Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:45 pm
  • wow, just wow
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:51 pm

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:04 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Sounds like the Ms are going into full rebuild mode. They've traded James Paxton to the Yankees.

Wow. Well they're certainly full rebuild mode now as suspected but man is it still stunning seeing that headline. How do these prospects look? And good luck to Pax in NY. Hope he stays healthy and does well.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:57 pm
  • I was reading that we got schooled in this trade. Scouts are saying Sheffield probably tops out as a #3 stafter, and some question if he ever will become an MLB starting pitcher with his control problems. The other two guys we got weren’t even top 10 in the Yankees farm system.

I’m all for trading Paxton, but if we do I either want a guy who can play right away and a couple prospects, or a prospect who can be an ace. Seems like we got a bunch of low ceiling guys.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:24 pm
  • I don't know if a better offer was out there prospect wise..JS is a lefty which is a plus and the
    third guy seems like he may be something if you look at his numbers.
    I hate giving the Yankees anything but who usually comes ahead in our trades?
    The rebuild is on now and if Pax didn't get hurt so much..I'd be upset with the trade.
    Most of us wanted to rebuild from minors up so this had to happen and Pax is not
    a young arm anymore.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm
  • Rebuild worked mostly good for the As, Braves and Brewers.
    "Why not us?"
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:17 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Rebuild worked mostly good for the As, Braves and Brewers.
    "Why not us?"

Because we are always rebuilding.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:18 pm
  • sutz wrote:Oh, good. Trade our best pitcher to one of the best teams in the league. :34853_doh:

The Mariner way, we are the AAA team for the Yankees and Texans.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 pm
  • I could care less if it is the Yankees. We aren’t in the AL East, I don’t get why people get so caught up with them. We are rebuilding anyways, it’s not like giving them Paxton will put them ahead of us for a World Series. We aren’t going to be a playoff contender for a while.

The issue with this trade isn’t the team we sent him to or the guy we traded away, it is what we got back.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:18 pm
  • Front office clearly has no concept of what they are doing, while I don't believe oft injured players are the answer: resigning Hernandez and getting rid of Paxton. Beyond stupid. getting rid of three swings your out black hole catcher was the best move.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 pm
  • It looks like the M’s got schooled on the surface but who knows, time will tell.
    Always hated trading for over-rated Yankee prospects, Russ Davis ring a bell?

Jerry should have got Boston involved, and have them bid against each other.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:It looks like the M’s got schooled on the surface but who knows, time will tell.

Buhner was the other one...

But yeah, I thought the AStros were in heavy contention for Pax.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:07 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:It looks like the M’s got schooled on the surface but who knows, time will tell.

Buhner was the only trade with the yanks that worked in Seattle’s favor, and that’s only becuase they were owned by the Jerruh Jones of baseball (Steinbrenner).
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:It looks like the M’s got schooled on the surface but who knows, time will tell.

I read that we were in talks with the Astros but they didn’t want to give up Forrest Whitley so it was a no deal.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 pm
  • Well they had thought they fleeced us with Buhner, I think he was hitting around .119 or so at the time and they wanted our Slugger if I remember Phelps may have been the guy at the time, going off memory here.

Buhner started playing and git better fast, George I think said it was one of his biggest mistakes ever, Buhner also happened to have his best games against the Yankees here or there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:13 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I was reading that we got schooled in this trade. Scouts are saying Sheffield probably tops out as a #3 stafter, and some question if he ever will become an MLB starting pitcher with his control problems. The other two guys we got weren’t even top 10 in the Yankees farm system.

I’m all for trading Paxton, but if we do I either want a guy who can play right away and a couple prospects, or a prospect who can be an ace. Seems like we got a bunch of low ceiling guys.

I don't know man. Check out this kid's stuff and arm action. I can see why Dipoto is high on him. Just 22, lefty, mid 90s with cutting action, wickedly sick slider. Control can be harnessed- Pax's command wasn't stellar when he came up either. This kid is definitely pipeline's #31 for a reason.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:45 pm
  • He looks great on tape, there is no doubt about that. The question is with his command. If he can become a front end of the rotation starter, the trade will have worked out. But a lot of scouts question whether he is a starter or a bullpen guy. Same with the other pitcher we got. Unfortunately with MLB deals that involve prospects, you don't know for a few years.

