49ers vs Seahawks schedules compared

Throwdown

Reaction score
We take care of our business between now and beat them in SF in December, we got nothing to worry about.

I'm not worried about schedule comparisons, this team can win on the road and will win more on the road.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
DericLee":m4uuccxc said:
Tougher schedule breeds a tougher team.

It will only make us better, if we can't pull out the wins then we didn't deserve them in the first place.

I WANT HARD GAMES.

I want a championship team to be born and tempered by them.

THIS. I went to Gonzaga, our conference is weak, and breeds a weak team in the tournament year after year. If we can get through our schedule as the #1 or #2 seed in the NFC. I think we'll go far in the playoffs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3uomji37 said:
NINEster":3uomji37 said:
You can cherry pick things to make it seem conspiratorial and what not, but the bottom line is that these games against conference and out of conference teams are by rotation. And with the two teams here in particular, you cannot have both teams playing common opponents in the same venue.

So next year, each NFC east team will play sea and sf but only one west coast trip, except for AZ.

Last time SF played tenn and Jax was at home. And I'm pretty positive Seattle traveled for those games.

Last time sf played texans was in Houston and colts in Indy.

To complain about this is crazy.

As for 10 am starts, there might be some favoritism with putting certain teams in prime time. In 2011, sf played quite a few 10 am games. And won all of them.

Also, the sf/Oakland scheduling conflict forces those games to never be on at once unless they are obviously playing each other. Look it up on wiki, each team will always get at least one Monday night appearance each season regardless of how good or bad they are to deal with the complexity of nfl scheduling.

What fails to be mentioned here is SF will travel the most this year, and if they don't stay in Ohio or east coast after titans game, that's one hell of a trip to London

Finally I think saints in new Orleans is tougher than falcons at Atlanta judging by the first few games.

Actually, the last time we played the AFC South, the Seahawks road/travel split was exactly the same. Jax and Tenn in Seattle, Hou and Indy on the road. It's a particularly annoying quirk of the scheduling.

But you're right that the complaints are kind of ridiculous. I don't hear a single Seahawk fan complaining about the fact that we have to face the Saints - who honestly look like our toughest remaining test - in Seattle while SF has to deal with them on the road. I also don't hear any Hawks fans complaining about the fact that we got to deal with the entire AFC South - where the games have absolutely no tiebreaker implications - early in the season while we had (and still have) some key players lost to injury or suspension.

Honestly, their schedule was harder last year. Sure, it's supposed to be tougher since they were the division champ last year, but you also can't definitively say what game is or isn't harder. Most of us thought that Indy wasn't going to be that great this year.

THe Saints weren't supposed to be better than the Falcons this year, according to most pundits. An Indy team that was supposed to regress this year beat both teams.

If we take care of our business, and play to expectations, it won't matter. Anything else is an excuse.

kidhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1epfzuew said:
kidhawk":1epfzuew said:
volsunghawk":1epfzuew said:
Actually, the last time we played the AFC South, the Seahawks road/travel split was exactly the same. Jax and Tenn in Seattle, Hou and Indy on the road. It's a particularly annoying quirk of the scheduling.

But you're right that the complaints are kind of ridiculous. I don't hear a single Seahawk fan complaining about the fact that we have to face the Saints - who honestly look like our toughest remaining test - in Seattle while SF has to deal with them on the road. I also don't hear any Hawks fans complaining about the fact that we got to deal with the entire AFC South - where the games have absolutely no tiebreaker implications - early in the season while we had (and still have) some key players lost to injury or suspension.

It's not really a "quirk" in the schedule, as much as it was an adjustment in the schedule to insure that in future rotations, east coast teams wouldn't have to travel to both of the furthest west teams (In the NFC that's Seattle and San Francisco) in the same year. They started that 2 years ago(I believe) so we should be all back to a normal 3/6 year cycle of where we play opponents. One thing is for sure though, count on us and the Niners always having opposite home/away schedules from this point forward. Sometimes it will favor us and sometimes it will favor them. That part just comes down to who is good in any particular year.

