Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shanahan comments on Carrol.
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 am 
NET Veteran

Just finished reading an interview with 'The Rat,' where be was tossing thinly-veilled barbs at Pete. Such comments as 'You have to be yourself,' and 'Pete is Pete.' One adjective he used in particular was 'highly excitable.' He only gave Pete 'credit' for is results at USC. Even then, he was ambiguous enough to leave the meaning open for interpretation (NCAA violations or W/L). When asked how he himself would like to be remembered, he used something like 'calm, humble and consistent.'
Dang, I didn't like the dude much before, but at least I supported him when he chucked that football at Al Davis. Now I'm begging to think it would have been better if Al sent few henchmen to put that ball in a place requiring it to be surgically removed. What a self-centered p#ick.

Post subject: Re: Shanahan comments on Carrol.
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 am 
NET Starter

HawKnPeppa wrote:
Just finished reading an interview with 'The Rat,' where be was tossing thinly-veilled barbs at Pete. Such comments as 'You have to be yourself,' and 'Pete is Pete.' One adjective he used in particular was 'highly excitable.' He only gave Pete 'credit' for is results at USC. Even then, he was ambiguous enough to leave the meaning open for interpretation (NCAA violations or W/L). When asked how he himself would like to be remembered, he used something like 'calm, humble and consistent.'
Dang, I didn't like the dude much before, but at least I supported him when he chucked that football at Al Davis. Now I'm begging to think it would have been better if Al sent few henchmen to put that ball in a place requiring it to be surgically removed. What a self-centered p#ick.

I think you're stretching a bit here...just as I probably was with Sherman. He also mentioned that he wanted Carroll as his defensive coordinator with the Broncos, but Carroll chose to go to San Francisco. I think he has alot of respect for him just based on that - but you have to admit their personalities are very different.

I don't think they are best friends, but it doesn't mean Shanahan doesn't not have respect for what he's accomplished.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 am 
NET Veteran

II heard Shanahan's conference call with the Seattle media and it was very complimentary. Doesn't mean that they like each other, but he was respectful.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 am 
NET Veteran

Wow. I guess I'll care about Shanahan's opinion when he wins something without Elway.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:06 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

He might be a little irked. The other day Pete talked about choosing between the Niners and Shanahan, and while he didn't throw any insults Rat faces way, he did talk about how Bill Walsh was consulting in SF, and getting to pick his brain made the San Fran job the better choice by far.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 am 
* NET Radish *

Proven fact that Ratboys game plans don't work unless he has a top drawer QB. Look at Denver, when Mr Ed retired so did Shanahan's play off wins.

Not to much to write to Mom about until this year when he gets what appears to be another great QB who will do what he needs to do in spite of Rat Boy's instructions.

I don't see him as much of a coach but that's just me being in the same division with him when we were in the AFC.

:les:

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:10 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

Pete and Shanahan have known each other for years and have great respect for one another.

ETA: "I think you've got to be yourself and that's what Pete has done. He's been himself," Shanahan said. "Everyone knows the type of job he did at Southern Cal. He's a guy that is very enthusiastic in everything he does and a good friend." http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots ... t_playoffs

Last edited by sc85sis on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:25 am 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

The Radish wrote:
Proven fact that Ratboys game plans don't work unless he has a top drawer QB. Look at Denver, when Mr Ed retired so did Shanahan's play off wins.

Not to much to write to Mom about until this year when he gets what appears to be another great QB who will do what he needs to do in spite of Rat Boy's instructions.

I don't see him as much of a coach but that's just me being in the same division with him when we were in the AFC.

actually, Shanahan did well with Jake-freaking-Plummer. I believe they even made it to an AFC champ game (maybe?)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:34 am 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

Shanny is a good coach. Amazing how some fans just hate to give any credit to other teams for having competent players or coaches. Embarrassing.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:43 am 
NET Veteran

Shanny has been winning for a long time in the NFL. Pete doesnt get instant NFL credibility.

I like like what Pete said the other day, "We are not satisfied; we have to play every game like a championship game."

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:46 am 
* NET Alumni *

HansGruber wrote:
Wow. I guess I'll care about Shanahan's opinion when he wins something without Elway.