Sounds like Segura might be the next to go. Reports were that the Yanks were looking at him before they looked at Paxton. My guess is he will be the next guy to go. Segura is 28, if we are talking about competing in a couple years, not sure a 30 year old guy who can't hit for power is in the plans. If we can swing some prospects for him I'd be fine with it. I think the experiment with Dee Gordon in the OF is done, so we could move him back to SS to replace Segura,or 2B assuming Cano goes to 1B. Even though Dipoto said Diaz is untouchable, it sounds like they will listen to offers for him. His stock won't be any higher than it is now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm
  • Trouble with the Mariners, even when we think we get a good prospect we seem to ruin them especially hitters.

The Mariners rebuild has been like building a house of cards in a windstorm always seems to have been since Gillick and Piniella left.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:49 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:Rumor per Ken Rosenthal, Padres in works for acquiring Segura and Mike Leake for utility player Wil Myers. Deal may not be close to completion though.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... s.amp.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosentha ... gr%5Etweet

Sounds like Seattle would be getting the short end of the stick again on that trade.

I’d be up more for trading Seager for a bag of baseballs and eating his salary.
    Same for Félix, sadly. M’s refuse to eat bad contracts though and that’s why this rebuilds chances of working are slim.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:22 pm
  • Just how does Will Myer fit in the role of a prospect, if that's the direction we are heading in?

And.. don't we already have a first baseman in the minors who we are high on.. who I really wish they would convert to 3b.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:51 pm
  • Meyers is a little younger than Segura, but sounds like getting Leake’s contract off the books could be the main reason for this trade.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:10 am
  • I really was hoping Sheffield would have stayed a yankee. I believe that kid is going to be a ace in 3 years. He is a lefty who can hit 98, 99 if need be. He reminds me of a left handed Severino. Once he figures his control out he will be better than severino. And don’t sleep on that outfielder you guys got. They project him to be a 4th outfielder on a team but he def can be a full time starter batting in the 2 hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12thmanNY
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:53 am
  • 12thmanNY wrote:I really was hoping Sheffield would have stayed a yankee. I believe that kid is going to be a ace in 3 years. He is a lefty who can hit 98, 99 if need be. He reminds me of a left handed Severino. Once he figures his control out he will be better than severino. And don’t sleep on that outfielder you guys got. They project him to be a 4th outfielder on a team but he def can be a full time starter batting in the 2 hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep hearing the opposite. I watched a some MLB Network today and both experts said that Sheffield projects anywhere from a starter to a pen guy. Serious concerns with his command. Obviously Dipoto likes him, we will find out in a couple years if he hit on this trade. Some also think Swanson is more a pen guy than a back end starter. The hitter we acquired sounds like a throw in. He's pretty old for being in single A. They said he will have to really hit in double A this season to have a chance.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm

• In short: the Mariners would eat $10 million of the roughly $24 million Cano is owed each year and the Mets would either unload Jay Bruce on the Mariners or, possibly, pick up a good everyday player in the deal. Martino mentions Edwin Diaz or Mitch Haniger, which seems like an awful lot — indeed, the Mariners have been reported to consider them off limits — but that’s what he’s saying. He’s also saying the Mets would play Cano at second base for the time being and move Jeff McNeil to third. I guess Todd Frazier goes and lives on a farm up north? You know, where he can run free outside all day long? I dunno.

If a deal does happen, I can see it being a positive for the Mets even if another player doesn’t come over from Seattle. Cano makes a ton of money now, but at a reasonable salary he’s still a good player to have around. Cano was suspended for 80 games last year but he hit well after coming back from his suspension, going .317/.363/.497 in 40 games in the second half. There’s no reason to think that he doesn’t have at least a couple of good offensive years left.

