17 little things I noticed from tape

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, keep running and it almost hits him in the back of the head. He's a 3 year vet, ZERO excuse and it almost ultimately cost them the game. He was out of position on many plays.

rjdriver

Reaction score
It’s Marquise Blair time. It can’t come soon enough.

Ifedi still looked like a turnstile, which was very disappointing.

We always underwhelm on opening day. Last time we won was a similar 12-10 abortion against the Dolphins in 2016, but a win is a win.

We are going to get better, but we have some very quality opponents coming up.

pehawk

Reaction score
Thanks Montana. Love it.

Dont listen to the nitpickers. They're phonies.

kobebryant

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":395oj6qy said:
I try not to get worked up by Week 1. It's the hardest week to judge, because everyone's rusty and new schemes are still being deployed. This is the week in which the Patriots have become known for losing to the Bills, for heaven's sack.

That is simply not true. The Patriots haven't lost to the Bills in week 1 since 2003.

Seymour

Reaction score
kobebryant":2g8525d4 said:
MontanaHawk05":2g8525d4 said:
I try not to get worked up by Week 1. It's the hardest week to judge, because everyone's rusty and new schemes are still being deployed. This is the week in which the Patriots have become known for losing to the Bills, for heaven's sack.

That is simply not true. The Patriots haven't lost to the Bills in week 1 since 2003.

Not only that, did he not watch the Patriots opener? When was the last time Seattle ever came out that sharp on week 1? That is a terrible team to attempt to compare. :roll:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There have been plenty of crap sammiches in week 1 of the NFL, and it's all around the league.
I seriously doubt anyone expected the Steelers or Browns to get beat by 30 points.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2uic446o said:
There have been plenty of crap sammiches in week 1 of the NFL, and it's all around the league.
I seriously doubt anyone expected the Steelers or Browns to get beat by 30 points.

No doubt about it. But when it consistently happens to the same team year after year, you need to look for the common denominator to understand why IMO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I love Russell Wilson. Waited 36 years for a true franchise QB and we finally got him. However, Montana is absolutely right about throwing to the vacated area on a corner blitz. The QB has to throw to the vacated area on that play because it is highly likely there will be no blocker to account for the blitzer. We all know Russ at times holds the ball too long. Some of that is quite likely Pete grinding him endlessly on not turning the ball over. Regardless, he must make that read and get rid of the ball to DK.

Thanks for the effort Montana. Good stuff

bbsplitter

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ujeb3fv said:
First of all, there were four sacks.

Second, none of them were under 2 seconds. First two were over three seconds, second two were between 2.5 and 3 - borderline blame-sharing between Wilson and OL. I flat-out called the fourth sack as the OL's fault, Ifedi getting annihilated.

Third, the third sack was a corner blitz that left Metcalf wide open. Corner blitzes are naturally going to happen very quickly, and the trigger needs to get pulled.

^This^

John63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1k2qb2it said:
I love Russell Wilson. Waited 36 years for a true franchise QB and we finally got him. However, Montana is absolutely right about throwing to the vacated area on a corner blitz. The QB has to throw to the vacated area on that play because it is highly likely there will be no blocker to account for the blitzer. We all know Russ at times holds the ball too long. Some of that is quite likely Pete grinding him endlessly on not turning the ball over. Regardless, he must make that read and get rid of the ball to DK.

Except if you look at the play Wilson faked the hand off to his right, then had to turn all the way around, by then the blitzer who should have been picked up by the Te was about 7-10 feet way and if he throws it, it has to be high enough to get over a 6+ player who was in the direct path of the player he would have been throwing to, which means floating, and if you look behind the player he would have been throwing to there was a defender about 5-7 feet behind him. So if he floated it, it either gets tipped, or int, or his WR gets destroyed. It would have been a gamble and not one worth taking. Now if there was no fake hand off to the right I would agree as Wilson would have seen the blitzer and the fact the TE missed the block and could have done more. But that fake pretty much screwed it all up. I have relooked at it at least 10 times with others, and we all agreed, it was a risk not worth taking. For those who think otherwise you would have been complaining if he did it and the pass was INT for a 6. Given we are talking about the winningest QB over the last 7 years and none of us are in his shoes or sees what he sees or knows what he knows I would think I would go with him doing what he thought was right. However, some here seem to feel they must lay the blame at his feet for everything. Including getting sacked in under 2.5 seconds as the announcers said. Even on this play they said he had no place to go. But hey what do they know they are only experts.

quadsas

Reaction score
In terms of corner blitzes, I think Wilson is just never gonna throw there because Pete has drilled 'ball security' into his head so badly that it's going to be incredibly hard to break the habit

D

DomeHawk

I would have liked a one-for-one trade with their OC and ours.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I've defended Tedric a bunch. No more. That was one of the worst plays I've ever seen in my damn life. Sickening.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Corner Blitz is a auto communication thing, two things have to happen, The Receiver needs to alert Wilson that it's hot right away, Wilson has to see, throw and make sure there isn't a Safety there all at the same time or simply throw it away and high.

Being this is the first game and Metcalf a Rookie that communication may not be established and or Metcalf didn't recognize it till too late to give Wilson a hot call.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nanomoz":2mj54unm said:
I've defended Tedric a bunch. No more. That was one of the worst plays I've ever seen in my damn life. Sickening.

The sad thing is, a lot of the All-22 gurus are now coming out and saying that Tedric played really well other than the one play. Like these guys (latter is behind a paywall)...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1171569463499657216[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1171592017261907973[/tweet]

But I agree that he's got to be on the hot seat. Technically sound or not, this is not his first instance of giving up seven points on one play solo, and it can't be allowed.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Good write-up as always, Montana. While I didn't document all the little details when I watched it, two things stood out and really stuck in my mind throughout. Offensive line and defensive secondary. Both were terrible liabilities.

Offensive line was worse than just the pure sack numbers told. Wilson didn't look comfortable in the pocket all game. He was constantly scrambling almost instantly after the ball was snapped. Clearly they need to step up and perform better, because their play made me nervous all game, and it certainly would have to Wilson as well.

The defensive secondary obviously looks worse without Chancellor and Thomas back there. Any secondary would in comparison, so we're comparing what we have now with one of the best in history. Same with offensive line, for that matter, albeit a few years more of a gap. But they didn't look good out there. Gave up too many completions. Too many easy completions. They played off the ball too much and had to scramble, and it led to a couple of the scores when it shouldn't have.

One other thing that was weird, and that the announcers were talking about all game was us using linebackers to cover the receivers more than what we'd normally see on pretty much any team. It felt awkward, and probably accounted for a lot of the issues I attributed to the secondary. We have one of the best linebacker corps in the league, but I don't know how they think they can cover receivers like cornerbacks and safeties that way and win consistently.

Bottom line was, it was a very competitive nail-biter of a game. And most of us probably think it should have been a much easier win. And maybe we're right, even if game ones are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates—ya never know what'cher gonna get.