Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » NET NATION COMMUNITY CENTER » [ THE NET NATION FAQ FORUM ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:10 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am
Posts: 6750
I disagree, but like I said...ain't my site.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1588
As a black man with many white friends, I can see how many of you feel. Yes, you are not racist and maybe have never experienced much more than sarcastic or distant racism. But to say that since you aren't being racist that you should be able to use it is a terrible argument.

Racism is still extremely prevalent in our society and was only a few decades ago when segregation was law. In fact, when my parents were to be married it was actually illegal in some states for interracial marriage to even happen.

I'm glad that you are not racist and "love black people" and all that. I love you too, but please, racism still exists, and it exists everywhere.

...........


This post actually helped me forget about that debacle on Sunday.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:48 pm 
* NET Landlord *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
Posts: 3938
Location: Owner's Box
Frankly I’m shocked by those of you pushing back on this. I’ve stated many times before that I have a zero tolerance rule for anything that can even remotely be taken as racist, and this one is well over that line. Why in the hell would you be pushing back and defending something like this when you clearly have people verifying that it’s insensitive and can be taken as a racist tone?

I honestly just don’t understand. You can claim that you’re just trying to push back against unjust censorship all you want, but you are fighting to allow a potentially racist comment!!! And for what? Because you want to be able to say it to show how people are mispronouncing it?!? Are you kidding me?

Be argumentative all you want, but be smart enough to realize that by arguing on this one, you come across as defending bigotry and racial insensitivity, and I would generally distance myself from those things if it were me.

Oh well.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:52 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am
Posts: 6750
We're all a little bit racist, or so I've heard, and being in an interracial relationship with a bi-racial daughter I'm pretty sensitive to the "distant" types of racism even if, as a white guy, I have never really had to be on the receiving end of it like so many others have. I get that I never will be able to walk in certain shoes but please don't think for a second that because of that I shouldn't try to be sensitive. My only point is that if we start attributing racial connotations (sp?) to purely coincidential situations like this one with the emphasis on the correct spelling of someone's name then I think we're missing the point.

Cheers, I'll shut up for good now on this thread.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:54 pm 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11083
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
But you know what I really hate? CANADIANS! With their perfect teeth, good looks and excellent pronunciation. Damn them! :: shakes fist at sky::

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:59 pm 
* NET Landlord *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
Posts: 3938
Location: Owner's Box
CANHawk wrote:
But you know what I really hate? CANADIANS! With their perfect teeth, good looks and excellent pronunciation. Damn them! :: shakes fist at sky::


:13:

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am
Posts: 2869
I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

We should check if the misspellings are in any way racist too.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm 
* NET Landlord *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
Posts: 3938
Location: Owner's Box
Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

We should check if the misspellings are in any way racist too.


Yes, of course we assume anyone using the term is racist. That's how we are around here. :34853_doh:

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:18 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am
Posts: 2869
RockHawk wrote:
Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

We should check if the misspellings are in any way racist too.


Yes, of course we assume anyone using the term is racist. That's how we are around here. :34853_doh:


:stirthepot:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:18 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm
Posts: 1609
How about Tarvaris?

It amazes me that people can get so upset on an internet site. They're just words. I shutter to think how some of you take things in the real world.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 pm 
** SSGT GRUMPY ** USAF BadAss
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 2075
Location: SOUTH TACOMA
LymonHawk wrote:
Firstly; I've never liked the term African American, that's why I don't use it. (My decision.)


I agree. I do not like any term that puts American second, unless of course they are native born of that particular continent or Nation. For Instance, my family immigrated from Mexico. I'm first generation American. I tell people that I'm American, or if they push for my parent's country of origin, I will say American-Mexican, or Chicano.

_________________
Image

"You hear a little girl Frankie?"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:42 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am
Posts: 755
Everyone does realize that his name is actually spelled Tarvaris and NOT Tavaris, correct??? His name is Tarvaris! I just assumed that people were trying to accentuate the correct spelling of TARvaris just as people would say DEON Grant, or SHAUN Alexander, or Grant WISTROM, or DEION Branch.

Again, if this topic wasnt posted, I would have never even imagined anything derogatory about the spelling of his name.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:59 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1588
Just because you didn't know it was derogatory doesn't mean it's not derogatory.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:17 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am
Posts: 755
But why call attention to something when i think not many people knew?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:37 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 1236
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
But why call attention to something when i think not many people knew?

At a guess I would say it's because a person or a few people were in fact using it in a derogatory sense, and in order to stop them from doing so the mods have to stop everyone from doing so.

While the vast majority I am sure are of the sort who make no distinction between people on the basis of ancestry or origin, I have seen enough things on this board since Jackson became our QB to convince me that there are definitely exceptions to that. Heck, I have even seen slights aimed at me just because I don't live in the US, even though I was born and raised there and am still a US citizen.

I support the mods in laying out the rules clearly, so that no one gets to hide behind "I was just highlighting how it's supposed to be spelled" while chuckling up his sleeve at getting away with a racial slur.