Guess we’ll wait and watch.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 pm
  • Another good article on Cano/Diaz trade rationales:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... imits/amp/

It's the notion that Jerry would be willing to part with Diaz and get just 1 prospect if someone is willing to take on Cano's nightmare contract. But with any interested team demanding Jerry eat $50 mil minimum, the deal is less attractive to Sea.

For max rebuild value it's more logical to trade Diaz separately for a few top prospects and trade Cano with someone else and try to get at least a little savings.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:12 pm
  • The Mariners are still around?
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:The Mariners are still around?

Yeah, but there's a cream that will clear that right up.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm
  • Cano and Diaz to the Mets. Damn...was really hoping Diaz would be part of the rebuild. Definitely helps to get rid of Cano's contract though. Kelenic looks pretty good..
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:03 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Cano and Diaz to the Mets. Damn...was really hoping Diaz would be part of the rebuild. Not a big fan of this. Definitely helps to get rid of Cano's contract though.

More info on the potential trade. I imagine Diaz is part of the trade to encourage the taking on of Cano's contract.

Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:21 pm
  • Deal won't be official tonight but there may be just a few more details to be ironed out. https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp

For all the proponents who wanted to trade Diaz, you're about to get what you wished for. If they really wanted to maximize Diaz' value though, both the Braves and Phillies were highly interested in Diaz and Jerry could've likely gotten more prospects from either. But this is what happens when either ownership mandated Jerry to dump Cano or Jerry feels reducing payroll the next 2 years trumps securing the most prospects in return. Or the M's are truly cheap and have no intention of signing any elite, pricey FAs again.

Limited choices and opportunities to rid of Cano, but I just hope the M's get both Mets' 1st round prospects and a 3rd prospect and not just 1.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:44 pm
  • IT looks like there's some good pieces the Ms' would get in return.. Don't care to much for Bruce, he's like a one trick pony and I doubt he would want to come here to begin with.. I'm guessing it's a contract throw in as much as anything.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:33 am
  • I didn't think Cano was trade-able. I would like to know the return pieces in the deal. I've heard different things like two recent first round picks and ....from there it gets foggy. McNeil is the one Mets fans are sweating? Bruce and Swarzak look like less than average players. If we have to eat the Bruce contract the Mets should pay the entire Cano bill. I hope were getting something better than baggage in return for two great players......
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:48 am
  • So from what Ive read we will get Kelenic and Dunn who were both 1st round picks. Mets fans are not happy about giving up Kelenic especially who scouts say has star potential. Also included would be Bruce, Swarzak, and reliever Gerson Bautista.

Cano, Diaz, Cash
    For
    Kelenic, Dunn, Bruce, Swarzak, Bautista

Mets fans are very not happy about this deal. I would be very happy with this deal.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:08 am
  • As much as I hate to see Diaz go, this team isn't close to being playoff contenders, might as well get something for him when his trade value is at his highest. Especially at the very low cost from his first contract and the team control from the Mets on him.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:30 am

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:09 pm
  • anyone have a link (or willing to make a chart that can be updated) with all the outgoings and subsequent incomings, as well as current stay overs?

Interested to see what the roster looks like as the winter carries on.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:47 pm
  • Those 2 first rounders from the Mets are probaly better than anything we have in the minors now..
    I like the trade but yeah maybe we get more for Diaz alone.
    The fire sale is on..We will be getting a top 3 pick in 2020 draft for sure.
    Bye Bye Felix..Wonder what we can get for him?Lol
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:20 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:anyone have a link (or willing to make a chart that can be updated) with all the outgoings and subsequent incomings, as well as current stay overs?

https://www.rainforest-alliance.org/art ... creen-time
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:57 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Those 2 first rounders from the Mets are probaly better than anything we have in the minors now..
    I like the trade but yeah maybe we get more for Diaz alone.
    The fire sale is on..We will be getting a top 3 pick in 2020 draft for sure.
    Bye Bye Felix..Wonder what we can get for him?Lol

Regarding Felix.. all “cracker jack” type jokes aide probably the best we can hope is convince some team to take on part of his salary.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:05 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:anyone have a link (or willing to make a chart that can be updated) with all the outgoings and subsequent incomings, as well as current stay overs?

https://www.rainforest-alliance.org/art ... creen-time

Nice...

