World Cup 2018

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":btgxkade said:
Uncle Si":btgxkade said:
Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground

Good. This is what happens when you're the floppiest flopper who ever flopped.............you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs.

He CAN'T NOT embellish a foul.

I like how Belgium's using their size advantage to push Brazil around and frustrate them.

And that's what's wrong with the game...

He embellishes because he gets no protection from the refs (or his teammates). It's an absurd situation and people need to readjust their perspective

but that's just me

toffee

Reaction score
Is it me, or team from Europe enjoy size advantage against team from other continents? OK in soccer, bigger may not be better, but most Europeans seems to be taller and bulkier.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2z5swrwj said:
Sgt. Largent":2z5swrwj said:
Uncle Si":2z5swrwj said:
Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground

Good. This is what happens when you're the floppiest flopper who ever flopped.............you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs.

He CAN'T NOT embellish a foul.

I like how Belgium's using their size advantage to push Brazil around and frustrate them.

And that's what's wrong with the game...

He embellishes because he gets no protection from the refs (or his teammates). It's an absurd situation and people need to readjust their perspective

but that's just me

Neymar broke a record for called fouls in a WC match. He also broke a record at PSG....................... so get out with this nonsense.

http://www.businessinsider.com/neymar-f ... ars-2018-6

http://www.espn.com/soccer/paris-saint- ... op-leagues

Neymar embellishes for the same reason a lot of players embellish, it gets them calls and backs defenders off because they know as soon as they breathe on him, he's going down like he was ran over by a car.

It's why most soccer fans enjoy the Euro leagues over latin leagues, too many floppers and nonsense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":2ly011ih said:
Is it me, or team from Europe enjoy size advantage against team from other continents? OK in soccer, bigger may not be better, but most Europeans seems to be taller and bulkier.

Yes. In general latin/south american people are smaller, so therefore their players are as well.

Europe is obviously a bigger melting pot of different nationalities from all over the world. Also a big influx of African immigrants over the past 20 years or so.

But IMO that's the beauty of soccer, you can win tactically more than one way. Quick and technical like Spain, or using size, athleticism and aggressiveness like Germany (or Belgium just did).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So hold on.. he breaks a record for fouls against him and you think it's because he embellishes?

Jesus...

the man gets hacked, clipped, punched, pinched, kicked, pulled, stamped and stomped more than any player in the league and barely gets any protection. for all the fouls he draws, there are dozens that dont. for every flailing on the ground, there is some offense that goes completely without punishment elicited against him.

People focus on his theatrics without watching what is actually happening to him on the field. The same goes for many players and fans fall right into place.

He had a man grind his metal studs into his ankle and people scream at him for "embellishing" the injury while the perpetrator doesn't even get a mean look from the ref.

Yes, he embellishes. A lot of them do. But he has also been getting the shit kicked out of him with not a whistle blown to help him. Those that aren't seeing it aren't watching the game very closely, or don't know what they're watching.

So get out with that nonsense.

Call fouls. give cards and retroactively ban players for diving. Thats how you get away with it. To be clear, i'm not backing Neymar here, just the idea that fans want "fakers" punished but let literal crimes go on the field without a word. I could care less about him, just want the game cleaned up.

Also, people watch the Euro leagues because that's where all the best players are. Spain (which is latin, in nature, i think) outdraws them all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3hpigrfk said:
So hold on.. he breaks a record for fouls against him and you think it's because he embellishes?

You said he doesn't get protection from the refs and his teammates, and I was proving you wrong by showing you that he gets more calls than anyone in his own league AND this WC.

And this is pure speculation, but I'd guess that he doesn't get protection from his teammates because they don't like him being a punk flopper rolling around on the ground like an idiot either................and I'd also venture to guess it's also why he's AS talented as Messi and Ronaldo, yet is rarely mentioned in the "best current player" conversation.

