World Cup 2026

SeatownJay

Reaction score
FIFA voted this morning to expand the World Cup to 48 teams for 2026. Asia and Africa will each get four additional spots, while Europe will get three more. That only leaves five spots to be be split between CONCACAF, COMNEBOL, and Oceania. Currently Europe gets 14 spots, Africa gets 5, Asia gets 4½, COMNEBOL gets 4½, CONCACAF gets 3½, and Oceania gets ½. The USA is the current favorite to host World Cup 2026.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/01/10/ ... from-2026/

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'll also add, for those that haven't read the article, that the format will be 16 3-team groups with the top 2 teams advancing to a 32-team knockout stage.

sdog1981

Reaction score
At first I was like this is too much. But it looks like they are going to reduce the number of group games and have more knock out games. same number of games.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
sdog1981":3iuirsri said:
At first I was like this is too much. But it looks like they are going to reduce the number of group games and have more knock out games. same number of games.
The total number of games will be up, but the number of games an individual team plays will be the same or less.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Congratulations to the USA Men's team for qualifying for the 2026 world cup. How is that going to affect qualifying three teams from the same region have just qualified for a region that only sends 4.5 teams max.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
sdog1981":2mgoaijv said:
Congratulations to the USA Men's team for qualifying for the 2026 world cup. How is that going to affect qualifying three teams from the same region have just qualified for a region that only sends 4.5 teams max.

Good point... maybe they rig something up to send more than 4.5 that year. Or maybe they don’t put Canada and Mexico in automatically since they have much fewer games hosted (but I doubt it. Canada and Mexico would throw a hissy fit if they hosed teams and didn’t make it)

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":12ycdxny said:
sdog1981":12ycdxny said:

Good point... maybe they rig something up to send more than 4.5 that year. Or maybe they don’t put Canada and Mexico in automatically since they have much fewer games hosted (but I doubt it. Canada and Mexico would throw a hissy fit if they hosed teams and didn’t make it)
2026 will be the first WC to feature 48 teams, so CONCACAF will be getting six slots. They have also not officially given automatic berths to the 3 host nations for 2026 at this time.

Latest posts