I agree with some in that special rules highlight differences between people and reinforce that the differences are meaningful, which is in its own way racist, but in this instance I think it's called for and appropriate.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:44 pm 
* NET Lead Admin *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 8506
KiwiHawk wrote:
Quote:
But why call attention to something when i think not many people knew?

At a guess I would say it's because a person or a few people were in fact using it in a derogatory sense, and in order to stop them from doing so the mods have to stop everyone from doing so.


Kiwihawk wins the thread.

_________________
Championships are forever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:00 pm 
NET Practice Squad
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:46 am
Posts: 83
Location: Worcester, England
Wow, a tough topic. Being from England I find it fascinating how racial issues are dealt with in America. There was racism here - still is - but it always seemed to be...sort of different to on your side of the pond. (I don't mean that in any superior way - just that it has taken a different shape)

I know the media has a big part to say in this, and please- it deplores me how racism is still prevalent in English society, and society in general. I applaud any one who tries to dissuade/punish any racism. On this forum or in real life.

But...and I hate to use that word. I can understand why people are pushing this. Oooh its so hard, and my head can see both sides.

Ultimately though, Rock Hawk- as the owner of this site, has no choice but to ban this phrase. Although we know 99% of its use was in spelling and not prejudice, that 1% has to negate the others.

Let's say RockHawk bans someone because he know it was used in a racist manner. How can he prove it was racist when the said phrase is used by others as a method of pronunciation? Where do you draw the line? It opens legal issues that would murk moral waters even more.

There was 2 ways to deal with this- let it go and only deal with extreme cases that can be proved racist. Or ban the phrase altogether, drawing a line in the sand where any subsequent use would be judged on its own merit.

I think the latter option is a necessary medicine. It will allow this site to remain a forum for free opinions. Its stated its stance on the matter. I think almost everyone here (particularly those that run the site) have the intelligence to see when people are being prejudice, and will deal with them properly. If the phrase is innocently used again, I would hope they exercise caution and a word in the ear of the poster.

So I needn't think anyone should worry, and I know this is the case with announcements like this. It makes us all feel bad for ever using the phrase. Heck- i've used it. But never in any bigoted way.

No one's saying we have though. Only that a certain few have, and its caused the rest of us to have to change because they're idiots.

I don't necessarily like it. I sort of like the idea of allowing free speech when its clearly not meant in any malicious way. But when you're the owner of a respected site and there's some people ruining it for everyone else then I don't know really what choice you have.

The alternative is not awful for free speech, but it could be for this site - and that is something that must be taken into account.

_________________
*Avatar currently lacking panache*


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:04 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:54 am
Posts: 437
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I am another reader who never realised the name highlighted that way could very easily be seen and be used as an "under the radar" yet deliberately derogatory racial way of referring to a an African American. Now I see and agree and I am happy with the decision. Can do without the potential racial innuendo.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:16 pm 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18003
Location: Spokane, Wa.
A moment of your time about things like this.

I've been here since the start, when Aros and others most of you don't know were posting on a fanstop Seahawks site.

It was a constant dooney brook, swearing, fighting, racial, & sexual comments, personal threats. It was ok but got tiresome rather quickly.

After Todd started his own site which became Seahawks.net it wasn't much different. There were constant bickerings, arguments, trash talking etc. They added the smack shack and that helped a bit but still there was way to much personal bashing.

Low and behold several posters with kids that sat and talked with them when they were on this site began to complain and ask if we could hold stuff down and gradually over a couple of years we did. Some of the old guard had to be shown the door, or some like me toned it down. (most of you didn't know me in those days). While this only happened a very few times it made a dramatic difference. As the fighting bashing subsided our membership began to grow, and has continued to grow to this day.

So for those of you that are whining that "I want to" or "I didn't mean that", give it up. This is the world we live in and like or not we need to adjust because you're way in the miniority here. We're pretty pleasant about it, how many of you have received a PM from me either reminding you or letting you know that the F word is not allowed on any but Smack Shack or PWR Forums? Lots of you, have I ever been a jerk about it? Not unless you were. lol Trust me if there is a problem that catches Marks eye you would all rather hear from Matt, Steve, Judd, or me than hear from Mark.

The way for us to continue to grow is through a bit more political correctness than most sports fans can handle. But we aren't any sports fans, we are Seahawks & Seahawks.net fans, we are family. Do we all always agree no, do we all really care about each other? I'd like to think so.

As Sean Connery said in OUTLAND, "think about it".

:les:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:04 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:32 am
Posts: 698
Location: Battleground,WA
The Radish wrote:
A moment of your time about things like this.

I've been here since the start, when Aros and others most of you don't know were posting on a fanstop Seahawks site.

It was a constant dooney brook, swearing, fighting, racial, & sexual comments, personal threats. It was ok but got tiresome rather quickly.

