Alex Smith 4 year $17 mill per year with $45 mill guaranteed

Lithium

Reaction score
I've always liked him. Probably my 2nd favorite QB. Good for him.

Jville

Reaction score
IMG_CHIEFSCAMP_ME_080114_2_1_AP2OH651_L68012436.JPG

They are Happy in KC >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article1336989.html[/urltargetblank]

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1sblb6uk said:
As usual the Chiefs "couged" it.

Please do not misuse and overuse the term. It holds a special place in Coug fan's hearts to have it just thrown around so carelessly.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It would seem Alex Smith is just getting what decent/good but not great QBs are currently being afforded from an organization that would rather contend for playoff berths than risk the immediate future of their jobs by letting him walk for the chance to give someone else the chance to be or become better. There's plenty wrong with this but it's basically off-chute from us in the the ignorant masses overestimating the benefits of great wealth (and motivating its pursuit), wanting too much immediate gratification (and making it easier for coaches to part ways with SB aspirations in favor of job security), and our use/misuse of capitalism in general. Well, then. This really is just another day in American popular culture. Horay for consistency?

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":3oqcfmgh said:
If ever a QB was overpaid, this is it.

How many QBs in the league could have scored 45 against the Colts without Charles most of the game, and that receiving corps they have?

More importantly, which of the available QBs in free agency/trade last year could have done what he did in KC?

The guy is good. He played better last year in KC than he ever did in SF in my opinion, if you factor in overall production and his supporting cast.

What he lacks in making big throws compared to Cutler, Romo, etc. he more than makes up for in reading defenses, moving the chains with his feet, etc.

BTW, Wilson fans:

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 1h
Something to note/appreciate about Alex Smith: He funnels a big portion of his salary to his foundation, which benefits foster children.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Alex Smith is a solid starting quarterback and that's the going rate in the NFL for solid starting quarterbacks these days. Smith's stats last year were very comparable to Andrew Luck's stats and he led his team to an 11-5 record after they were 2-14 the previous season, yet Smith is considered a game manager while Luck "carries" his team and is being rated as a top five quarterback. Go figure.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":hfui4dns said:
Theres Bradford,RG#3,Krapernick,Romo and Flacco among others...I don't get why teams do this but eventually someone will figure it out..I would rather have more good players all around on team than be like the Cowboys or Bears
where you have 2-3 players making you weak overall with no chance of getting to a Super Bowl..I sure hope Russ is friendly because J/P aren't going to kill this team..(Defense wins Championships)

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Not saying he's good or bad but what he is, is just flat out boring to watch.

Good for him though. Fair for both sides I think.

TXHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":j9qpbvyj said:
rideaducati":j9qpbvyj said:
Theres Bradford,RG#3,Krapernick,Romo and Flacco among others...I don't get why teams do this but eventually someone will figure it out..I would rather have more good players all around on team than be like the Cowboys or Bears
where you have 2-3 players making you weak overall with no chance of getting to a Super Bowl..I sure hope Russ is friendly because J/P aren't going to kill this team..(Defense wins Championships)

RG3's cap hit for 2014 is about $5.7M which isn't much of a drag on their cap. The draft picks they've given up to get him have been more expensive so far but you can hardly blame that on him.

The Seahawks had an historic defense last year and still came within one loss of being the wild card and two losses from not making the playoffs at all. With a lesser QB behind that bad offensive line last year the Seahawks probably don't get a sniff of the Super Bowl. The Seahawks will pay Russell Wilson fair market value.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TXHawk":1tf4998a said:
IndyHawk":1tf4998a said:
rideaducati":1tf4998a said:

RG3's cap hit for 2014 is about $5.7M which isn't much of a drag on their cap. The draft picks they've given up to get him have been more expensive so far but you can hardly blame that on him.

The Seahawks had an historic defense last year and still came within one loss of being the wild card and two losses from not making the playoffs at all. With a lesser QB behind that bad offensive line last year the Seahawks probably don't get a sniff of the Super Bowl. The Seahawks will pay Russell Wilson fair market value.
Which will be 18-22 million more likely to be on the high end of that scale. Luckily the cap is going up so it will affect very little and likely be a bargain 2-4 years from now.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":2tcyeszr said:
rideaducati":2tcyeszr said:

How many QBs in the league could have scored 45 against the Colts without Charles most of the game, and that receiving corps they have?

More importantly, which of the available QBs in free agency/trade last year could have done what he did in KC?

The guy is good. He played better last year in KC than he ever did in SF in my opinion, if you factor in overall production and his supporting cast.

What he lacks in making big throws compared to Cutler, Romo, etc. he more than makes up for in reading defenses, moving the chains with his feet, etc.

BTW, Wilson fans:

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 1h
Something to note/appreciate about Alex Smith: He funnels a big portion of his salary to his foundation, which benefits foster children.

Matt Flynn holds the record in Green Bay for most touchdown passes in a game. Many QBs could have scored 45 against the Colts if the Colts played like they did the first three quarters. One game does not make Alex Smith worth that much money. The other 16 games Smith played showed that he can definitely hit his checkdown receiver and can lead an average team to wins over the bottom of the league teams, but against winning teams, not so much.