49ers vs. Fins

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2113nbon said:
SantaClaraHawk":2113nbon said:
9ers just got burned with a 41 yard gain from Breida, the guy they rejected last year now playing for fish

Fish just scored another td making it 36-14 before the kick...

The dline of niners seems kind of nonexistent here.

Just remember though, Robert Salah is a genius DC & Ken Norton should be fired immediately if not sooner.

Just because they suck doesn't mean Norton's any kind of hero. Quinn's going to be available, make him special defensive consultant or whatever.

rlkats

Reaction score
IndyHawk":zd96o5cx said:
When the Santa Clara team gets those injured guys back
I think they will make the playoffs ..
The format was changed for Jeruh right?
It might help the Niners instead.

As a Niners fan I should share your confidence, but sadly I don’t. We have major issues.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":k48hxs0i said:
WmHBonney":k48hxs0i said:
Jimmy G benched with a 15.7 passer rating.
:irishdrinkers:

Hey, Marv, can we now put the myth to bed that Jimmy G is an effective starting QB?` :p

Totay was one of the most pathetic displays I’ve seen in a decade or so.

Honestly, I don’t think he was ready to play. Mullens played so poorly last week that I think they though they had to get him in. Jimmy has no escapability and was under constant pressure. The 2 INTs were horrible, but he clearly wasn’t right. He makes some bad throws, but that last one might have been the worst in I’ve ever seen.

My bigger concerns tho are the O-Line and Trent Williams in particular. He looked great for a few weeks and now he’s been BAD for two weeks. If this is what he is now, Niners are done...or rather more done than they already were.

I mean they got better pass protection LAST year when they had lost both their starting tackles.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":18n28u59 said:
SantaClaraHawk":18n28u59 said:
9ers just got burned with a 41 yard gain from Breida, the guy they rejected last year now playing for fish

Fish just scored another td making it 36-14 before the kick...

The dline of niners seems kind of nonexistent here.

Just remember though, Robert Salah is a genius DC & Ken Norton should be fired immediately if not sooner.

Oh relax dude. Please.

49ers missing their top 3 pass rushers (Bosa, Ford, and Ansah) AND ALL of their starting corners (Sherman, Moseley, and Slot CB Williams). Also missing backup Johnson (who started season on PS).

If you watched the game, Fitz went after CB Allen over, and over, and over, and over. He couldn’t cover ANYONE. They finally had to put in Witherspoon who wasn’t supposed to play unless there was an emergency.

To be clear, they SUCKED today and there are no excuses, but you might wanna relax in the Saleh v Norton conversation.

I mean, no joke, the 49ers didn’t have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 6th best corners. Their 4th best came in but was playing hurt. Combine that with no pass rush and there isn’t much you can do.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'll give you that on the cb dude but that ol play had staley yelling from his twitter about what the hell was going on

nanomoz

Reaction score
The injuries are no joke. It sucks to see. It reminds me of the Seahawks in the 2007 (?) playoffs. The Pete Hunter Street free agent starting year.

But the offense could have scored some points and kept the ball away from Miami. The Dolphins are a streaky team, Fitz always is. But to get plastered like that by the Phins has to be a bit concerning.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1zr4yser said:
I'll give you that on the cb dude but that ol play had staley yelling from his twitter about what the hell was going on

No question on the O-Line play. No lineman is playing well. Frustratingly, Trent Williams has now said after each of the past two games that he didn’t play poorly when he pretty clearly did.

Marvin49

Reaction score
nanomoz":1jjk0dda said:
The injuries are no joke. It sucks to see. It reminds me of the Seahawks in the 2007 (?) playoffs. The Pete Hunter Street free agent starting year.

But the offense could have scored some points and kept the ball away from Miami. The Dolphins are a streaky team, Fitz always is. But to get plastered like that by the Phins has to be a bit concerning.

Don’t get it twisted. The D was critically undermanned but the offense wasn’t much better.

I have to kinda walk a fine line here...I don’t want to excuse Jimmys performance. He was though, CLEARLY hampered. He couldn’t move. He was putting almost zero weight on his back leg. He has zero zip in his passes. Here’s the thing tho: if he wasn’t healthy enough to play, he shouldn’t have. That’s on him and Shanahan. There is really no excuse.

He also got very little help from his O-Line. Raheem Mostert was just about the only guy on offense who I thought played well.

