Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 NBA Dunk Contest ... was pretty good :)

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Anyone watch it?

    It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

    While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth





    p.s. how I rate the dunk contests, of course it seems all the ones at the beginning were the best :)

    1st: Nique vs. Jordan (1988?),

    Long time coming too since the previous year Nique was injured, and the year before that Jordan was injured. Star power. Drama. The works

    2nd: Spud Webb wins (1986?) (Spud vs Nique! Nique won the previous year)

    3rd: Jordan wins in Seattle (1987?) (Jordan's coming out party in the dunk contest, no Nique nor Webb)

    4th: Vince Carter wins (2000) (his coming out party)

    5th: Zac Levine vs Aaron Gordon (2016) (though this would not be as big a deal without #6)

    6th: Zac Levine coming out party (2015)
    byau
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1431
    Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:46 pm
    Location: Los Angeles


  • I didnt watch the whole thing, but from the highlights I saw it seemed that Gordon got robbed.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24093
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • byau wrote:Anyone watch it?

    It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

    While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth





    p.s. how I rate the dunk contests, of course it seems all the ones at the beginning were the best :)

    1st: Nique vs. Jordan (1988?),

    Long time coming too since the previous year Nique was injured, and the year before that Jordan was injured. Star power. Drama. The works

    2nd: Spud Webb wins (1986?) (Spud vs Nique! Nique won the previous year)

    3rd: Jordan wins in Seattle (1987?) (Jordan's coming out party in the dunk contest, no Nique nor Webb)

    4th: Vince Carter wins (2000) (his coming out party)

    5th: Zac Levine vs Aaron Gordon (2016) (though this would not be as big a deal without #6)

    6th: Zac Levine coming out party (2015)

    Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5155
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • Wish I still cared about the NBA. Unfortunately, Clay Bennett and David Stern extinguished that flame when they stole the Sonics.

    (Sorry, I know this doesn't add anything of value to the thread, but I really do not like the NBA - at all. Haven't watched a game ever since the Supes bolted.)
    Rob12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2688
    Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:50 am
    Location: Dayton, WA


  • IndyHawk wrote:
    byau wrote:Anyone watch it?

    It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

    While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth


    )

    Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao


    Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24093
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • JSeahawks wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    byau wrote:Anyone watch it?

    It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

    While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth


    )

    Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao


    Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).


    Very true. I think that's why nothing will ever match the first five contests. Pretty much the Jordan vs Nique was the last great one. The next year Clyde Drexler was the last all-star that entered (Beaten by Kenny Walker, who had some very athletic dunks but in no way was more than just a role player).

    The 2000 comeback was nice with McGrady, Francis, and Carter. Since then, even with some stars in it, I haven't really gotten up for it. Same dunks but forced down our throat with way too much showmanship (see Blake Griffin jump over car). Zach Lavine's win last year was the first performance in a long time which I liked. Which helped this year's be one of my top five just because of the creative showdown between the last two

    But the dunkers today are definitely not going to keep my interest like the heydey of the 80's with legit hall of famers going at it.
    byau
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1431
    Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:46 pm
    Location: Los Angeles


  • JSeahawks wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    byau wrote:Anyone watch it?

    It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

    While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth


    )

    Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao


    Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).

    You say without a doubt "more athletic" I'm going to ask "how do you figure"?I definately agree they are not better
    basketball players,their skills are not as good by far.To be fair I think coaching has a lot to so with it.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5155
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • IndyHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    byau wrote:Anyone watch it?

    It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

    While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth


    )

    Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao


    Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).

    You say without a doubt "more athletic" I'm going to ask "how do you figure"?I definately agree they are not better
    basketball players,their skills are not as good by far.To be fair I think coaching has a lot to so with it.


    The eye test. Every sport has better athletes now then it did twenty years ago. Whether its due to genetics, sports science, nutrition, more specialization from an early age, HGH and steroids, or who knows what. But I think its kind of obvious through out all sports.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24093
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon



  • )[/quote]
    Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao[/quote]

    Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).[/quote]
    You say without a doubt "more athletic" I'm going to ask "how do you figure"?I definately agree they are not better
    basketball players,their skills are not as good by far.To be fair I think coaching has a lot to so with it.[/quote]

    The eye test. Every sport has better athletes now then it did twenty years ago. Whether its due to genetics, sports science, nutrition, more specialization from an early age, HGH and steroids, or who knows what. But I think its kind of obvious through out all sports.[/quote]
    It's just funny that it doesn't make them better players and the superstars of the past sure looked like great athetes even compared to now,I'll use Jordan as a prime example.The one thing players today have is way too much unearned money that all they do is train for a few hours every other day and thats it pretty much,they have acess to free equipment,trainers,chefs and whatever else teams provide and it's fair to say that it's unfair to past players who didn't get these things unless they paid and did them on their own time but to your post I'll agree with it besides the better part because thats not so obvious at the highest level(superstar)below that I'll agree to an extent.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5155
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • It was approximately the same temperature in Toronto for the NBA all-star weekend as the Seattle vs Vikings playoff game. Just glad this slam dunk was indoors. Otherwise I would imagine worst dunk contest ever.
    Palmegranite
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 545
    Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:53 am


  • They were really cool dunks, they really were. But if they aren't household names and you don't care who wins, you're basically just watching a bunch of random guys on Youtube performing a bunch of dunks. It just doesn't resonate.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4680
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm


  • Palmegranite wrote:It was approximately the same temperature in Toronto for the NBA all-star weekend as the Seattle vs Vikings playoff game. Just glad this slam dunk was indoors. Otherwise I would imagine worst dunk contest ever.

    Do they usually have them outdoors or something?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 11247
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA




It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests