Rule question - incorrect call by ref - review? Play over?

mikeak

Reaction score
So I was stuck watching the first quarter plus on the game mix channel and saw a play in the Bengals-Panthers game that made me wonder what the rules are.

There was a play at the end of the game it was clearly a lateral ball. No doubt period. Issue is the receiver dropped it / never caught it - the ball bounced on the ground and the receiver picked it up on the bounce and continued running forward and would most likely have scored a TD.

The not so smart ref whistled the play dead because the ball hit the ground. I mean a guy that stands on a perfectly straight line with the qb and that is paid to know the rules shouldn't be expected to know the rules right....

Regardless - what are the rules in regards to challenging this. lets assume it was outside of the 2min (in this game 2.22 left) on the clock then I have the following questions and wonder if anyone knows:

1) Can you challange the ruling that it was a forward incomplete pass? I think you can because if it was fumbled and there is a clear recovery by the other team it would have been challenged

2) Is the team with the ball stuck at the spot of "recovery" since it was whistled dead? In this case it means either team could have challenged and even though Benglas turned it into a great play the fact that it was whistled dead means Bengals would have lost 4-5 yards on the play?

3) OR would the play have been played over?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I believe that when a "fumble" is whistled dead, when it should have been live, the play is considered dead as far as the ability to move the ball. The recovery can be challenged, but there can be no movement, so the ball would be placed at the spot of the recovery. This is why people would rather see refs swallow the whistle in these situations.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
^ The very interesting thing with this is that Bengals would be directly penalized. Panthers then had an opportunity to review a call blown by the refs where Bengals should have advanced the ball and not only would the play be negated (as it was) the result would have been a negative.

I find it interesting and really think the fair thing (if this was challenged) would have been a redo of the play......

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":m9mc0cw3 said:
^ The very interesting thing with this is that Bengals would be directly penalized. Panthers then had an opportunity to review a call blown by the refs where Bengals should have advanced the ball and not only would the play be negated (as it was) the result would have been a negative.

I find it interesting and really think the fair thing (if this was challenged) would have been a redo of the play......

Well, since it was within the 2 minutes, the officials had complete control over this replay, but honestly, when has fairness ever been a part of how nfl games have been officiated? :lol:

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":2v5yxrd1 said:
mikeak":2v5yxrd1 said:

Well, since it was within the 2 minutes, the officials had complete control over this replay, but honestly, when has fairness ever been a part of how nfl games have been officiated? :lol:

Actually found a Bengal thread about it and it was 2.22 left on the clock. Panthers could have challenged