It's a quirk in that when the NFL made the adjustment, it would have been reasonable to ensure that the home/away matchups weren't replicating for teams. And for some teams, the home/away splits actually don't repeat themselves. But for the Seahawks, our home/away splits against AFC opponents have been repeating each season since that adjustment. I don't believe for a second that the schedulers couldn't have said, "Okay, now that we've made this adjustment, let's apply it going forward while still trying to make sure that teams aren't seeing the exact same home/away opponents for the same divisions as they were before the adjustment."

I see how you are using quirk now.

As for the schedule makers, they could have done it differently, and they could have shared it out a little more with how they broke down the newly adjusted opponents, but after this season, it shouldn't matter any longer, because we've now gone through all three AFC divisions that aren't west coast, so from this point on, when we play them, it should rotate. Of course we still will never have the same opponents home/away as the niners due to this scheduling fix, but the difficulty of games will swap back and forth from year to year and in the long run balance out, so like you said originally, it's not really anything worth worrying about.

Personally, I think the scheduling system is fairly equitable as far as our rivalry with the Niners goes. I'll leave out the East/West bias part, because at least that doesn't really affect divisional play and therefor shouldn't really be a big issue.

salukihawk12

Reaction score
All caveats aside and on a purely hypothetical basis, what happens if the Niners don't lose another game and our only loss is to them on the road?
Besides an identical record,wWe would've both lost to each other with identical conference and division records. We would've also lost to the same AFC opponent.

From NFL.com here is what I see as the tiebreaker:
Two Clubs

1)Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2)Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3)Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4)Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5)Strength of victory.
6)Strength of schedule.
7)Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8)Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9)Best net points in common games.
10)Best net points in all games.
11)Best net touchdowns in all games.
12)Coin toss

I'd imagine the tiebreaker would fall to #5 or #6? Strength of victory or strength of schedule?? I can't imagine an NFL tiebreaker has ever fallen that far and not even sure who would win out in the situation. Anyone have an idea? Is it based on the record of the teams we actually play or their record from last year??

volsunghawk

Reaction score
salukihawk12":2iz6anrv said:
All caveats aside and on a purely hypothetical basis, what happens if the Niners don't lose another game and our only loss is to them on the road?
Besides an identical record,wWe would've both lost to each other with identical conference and division records. We would've also lost to the same AFC opponent.

From NFL.com here is what I see as the tiebreaker:
Two Clubs

1)Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2)Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3)Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4)Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5)Strength of victory.
6)Strength of schedule.
7)Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8)Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9)Best net points in common games.
10)Best net points in all games.
11)Best net touchdowns in all games.
12)Coin toss

I'd imagine the tiebreaker would fall to #5 or #6? Strength of victory or strength of schedule?? I can't imagine an NFL tiebreaker has ever fallen that far and not even sure who would win out in the situation. Anyone have an idea? Is it based on the record of the teams we actually play or their record from last year??

Based on the record of the teams we play this season, not last year.

salukihawk12

Reaction score
So pretty safe to say with our uncommon opponents being US: Giants and Vikings, them: Redskins and Packers we would LOSE the tiebreaker of strength of victory?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
salukihawk12":3i4ndme0 said:
So pretty safe to say with our uncommon opponents being US: Giants and Vikings, them: Redskins and Packers we would LOSE the tiebreaker of strength of victory?

Yeah, in your scenario, and assuming that the Giants and Vikings don't have miraculous turnarounds that give them better cumulative records than Washington and Green Bay. That would likely result in us being a #5 seed with a 14-2 record.

Kryten

Reaction score
Sad if the tiebreaker with SF comes down to points scored-- when during the games we win big, we always kill the clock even if we're 5 yards from a touchdown. Carroll is too nice/smart/sporting to take an extra easy score at the end of a blowout. That may someday come back to bite us, although scoring may have even worse consequences. They should eliminate points scored tiebreaker.

NINEster

Reaction score
The healthier of our two teams will be the better one come playoff time.

I'd rather have the best SF team in Seattle vs. what we have now in Candlestick.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No road game is a gimme. Everyone in our division played us tough last year.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I couldn't care less about the Niners schedule. All I know is that the Hawks can win any game anywhere and most of the time will. They are in control of their destiny in week 6 and it appears that the games I considered to most difficult aren't going to be as difficult as once thought.

Harvin, Unger, Giaco, Miller all coming back soon. Okung a little later. Things are going to get really fun starting this week.