How will the Nick Bosa contract impact the 49ers?

Marvin49

Reaction score
He said "contracts like Trey Lance". I know reading comprehension isn't the strong suit of any 49ers fan, Marvin, but a SERIES of contracts to unproductive players has doomed many teams in the past. Stop playing it off like he said a single $10m hit on one player is going to implode the team. Read what's typed, and read for context. I can assign you some training videos on those topics if you'd like, just PM me.

Come on Roland. Try reading what that dude has been saying all along before chastising me and harping on my reading comprehension skills.

I mean he also said that the Lance trade will set the franchise back 12 years. This conversation didn't happen in the vacuum of a single post. There is a context to this conversation.

Long time no see BTW. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Come on Roland. Try reading what that dude has been saying all along before chastising me and harping on my reading comprehension skills.

I mean he also said that the Lance trade will set the franchise back 12 years. This conversation didn't happen in the vacuum of a single post. There is a context to this conversation.

Long time no see BTW. :)
12 years is ridiculous; jump on him for the dumb things he says then, rather than purposely misinterpreting a non-dumb thing he said. :)

Also, indeed, it's been a while. I don't post much since I got into real IT eight years ago. Prior to that I had 2-4 hours of dead time on the job with nothing to do every single day, which is where most of my frequent posting came from.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
12 years is ridiculous; jump on him for the dumb things he says then, rather than purposely misinterpreting a non-dumb thing he said. :)

Also, indeed, it's been a while. I don't post much since I got into real IT eight years ago. Prior to that I had 2-4 hours of dead time on the job with nothing to do every single day, which is where most of my frequent posting came from.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Zero chance. Not a fact, just an OPINION. But I can't fathom them letting one of the best players in football go.
Which is why I said it's a small chance, the same as any other player. Always a small chance any one player gets traded. It's just how the NFL is.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Can a cap expert help me out here? OTC shows SF currently over the cap and that doesnt include Bosas money. How are they going to sign him and get under the cap?1000005498

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
Can a cap expert help me out here? OTC shows SF currently over the cap and that doesnt include Bosas money. How are they going to sign him and get under the cap?View attachment 60463
The contract extension can actually help their salary cap for this year because Bosa has a $17 million cap hit this year. Restructuring his contract allows them to pay a large part of his contract as a bonus, which can be spread out over the life of the contract while keeping his 2023 salary low. Of course, this only pushes off the cap hits into the later years. All this is possible because they aren't paying a franchise QB $50 million per year.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The contract extension can actually help their salary cap for this year because Bosa has a $17 million cap hit this year. Restructuring his contract allows them to pay a large part of his contract as a bonus, which can be spread out over the life of the contract while keeping his 2023 salary low. Of course, this only pushes off the cap hits into the later years. All this is possible because they aren't paying a franchise QB $50 million per year.

Ah, if I scroll further down their cap hits list, he is listed at $17m at the bottom of everything. I missed that.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I've seen a number of stories that report that Bosa and the 49ers are $4 million per year apart in their negotiations. I don't know how accurate that is but if it is, that's a big gap and not easy to close.

Looks like he's just about on the cusp for missing week 1 now. Hope it costs them a win against the Steelers.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Looks like he's just about on the cusp for missing week 1 now. Hope it costs them a win against the Steelers.
Even if he does sign his contract, say, tonight, he would still miss sunday I believe. Otherwise, he risks getting injured because of lack of reps/practice.

I think they are at the point now, where it is best to ease him in when the contract gets resolved.

94Smith

Reaction score
If he was playing we might have lost to the Steelers as well. 49ers have started slow for 3 years straight and that is a tough game

flv2

Reaction score
Can a cap expert help me out here? OTC shows SF currently over the cap and that doesnt include Bosas money. How are they going to sign him and get under the cap?View attachment 60463
It's a snap-shot picture and while the camera never lies it never adds missing context either. Williams has a salary of $19.4M and he's under contract for 4 years. Armstead has a salary of $15.89M and he's under contract for 4 years, (including bogus years). The 49ers could reduce those 2023 salaries to vet minimum and convert the rest to signing bonuses. The 49ers would only have to account for the signing bonuses for the 1st of the 4 years in this year's cap. Effectively that would borrow $25M of cap space from future years. There's a finite limit to this but the 49ers aren't in immediate cap problems.