He couldn't even win with Elway. The big difference was Terrell Davis. They finally had a dominant runner, and Elway was able to win big games when he had somebody that could eat clock. Elway was just Dan Marino with a great runner behind him at the end.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:52 am 
NET Starter

The Radish wrote:

I believe in his son's offense though. With Rex Grossman and John Beck (who was god awful) and really no WRs last year that could stretch the field...the offense moved the ball fairly regularly. Scoring was an issue because we didn't really have any playmakers.

I'm very concerned about another team poaching Kyle for HC. Why? Because I think his dad just might take over game play-calling himself...and I'd think we'd lose the edge we currently have with sharp in-game adjustments to what defenses are taking away and giving us.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:00 am 
NET Starter

Nobody's really dogging the Seahawks in the bulk of the sports media anymore, so disrespectful items must be manufactured by interpreting innocuous statements as innuendo.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:58 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

Shanahan reminds me of my maternal grandfather (God rest his soul).

"Papa" was quiet as a mouse all the time, and one of those guys that only spoke when there was something worth saying. The "speak softly and carry a big stick" type, I guess you could say. I remember the family arguing about something during dinner one time, interupting each other and getting louder. With a firm thud of his fist on the table and a stern look, everyone instantly shut up as he told them how it was. When he was finished, no one had anything to say. A stern guy that commanded respect, and was full to the brim with wisdom. Mostly because he kept hisw mouth shut, and listened.

Shanny seems to me to be so even-keeled all the time that it's difficult to gauge what he's thinking. Then, all of a sudden, he erupts. A ticking time bomb, if you will. Those kind of people you can't help respecting. I think that is one reason why he is a good coach.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 am 
NET Veteran

Do you have a link? This feels like something made out of nothing; the quote below is the only relevant information I have found.

Mike Shanahan wrote:
"You've got to be yourself and that's what Pete has done. He's been himself," Shanahan said. "Everyone knows the type of job he did at Southern Cal. He's a guy that is very enthusiastic in everything he does and a good friend."

If that is a thinly veiled barb then I am an Eskimo.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 am 
NET Practice Squad

This definitely ranks as one of the larger reaches to create controversy I've ever seen.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:14 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

Man we need to stop with the everyone is putting down the Hawks idea, I mean I have never seen so much love thrown our teams way before the last several weeks. Hell, all the positive vibes are making me even more nervous for Sunday. The Hawks hopefully are ready for a very tough test against the Redskins, it will not be as east as some of us here and those talking heads are making it out to be for some reason.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
NET Veteran

I would prefer to read the interview for myself, sometimes people like to read what they want into things. Shanny is a very good coach.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:29 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

This thread makes no sense

Stop taking things out of context and actually read the damn article

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:59 pm 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *

RiggoReincarnated wrote:
I think you're stretching a bit here...

This

Tech Worlds wrote:
Shanny is a good coach. Amazing how some fans just hate to give any credit to other teams for having competent players or coaches. Embarrassing.

and this.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:07 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Don't need bulletin board material but whatever floats your boat. The game is almost here, thank goodness.

Some embarrassing things posted by both sides this week.

That's what is wrong with sports today. It has media folks (and fans) running back between teams/players going "Did you hear what he said about you? What do you think of that?". The game should be played on the field but many want to win it in the papers and in fan forums.

More drama in this stuff than the old day time soaps. I hope the loudest ones own up if whomever they were bragging on bites the dust. If you put your name to it, own it and no excuses when your pronouncements fall short.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 pm 
NET Rookie

SharkHawk wrote:
HansGruber wrote:

He couldn't even win with Elway. The big difference was Terrell Davis. They finally had a dominant runner, and Elway was able to win big games when he had somebody that could eat clock. Elway was just Dan Marino with a great runner behind him at the end.

Dont know if I agree with this. I dont think TD would have been nearly as succesful in another run blocking scheme. This scheme has produced something like:

1 2000 yard rusher
6 1500 + yard rusher
countless 1000 + yard rushers

TD was GREAT and I dont want to take anythingaway from him, but you could EASILY make the case that Shanahans run blocking scheme was a huge reason for his sucess as a runner in this league simply because after he left, Shanahan kept cranking out 1500 runners.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

I don't think we really need to create anymore to argue about around here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]