49ers stink ass 3rd straight game

warden

Reaction score
There is enough film out on Purdy. Teams now know his tendencies. How he adjust to this is the question that needs to be asked

bileever

Reaction score
The most objective take here that many Niner fans and analysts are starting to come to a consensus on, is that our coordinator Steve Wilks just ain't it.

It appears the first few games, whether it was the newness of scheme/lack of great QBs/etc....got covered up by a fully healthy offense scoring lots of points and dictating terms.

There will always be overreactions, but I'm not worried about Purdy or the offense one bit. It's still Shanahan's offense, and he's shown he can produce late season year after year.

But this defense, wow. I know Seahawk fans have complained about defense in recent years, but this recent Niner defense is certainly worse than anything I've seen in a long ass time.

The only good news for the Niners is that this is in theory, fixable. I'd wager the defensive roster is better than last year, but at the very worst it's about the same (maybe slightly worse at corner, but definitely better on DL). For massive defensive fall off you'd normally blame it on injuries, but I've seen far less talented Niner defenses do better.

The real scare is that a scheme fix might not be fixable in season. Three weeks in a row of garbage, ok maybe something can happen during the bye.

Goes to show you that coordinator continuity is hard AF, and Niner fans figured Saleh to Ryans worked out fine, so maybe anyone can operate this defense, but apparently not.

And I'd say without top top corners, you need scheme/pass rush to at least look functional.

TJ Watt or Myles Garrett could be flown in on loan and absolutely nothing would change, and that's frightening.

I've gone around telling casuals that football is absolutely the #1 sport where coaching has an impact. Coaches put in a lot of hard work during the week, so imagine if they did absolutely nothing? Would be 70-20 each week around the league.
Interesting take on the 49er defense's problems. I agree that it's hard to replace someone like DeMeco Ryans, who was a great DC, but I don't know if it makes sense to put so much blame on Wilks.

For one thing, when hiring Wilks to be the DC, Shanahan insisted that the defensive scheme not be changed and that Wilks keep all the defensive assistants in place instead of bringing in his own guys. So the continuity is there, and it's not a change in scheme.

I think that two things have hurt the 49er defense. One, they miss two edge rushers that Lynch let walk in free agency, Ebukam and Omenihu. The thinking was that anyone playing with Bosa looks better than they really are. Well, Ebukam has been pretty good in Indy, so it wasn't just a matter of playing with Bosa. Now you're going to trade for Randy Gregory to replace them? Good luck with that.

Second, it was just a matter of time that the 49er secondary got exposed. Except for Charvarius Ward, it's a pretty mediocre group back there. I mean Cousins had 378 yards passing against the 49ers. Now that you're not getting much pressure, I think this is going to happen more.