People don't respect the nonsense. If he's just take the foul without the histrionics and carrying on, he might actually gain more respect from fans, peers and his own teammates.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rwcmbqm6 said:
Uncle Si":rwcmbqm6 said:

You said he doesn't get protection from the refs and his teammates, and I was proving you wrong by showing you that he gets more calls than anyone in his own league AND this WC.

And this is pure speculation, but I'd guess that he doesn't get protection from his teammates because they don't like him being a punk flopper rolling around on the ground like an idiot either................and I'd also venture to guess it's also why he's AS talented as Messi and Ronaldo, yet is rarely mentioned in the "best current player" conversation.

People don't respect the nonsense. If he's just take the foul without the histrionics and carrying on, he might actually gain more respect from fans, peers and his own teammates.

Do you think the histrionics come with every foul? Like the 11 times he was fouled earlier in the tournament he was on the ground holding his ankle? have you watched how often he gets clubbed and no fouls are called? probably not.
The calls aren't "protection"

That's the way the game should be refereed.

Protection is getting yellow and red cards issued for all the hard, tactical fouls he incurs.

I also dont think you understand what "protection from a teammate" in soccer would entail. I imagine his teammates are just fine with him.

Being one of the most popular players in the world would also indicate he's quite popular. given the battering he takes on behalf of his club, country and teammates is not something his teammates don't notice.

I laugh at the people who can, in one breath bash a player like Neymar for "flopping" or "faking" and in the same breath point to all the fouls he earns as some measure of balance. It shows a misunderstanding of what takes place on the field.

Also, I can't remember a time in the last 3 years a conversation about the "best player" didnt come up and involve Neymar. He finished 3rd in Baloon D'or last year, 5th in 2016, 3rd in 2015 and is shortlisted this year.

and he's 26.

Is he perfect? no. He deserves criticism at times.

But this notion that what is being done to him (and has been done to Messi for years in la liga, Ronaldo and Ronaldihno before them) is somehow part of the game and they should "get over it" is ridiculous and exactly why the sport has some of the issues it does.

Neymar is a reaction to it, not a cause.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qj573lc said:
But this notion that what is being done to him (and has been done to Messi for years in la liga, Ronaldo and Ronaldihno before them) is somehow part of the game and they should "get over it" is ridiculous and exactly why the sport has some of the issues it does.

Neymar is a reaction to it, not a cause.

I don't think he or any player should "get over it."

I think he should take a page from Messi. Arguably the greatest player on the planet, and he gets hacked and thugged more than anyone, and he NEVER dives.

I think that goes a long way towards earning the respect from the refs and peers. You know refs Si, they hate the diving part of soccer, it makes their jobs really hard............especially in the pressure packed fishbowl of the WC.

That's all I'm saying, embellishment is part of the game, and as we've discussed in other threads it's not a big part of it. But players like Neymar don't help the cause, and they certainly don't help THEIR cause with all the histrionics.

Or maybe it does, cause he gets a ton of fouls called. But sorry, I don't feel sorry for a player that embellishes as much as he does when it comes to not getting a call, or not having a yellow or red called.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Largent is spot on. He brings it upon himself because he wants to dribble so much and then embellishes/simulates at every opportunity. If you never try to muscle out any type of contact, you're going to be seen by everybody as a flopper and you no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt and will only get obvious calls for you. This is soccer 101 from like the age 12 on. You can't try to take on an entire back line then flail on normal contact and ask for a foul when you have virtually no shot of maintaining possession through the run.

If he would attempt to play through contact and not writhe around in feigned agony, he'd win more respect and trust with referees, players and everyone else.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2m776h6j said:
If he would attempt to play through contact and not writhe around in feigned agony, he'd win more respect and trust with referees, players and everyone else.

You mean like this.

[youtube]SM5Svfgc628[/youtube]

Wait, I thought the refs hate Neymar............and these are the dives that resulted in red cards. lol.

