikeak":2wpqkkks said:
^ But I read the article as the $100 million coming due to PSL sales - which makes total sense

BUT it is a ONE TIME THING

No...its not just the SBLs because those go directly to the stadium financing. It has more to do with the ticket sales that are attached to those SBLs and are paid for every year.

Its the Santa Clara Stadium Authority that is getting those SBLs to pay down the debt.

The new revenue is from ticket sales (and prices have doubled in place and MUCH more than doubled in Club seats), new partnerships in the Silicon Valley companies, new concession sales and contracts, etc. Huge new revenue streams...not just a one time thing.

Again tho, not sure how much difference it will make on the field. There is still a salary cap. They just won't have to be like Art Modell with the Browns who had to take out a loan from a bank in order to pay Andre Risons signing bonus.