NINEster

Reaction score
This season will be all about answering the hard questions about this team:

Jimmy G
Kyle's offensive philosophy

Defensively the team will get a mulligan from me and many other fans because of the injuries. Bosa should hopefully be a stud again and the Niners can likely find a Ford replacement somewhere. Kinda sad because the DL this year minus Bosa and Ford looked to be slightly better than last year at getting pressure. I have good hopes the 2021 defense if executed right can be 2019 level or better.

Garoppolo I think was on a trajectory to being a very good QB, but unfortunately that ACL injury and perhaps Kyle's system were not the ideal mix for him. I think had he never gotten injured maybe he would be a lot better off than he is now.

Kyle is amazing at Xs and Os schematics, but some of us feel there's a stubbornness to him that can be an achilles heel. If RG3 was as good as Wilson, the Redskins would have been a potential dynasty in the early decade. Kyle can do all sorts of things, but it bothered him to have to tailor make an offense for RG3. It's a similar issue I think with what Hawk fans felt with Bevell and Wilson, even to an extent Carroll and Schottenheimer up until last year (or even this year). Too much micro managing of the QB position.

Hopefully will just chalk this up to the SB hangover curse. The Rams looked kinda shitty last year and now look like their old selves.

I will back Niner QBs fiercely on rival forums, but then if they let me down enough I'll give up hope and start to wonder for the future. Jimmy might have had reasons to look terrible yesterday, but somehow Wilson in his worst stretch of 2016 with probably a worse injury, looked a lot better.

Never injured, never rattled, nothing ever goes wrong for Wilson. Luck or no luck, it's comical........I've stopped trying to rationalize it. He's just really good and made it happen regardless of circumstance.

Niner fans are paying for the back to back Ferraris of Montana and Young, and Lamborghinis in Rice and TO.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This is a really good post Ninester.

One thing that's not getting attention is that atrocious oline play. You see McGlinchey being constantly abused, you see Williams running the wrong way, and they're both injury-free.

That was enough for Staley to tweet out "What the hell is this" yesterday and maybe part of it is that they don't have a Staley presence there, a natural leader, but with such noncoordinated o-line help it matters less who the quarterback is.

NINEster

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1ovkyv7o said:

One thing that's not getting attention is that atrocious oline play. You see McGlinchey being constantly abused, you see Williams running the wrong way, and they're both injury-free.

That was enough for Staley to tweet out "What the hell is this" yesterday and maybe part of it is that they don't have a Staley presence there, a natural leader, but with such noncoordinated o-line help it matters less who the quarterback is.

Thanks. It's starting to feel cathartic to no longer have to prop people up.

Yeah, it's amazing when things break down, they can catastrophically break down.

Many of us wanted Staley to stay, but of course had to respect his wishes to retire. Then we were told that Trent Williams was a big improvement over Staley. Ok, maybe in the run game, but not sure about the pass game. Maybe there's rust he has to deal with. Fine.

Overall, there could always be excuses. Maybe this one can be filed under:

"Ineffective offense without full preseason and training camp. Only effective in non COVID seasons"

:roll:

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3bahrm7c said:

Not sure where you are getting the "One thing that's not getting attention" line about the O-Line. Its getting ALOT of attention. I mentioned it as my primary concern outside of injuries above.

McGlinchey has regressed. They still don't have Richburg. Brunskill was hoped to be an improvement over Person. He's not. Tomlinson hasn't been very good and most alarmingly, neither has Trent Williams of late. It doesn't look like he's "lost it" in terms of his physical attributes, but he is NOT playing well. Rust? Dunno.

He still moves like a cat and from time to time is just devastating, but he has ALOT of mental lapses and time that he flat whiffs on the defender. Its weird.

EDIT:

So like Williams does THIS...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hutchdiesel/status/1313219067151482880[/tweet]

and then he does THIS...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ThomasFrankCarr/status/1313633749284814848[/tweet]

He does THIS...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/pasquiniandrew/status/1313700441121722369[/tweet]

...and THIS...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlexRollinsNFL/status/1315700554253754369[/tweet]

THIS...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hutchdiesel/status/1315760863614132224[/tweet]

and THIS...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dieter/status/1315394794068164609[/tweet]

I mean its maddening. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that he might be rusty....but he's been on the field for a month now.