NFL needs to address crappy field conditions

Jville

Reaction score
The NFL has failed to establish a minimum standard for field conditions. Could it be time for the player's union to fill the void and apply pressure on the league?

[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/nfl-needs-to-address-crappy-field-conditions/[/urltargetblank]

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's crazy how ignorant owners are when it comes to field condition.

All the picks and money invested in RGIII are wasted because of field conditions. Then the first over all pick goes down. Ridiculous.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ivotuk":2inqstrf said:

All the picks and money invested in RGIII are wasted because of field conditions. Then the first over all pick goes down. Ridiculous.
2nd overall pick.

I agree, though. Snyder has cost himself WAY more money by trying to be cheap with his field than it would have cost to keep it properly maintained in the first place, at this point.

Treghc

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qz5ii4t said:
ivotuk":1qz5ii4t said:

2nd overall pick.

I agree, though. Snyder has cost himself WAY more money by trying to be cheap with his field than it would have cost to keep it properly maintained in the first place, at this point.

Jadaveon Clowney (the person whom I am sure ivotuk was referring to in his final statement) was the #1 pick and is out for 4-6 weeks thanks to field conditions.

Lxx

Reaction score
Not to mention a huge water shortage that only gets worst by having to maintain these grass fields (like Soldier Field).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
FieldTurf should be mandatory. If it were this wouldn't be an issue. I worry for RGIII because he may not survive week 5 because of Jay Gruden's offense.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Growing turfgrass for an NFL season is an interesting challenge. The ideal time to plant seed or lay sod is in the fall so it can have the winter to grow in fully and grow strong in the spring. This is not possible with the NFL schedule without it being beat up by the season. If you do this in the spring then you have to deal with the sun and heat beating it down.

You can try to lay new sod down during the season but it takes time to root. It might hold for the season but when you beat the crap out of while it's rooting you're killing it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":2czovwyi said:

........and Clemons.

I was amazed at how crappy Denver's field was last week........in week one? How the hell does that even happen?

I'm not a field turf nazi, but holy moly man if you're an owner with real grass, figure it out.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Denver can grow the heck out of grass just it's combustible. Football fields they have an issue with.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Treghc":24oayi26 said:
RolandDeschain":24oayi26 said:
ivotuk":24oayi26 said:

2nd overall pick.

Jadaveon Clowney (the person whom I am sure ivotuk was referring to in his final statement) was the #1 pick and is out for 4-6 weeks thanks to field conditions.
Oh, I thought when he said "then the first overall pick goes down", he was referring to RGKnee, still. Didn't realize he was talking about Clowney this year. Never mind! :)

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Honestly I am stunned that there wasn't a bigger push for this after RGIII blew out his knee in that playoff game considering how much the league was hyping him at the time. But yeah, this needs to happen and teams that don't keep up the quality of their fields need to start paying fines and even forfeiting draft picks if they can't get their turf right.

Reaction score
It's crazy don't talk to reporters get a fine, wear your jersey out, the same penalty. Socks rolled down forget it, but have football fields that cows wouldn't crap on.... That's ok!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Lxx":cqqcj6dx said:
Not to mention a huge water shortage that only gets worst by having to maintain these grass fields (like Soldier Field).

There's not a huge water shortage, except in CA. Which is a desert, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.