[youtube]UoKzHcz1JOk[/youtube]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
yeah... messi never dives

TotalSardonicBluebreastedkookaburra max 1mb
SlipperyFlakyAfghanhound max 1mb (or embellishes)

Giphy (or fakes)

Neymar hard foul (not even a yellow on this by the way)

neymarfoul.gif
(not a foul called)

over the 1000s of minutes these guys have played you search videos that are meant to try and prove a straw man argument?

Come on Sarge.

The point, whether you wish to believe it, is the theatrical aspects of all of these players comes from a lack of protection from referees. Embellishment (ask anyone who has played at higher levels) is less about "cheating" and more about "the refs never call anything if you dont"

You can choose to batter a player like Neymar because you dont like his reactions. But you're missing the much, much bigger picture. or ignore what Neymar does play through, focus on theatrics, and continue to watch the game deteriorate.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
anyways... moving the conversation..

very pleased with watching Belgium this whole tournament. Great in transition, creative in possession.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I feel for Russian fans. Croatian GK was basically on one leg and they couldn’t win the shootout. One of the guys even gave him a soft kick right to him.... like a gift. There should be some really good games next week. I think it’s going to be France and England in the final.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":11umma6i said:
I feel for Russian fans. Croatian GK was basically on one leg and they couldn’t win the shootout. One of the guys even gave him a soft kick right to him.... like a gift. There should be some really good games next week. I think it’s going to be France and England in the final.

One of the worst panenka's i've ever seen... and at a terrible time. added, it made no sense to go to the keeper's right if he has a pulled right hamstring.

Russian's were still very unfortunate given the way Modric's penalty found it's way in.

Best scenario for the semi's I couldve dreamed up. Very well balanced teams (i'd say best balanced teams in the tournament are in the final 4) with eyes to go forward. Belgium and Croatia have the stronger midfields. Belgium the best keeper. England has the better back 4 and probably the best striker. France has the pace and best overall quality.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'm rooting for Belgium because Eden Hazard is one of my favorite players to watch. I just wish he didn't play for Chelsea, but I suppose that's better than ManU or Arsenal. :p

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":334y1l4m said:
I'm rooting for Belgium because Eden Hazard is one of my favorite players to watch. I just wish he didn't play for Chelsea, but I suppose that's better than ManU or Arsenal. :p

He is one of my favorites as well.

I can see Real coming after him this window. I don't think he'd want to stay at Chelsea without Champs league

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1q9cuqp5 said:

Lets be honest, Russia was in a weak group, got a great hometown draw and was lucky to make it this far.

They played their ass off, so I'll give them credit. But Croatia is the better side, and IMO deserved to go through.

And as much as I love Luka Modric, I'd also love to see a France and England final. So much old school animosity and history between the countries, it'd be epic.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37trzg5w said:
hawkfan68":37trzg5w said:

Lets be honest, Russia was in a weak group, got a great hometown draw and was lucky to make it this far.

They played their ass off, so I'll give them credit. But Croatia is the better side, and IMO deserved to go through.

And as much as I love Luka Modric, I'd also love to see a France and England final. So much old school animosity and history between the countries, it'd be epic.

any of the permutations will make for a great match. I while do think that the two countries have forgiven each other for their respective roles in the colonial wars of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, England-Belgium seems a better overall match to me.

But again, any of them look real good on paper, and each will be tough to pick a winner.

Ranking the 4 teams left, I'd say:

1. Belgium (better overall balance)
2. France (better overall talent, barely, over Belgium)
3. England (decent balance, best striker)
4. Croatia (best midfield left)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34zfri8b said:
. I while do think that the two countries have forgiven each other for their respective roles in the colonial wars of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries,)

NEVER FORGET!

Ke france food people wine reasons to like 2687753

From what I've watched this WC, I'd swap Belgium and France in your rankings............but I agree any of the four combos would be great.

And Si, no NEYMAR WOOT!

[youtube]vruEFPu-Gr8[/youtube]