But my kids really like tv
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 pm
  • Does anyone find it odd that M's are purging or looking to purge most of their Latino players...Cruz, Diaz, Colome, Cano, and actively marketing Segura. One guy they should get rid of....Juan Nicasio is still around.

Kyle Seagar, who isn't Latino, should be gone too. They can remove Dipoto while they are at it. What he's doing now should have happened when he took over, not year 3 since he's been a GM. Houston was a much worse team at the time when Jerry took over the M's now they are much better and have a World Series championship. The M's need that type of GM and not the one they have now.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 pm
  • :roll:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Does anyone find it odd that M's are purging or looking to purge most of their Latino players...Cruz, Diaz, Colome, Cano, and actively marketing Segura. One guy they should get rid of....Juan Nicasio is still around.

Kyle Seagar, who isn't Latino, should be gone too. They can remove Dipoto while they are at it. What he's doing now should have happened when he took over, not year 3 since he's been a GM. Houston was a much worse team at the time when Jerry took over the M's now they are much better and have a World Series championship. The M's need that type of GM and not the one they have now.

:roll:
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:38 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Does anyone find it odd that M's are purging or looking to purge most of their Latino players...Cruz, Diaz, Colome, Cano, and actively marketing Segura. One guy they should get rid of....Juan Nicasio is still around.

Rebuilding. sucks.... but in this case it has to be done.
    Don’t like trading Diaz but closers don’t usually last very long. Once Diaz starts losing velocity he
    Won’t be effective. By the time the Mariners are contending Diaz won’t be closing anymore most likely.

Mariano Rivera is the exception not the rule when it comes to closers.

Would like to see Felix and Seager gone, then it would be almost a total rebuild.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:32 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Does anyone find it odd that M's are purging or looking to purge most of their Latino players...Cruz, Diaz, Colome, Cano, and actively marketing Segura. One guy they should get rid of....Juan Nicasio is still around.

Rebuilding. sucks.... but in this case it has to be done.
    Don’t like trading Diaz but closers don’t usually last very long. Once Diaz starts losing velocity he
    Won’t be effective. By the time the Mariners are contending Diaz won’t be closing anymore most likely.

Mariano Rivera is the exception not the rule when it comes to closers.

Would like to see Felix and Seager gone, then it would be almost a total rebuild.

Agreed we need to find a way to dump Felix and Seager but with those awful contracts it'll be nearly impossible to trade them. They should just release Felix and eat this last disastrous year of $27.8 million. Seager is due a ridiculous $72.5 million through '22 so they would have to link him with Segura in a trade and eat at least half that. But honestly I just don't see any team trading for Seager. Fatass Jack continues to haunt us.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:16 pm
  • Good Sea Times piece about our rebuild process and the risks/rewards. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -decision/

Hopefully our rebuild can at least mirror the Brewers and Braves’ success. And let’s hope our influx of prospects pan out and not turn into Ackley, Smoak, Montero and co. But as the article suggests, it’s really our only play.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm
  • Guys over at Lookout Landing really like the 3 Mets prospects being considered in the deal, FWIW
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:23 pm
  • Would have liked to see the name McNeil in that list.. perhaps we can add seager for him
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 pm
  • https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2018/12/ ... d-some-guy

Deal is now done. M’s “only” give $20 mil to the Mets which makes this much better for us than the rumored 50-60 mil reported earlier. Factoring in the Bruce and Swarzak contracts, M’s save appx $63 mil. Not bad. Kelenic has major upside with all the tools, Dunn only had a 4.22 era in AA but is still 23 with mid 90s stuff featuring 4 solid pitches, Bautista is 23, throws 100 but with serious command issues. So these guys are very much intriguing and hopeful prospects. Both Kelinic and Dunn top 100 MLB pipeline guys. Concerns are did the M’s really maximize their return for Díaz? Would the Phils have offered more? And had Jerry sent more cash to NY, could we have gotten McNeil or another quality prospect?
    Last edited by West TX Hawk on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information