Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pm
  • Can we please shelve the felix talk for a second and talk about ichiro.. specifically in my eyes the most blatant and indefensible act of choosing money and marketing of winning I’ve ever seen. IMO everything else the Mariners have done, while maybe not intelligent and while maybe actually sometimes all in the name of selling tickets (ie: how we are handling Felix) could at least be sort of backed up in baseball terms.

    Now how the hell do you justify not just bringing back ichiro, but starting him opening day. His age and spring training performance show that the mariners organization doesn’t give two $h!t about winning if they can make a dollar by whoring him out in Japan in a GAME THAT ACUALLY MATTERS it’s gross and it’s insultimg to fans... shame on the mariners organization
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4151
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:13 pm
  • I think you answered all your own questions.

    I really dont see the issue giving the greatest Japanese mlb player a roster spot on the team that gave him a chance to be one of the best hitters in mlb history for 2 games in japan.

    I think its the opposite of an insult to many fans, who see it as a celebration.

    How many times have we seen aging stars on the field way past their prime on their farewell tour who just cant play?

    Its 2 games. In japan.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 16704
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:17 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:Can we please shelve the felix talk for a second and talk about ichiro.. specifically in my eyes the most blatant and indefensible act of choosing money and marketing of winning I’ve ever seen. IMO everything else the Mariners have done, while maybe not intelligent and while maybe actually sometimes all in the name of selling tickets (ie: how we are handling Felix) could at least be sort of backed up in baseball terms.

    Now how the hell do you justify not just bringing back ichiro, but starting him opening day. His age and spring training performance show that the mariners organization doesn’t give two $h!t about winning if they can make a dollar by whoring him out in Japan in a GAME THAT ACUALLY MATTERS it’s gross and it’s insultimg to fans... shame on the mariners organization


    Very much agreed on the Ichiro fiasco. Watching him go 0 for 6 in the 2 exhibition games should've been enough-the nostalgic Japanese fans got to see him and that's more than enough. But no the piss ass front office is going to trot him out there for 2 regular season games and all the hoopla about him on the M's website and in the Times is vomit inducing.

    He's taking away ABs from deserving players and that's inexcusable at this point when you're trying to develop young prospects.

    And the Felix situation is just as bad. He got rocked in 4 innings against the frigging Yomiuri Giants and walked 3- his spring era including this game is 13.50 and yet he'll be in the rotation til June as the front office doesn’t have the balls or common sense to release his ass. And his damn b!@ch and complaining the last 2 years has revealed his true character. He's become a whining distraction and needs to be let go- they're on the hook for 27 mil regardless so just move on!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2455
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I think you answered all your own questions.

    I really dont see the issue giving the greatest Japanese mlb player a roster spot on the team that gave him a chance to be one of the best hitters in mlb history for 2 games in japan.

    I think its the opposite of an insult to many fans, who see it as a celebration.

    How many times have we seen aging stars on the field way past their prime on their farewell tour who just cant play?

    Its 2 games. In japan.


    Disagree because Ichiro was given that opportunity for the 2 exhibition games. Tokyo got to celebrate him, watch him go 0 for 6, make a catch and that's more than sufficient for a farewell. When you're developing prospects they need all the ABs they can get and Ichiro will be taking away such ABs from more deserving players.

    And it doesn't matter that this is a rebuild-you want to put the best product out on the field, particularly for the opening series and Ichiro has proven this spring and last year he doesn't belong on a major league roster anymore.

    If he wants to continue playing I'm sure a team in the Atlantic League would employ his services and fans of his could stream his play online.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2455
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:37 pm
  • I dont think he has any interest in playing past these two games.

    Its ceremonial. Nothing more... and something we have seen dozens of times with soon to be hall of famers in this league.

    If hes taking ABs from young (healthy... remember this team is having an injury crisis with its up and comers) in late April, then sure, indignation for all.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 16704
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I dont think he has any interest in playing past these two games.

    Its ceremonial. Nothing more... and something we have seen dozens of times with soon to be hall of famers in this league.

    If hes taking ABs from young (healthy... remember this team is having an injury crisis with its up and comers) in late April, then sure, indignation for all.