After Todd started his own site which became Seahawks.net it wasn't much different. There were constant bickerings, arguments, trash talking etc. They added the smack shack and that helped a bit but still there was way to much personal bashing.

Low and behold several posters with kids that sat and talked with them when they were on this site began to complain and ask if we could hold stuff down and gradually over a couple of years we did. Some of the old guard had to be shown the door, or some like me toned it down. (most of you didn't know me in those days). While this only happened a very few times it made a dramatic difference. As the fighting bashing subsided our membership began to grow, and has continued to grow to this day.

So for those of you that are whining that "I want to" or "I didn't mean that", give it up. This is the world we live in and like or not we need to adjust because you're way in the miniority here. We're pretty pleasant about it, how many of you have received a PM from me either reminding you or letting you know that the F word is not allowed on any but Smack Shack or PWR Forums? Lots of you, have I ever been a jerk about it? Not unless you were. lol Trust me if there is a problem that catches Marks eye you would all rather hear from Matt, Steve, Judd, or me than hear from Mark.

The way for us to continue to grow is through a bit more political correctness than most sports fans can handle. But we aren't any sports fans, we are Seahawks & Seahawks.net fans, we are family. Do we all always agree no, do we all really care about each other? I'd like to think so.

As Sean Connery said in OUTLAND, "think about it".

:les:


Initially I balked at this thread as overly sensitive,but after reading this post I agree it is in the best interest of us all. Thanks Radish for setting me straight.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 pm 
* NET Shrink *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm
Posts: 1551
Location: Seattle, WA
and its come to this. . . . . . hard to believe.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:59 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm
Posts: 3179
AbsolutNET wrote:
Obviously not everyone was ill intentioned when typing his name like that. But there's no doubt in my mind some were, which is enough to put an end to it.


At the onset, I didn't see it as a racial slurr, but I agree totally with this banning, there are some that think that they are being clever, by disguizeing it with the intention to get away with being an arse., great call Rock


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:07 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 409
Image




Good for you RockHawk and Seahawks Net, it's ridiculous the things you can read about Jackson or other African American QB's from time to time online I'm glad you guys are taking a stand against that here.

:th2thumbs:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm
Posts: 1667
I really never saw it as racism. I saw it a good amount of times and it always seemed to be in threads where people spelled it TAvaris without the capital a.

Pretty funny that the world is so damn PC.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:16 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22648
Location: Kirkland, WA
RockHawk wrote:
Frankly I’m shocked by those of you pushing back on this.


When half the people on the board had to read your explanation as to why it could be potentially construed as racist to figure it out, I think it's a sign that it might have been taken a bit too far in terms of banning it, particularly when it's known by all that the reason those three letters were capitalized was specifically because so many "geniuses" can't spell his first name correctly, and grammar Nazis like myself find it to be irksome.

Just sayin'.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 pm 
* NET Lead Admin *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 8506
there was nothing 'potential' about it roland. mark had good cause to be angry.

_________________
Championships are forever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:22 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am
Posts: 11206
Anyone who is truly debilitated and emotionally crippled by not being allowed to spell "Tarvaris" in that fashion, needs to take Picking Your Battles 101 and get a head examination. Big honkin' deal.

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:23 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22648
Location: Kirkland, WA
MontanaHawk05 wrote:
Big honkin' deal.


Did you just call me a honkey?!

;)



@Sad, IDK what sparked this that was deleted or w/e, so I can't speak to it. All I know is it seems over the top from my PoV, lol. Not trying to start a war.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:34 am 
* NET Sports Handicapper *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 am
Posts: 1407
RockHawk wrote:
Frankly I’m shocked by those of you pushing back on this. I’ve stated many times before that I have a zero tolerance rule for anything that can even remotely be taken as racist, and this one is well over that line. Why in the hell would you be pushing back and defending something like this when you clearly have people verifying that it’s insensitive and can be taken as a racist tone?

I honestly just don’t understand. You can claim that you’re just trying to push back against unjust censorship all you want, but you are fighting to allow a potentially racist comment!!! And for what? Because you want to be able to say it to show how people are mispronouncing it?!? Are you kidding me?

Be argumentative all you want, but be smart enough to realize that by arguing on this one, you come across as defending bigotry and racial insensitivity, and I would generally distance myself from those things if it were me.

Oh well.


I completely agree with your post, Mark. The force-feeding from some members who are trying to justify the accentuation of Tarvaris' first syllable is appalling - I cannot find any reason to support those who think it's ok. It's plainly viewed by some as a hostile approach towards Tarvaris Jackson; banning is the right thing to do. Those that are "just explaining" why they did it is unnecessary at this point. The ban is in place - I think people need to move on. How about locking the thread since it is no longer productive?

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning to users: Please read
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 am 
* NET Landlord *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
Posts: 3938
Location: Owner's Box
Agreed. The conversation has run its course, and we'll simply enforce the rule as is now.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » NET NATION COMMUNITY CENTER » [ THE NET NATION FAQ FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.