    But I'm kind of confused.. wasn't last year before he worked in the front office the "farewell tour"? I already feel this concept is sort of dumb. I can understand if the player is just to the point of getting too old to play. But a guy like Ichiro is way past his prime. Imo at a certain point it just becomes an insult to the team and the fans to throw him out there. I believe we have passed that point already.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4151
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 pm
  • If the season wasnt starting in japan he wouldn't be on the team.

    I think thsts the major difference here. I think this is as much, if not more, for the japanes fans than anything else. It is marketing, and paying respect to one of the franchises best players.

    Maybe it will prove to be something more... and worse.

    But ive no issues with him taking a roster spot (on an expanded roster) for 2 games.

    If hes eating up ABs against Boston... yeah thats an issue.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 16704
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 am
  • The way Ichiro and Felix have been handled over the last year have put about the worst possible taste in my mouth when it comes to the Mariners. What a joke of a franchise.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 am
  • I don't really care that Ichiro is playing in Japan because this team isn't suppose to contend. I wonder what would have happened if we decided to go for it this year and not rebuild. He probably still would have played, maybe not start the game.

    But it says a lot about Mariners the culture of this franchise. As a young up and coming player, why would I want to play for a team that plays washed up old guys over young guys? I think it sends the wrong message. It's the opposite of a competition. The Mariners are probably one of the few franchises that would do this, but that's also why the Mariners are one of the worst major sports franchises in our country. I'm fine with Ichiro playing because if he gets a hit, it will probably be the highlight of our season. At the same time, I think it could lead to some problems later on in the season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4209
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:49 pm
  • Id agree with this except alot of the up and comers arent traveling due to injury or they arent quite ready.

    Ichiro isnt stealing anything from the future.. yet. Lets hope the club makes this ceremonial appointment just that and leaves it in japan
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 16704
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:38 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Id agree with this except alot of the up and comers arent traveling due to injury or they arent quite ready.

    Ichiro isnt stealing anything from the future.. yet. Lets hope the club makes this ceremonial appointment just that and leaves it in japan

    Most folks are saying that Ichiro will be taken off the 40 man roster after the Japan trip. For one thing, they're hoping Mallex will be ready by then. I'm hoping they find room for Braden Bishop. That kid is exciting.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 17785
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Id agree with this except alot of the up and comers arent traveling due to injury or they arent quite ready.

    Ichiro isnt stealing anything from the future.. yet. Lets hope the club makes this ceremonial appointment just that and leaves it in japan

    Most folks are saying that Ichiro will be taken off the 40 man roster after the Japan trip. For one thing, they're hoping Mallex will be ready by then. I'm hoping they find room for Braden Bishop. That kid is exciting.

    They better. He has no reason being on the team. Call me bitter, but it's ridiculous. I'm sorry, but what does this team gain by having him participate in Spring Training over a youngster hoping for a chance? Ichiro and his 1-35 in ST has no business here.

    This team does have some very exciting OF prospects. Bishop, Lewis (please please show us something and stay healthy), Fraley, Rodriguez, Keleni, etc. So much potential. Bishop looks like a stud, and he hasn't even played above AA. For the love, I hope this isn't another tease like Taylor Motter.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1643
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 pm
  • Wow. Nice victory Mariners. DoSwingo and Tim Beckam! Lets keeep it goin
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm
    Location: Ich tu dir weh


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:06 am
  • So.....

    7-1

    (!!!!!!!!)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 16704
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:38 am
  • In 8 games, starting pitchers are 7-0 with one ND. And YK left that game with the lead in the 6th.

    :shock:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 17785
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 am
  • Helluva start for a team most were expecting to be pretty bad. I'm sure they'll come back down to earth but it's been really fun watching this team so far. Lineup has been on fire, starting rotation looks good, bullpen looks shaky. Should be quite entertaining at the least.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3368
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 am
  • Yeah, this has been a blast. The joke around the office is telling people "I can't believe my 7-1 prediction to start the year is so on point." :lol:

    I hope to continue to be very wrong, this team is fun to watch. Bullpen is pretty scary though.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14779
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Previous


It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests