#6 Sam Howell

Seahawker

Reaction score
Howell wore #14 for the Commanders and in high school (DK#14), he wore #7 at UNC (Geno #7).

The first ten games of 2023 Howell completed 66.5% of his attempts for 2,783 yards, 17 TD's and 9 INT's through 10 games. After week 10 Howell was the NFL's leading passer 15 yards ahead of Houstons CJ Stroud.
Also at the 10 week mark, Howell:
Touchdowns tied 3rd (17)
Completions 1st (264)
Passing yards 1st (2783)

Only 4 QB's in NFL history have more passing yards through 11 games than Howell.
Patrick Mahomes
Justin Herbert
Joe Burrow
Cam Newton
Sam Howell

Howell is Also one of only 8 QB's with four 300 yard passing games in their first 11 games.

2023 Howell vs Geno
Pass attempts
Howell 612
Geno 499
Passing
Howell 3946 yards
Geno 3624 yards

Head to head Nov. 12, 2023
Seahawks win 29-26 on a walk off 43 yard FG by Jason Myers.

Howell 29-44, 312 yards, 3 TD.
Geno 31-47, 369 yards, 2 TD.

Entering week 12 only one QB had thrown for 3,000 yards, Sam Howell.
Howell was sacked 65 times in 2023, that was #1 ahead of Bryce Young (62).
Geno was sacked 31 times in 23' and 46 times in 2022.

Howell is younger than Bo Nix and has a full year of NFL starting experience under his belt.
In 2022 the bleacherreport had Howell ranked as the 5th best QB and a #90 overall draft ranking. They compared him to Jalen Hurts.

Howell piled up 7,224 yards, 68 TD's, and 14 INT's at North Carolina.

A common theme echoed by Howells former teammates is that he is well grounded, humble, deflects media attention and is well liked.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Howell wore #14 for the Commanders and in high school (DK#14), he wore #7 at UNC (Geno #7).

The first ten games of 2023 Howell completed 66.5% of his attempts for 2,783 yards, 17 TD's and 9 INT's through 10 games. After week 10 Howell was the NFL's leading passer 15 yards ahead of Houstons CJ Stroud.
Also at the 10 week mark, Howell:
Touchdowns tied 3rd (17)
Completions 1st (264)
Passing yards 1st (2783)

Only 4 QB's in NFL history have more passing yards through 11 games than Howell.
Patrick Mahomes
Justin Herbert
Joe Burrow
Cam Newton
Sam Howell

Howell is Also one of only 8 QB's with four 300 yard passing games in their first 11 games.

2023 Howell vs Geno
Pass attempts
Howell 612
Geno 499
Passing
Howell 3946 yards
Geno 3624 yards

Head to head Nov. 12, 2023
Seahawks win 29-26 on a walk off 43 yard FG by Jason Myers.

Howell 29-44, 312 yards, 3 TD.
Geno 31-47, 369 yards, 2 TD.

Entering week 12 only one QB had thrown for 3,000 yards, Sam Howell.
Howell was sacked 65 times in 2023, that was #1 ahead of Bryce Young (62).
Geno was sacked 31 times in 23' and 46 times in 2022.

Howell is younger than Bo Nix and has a full year of NFL starting experience under his belt.
In 2022 the bleacherreport had Howell ranked as the 5th best QB and a #90 overall draft ranking. They compared him to Jalen Hurts.

Howell piled up 7,224 yards, 68 TD's, and 14 INT's at North Carolina.

A common theme echoed by Howells former teammates is that he is well grounded, humble, deflects media attention and is well liked.
Cherry picked stats for his best weeks? Why use week 11 or 12 except for that?

I imagine he had historic numbers for Thursday night games against teams named the Jets while playing in DC with a RB named Rodriguez too?

bileever

Reaction score

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Read very slow & try comprehension.
Way to not answer the question of why you are using week 10, 11 etc numbers. Please quote the part of the post that explains why you are using weird sets of stats. Otherwise it looks like cherry picking.

OP
OP
Seahawker

Seahawker

Reaction score
A partial review. Howell mostly played great from week 1 through week 11 although that was not reflected by Washington's W/L record.

He threw 21 INT's. 13 in 5 games, 8 in the other 12 games. 4 in the last 7 games.

He was sacked 65 times, most in the NFL. 40 came in the last 7 weeks.

He had a barrage of sacks the last 7 weeks of the season, but only had 4 INT's in the same time period.

The Commanders O-Line sucks, Howell's best play is ahead of him. He has plenty of potential and I think John did well snagging him.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A partial review. Howell mostly played great from week 1 through week 11 although that was not reflected by Washington's W/L record.

He threw 21 INT's. 13 in 5 games, 8 in the other 12 games. 4 in the last 7 games.

He was sacked 65 times, most in the NFL. 40 came in the last 7 weeks.

He had a barrage of sacks the last 7 weeks of the season, but only had 4 INT's in the same time period.

The Commanders O-Line sucks, Howell's best play is ahead of him. He has plenty of potential and I think John did well snagging him.
We had a worse OL last year when it came to allowing pressure, to be fair. Most of those sacks were straight up on Howell.

That's a fixable issue, but it was definitely significantly in part due to his play.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I am known as a Geno fan, but I don't think Howell is without merit. He reminds me of a really interesting mix of Baker Mayfield and Russell Wilson.

Sure, last year wasn't pretty. He took almost 70 sacks, and he did it with a line that was as good or even slightly better than ours when it came to how many pressures they were allowing. That's the difference right now between the caliber of Geno and Sam - Sam can't operate through that yet, whereas Geno can take that and still turn out a top-10 lowest sacked rate because he learned timing and pocket navigation.

With that being said, Geno didn't ALWAYS have that, and it wasn't coached into Sam. The goal would be to do so here.

Howell is scrappy. He'll never be that deliberative, surgical general that leads the team on his arm like a Peyton Manning. He'll never be that spread-god pocket passer archetype like Geno. What he will be is an improvisational shotcaller with the ability to scramble and chuck it deep. Sam loves pushing the ball vertically, attacking seams, attacking the boundary, and he's bad at essentially everything Russell Wilson was bad at.

As we learned with Russ - you give him a great rushing attack and you can mitigate those factors. Same is true with Sam, but Sam's a projection. We don't know what he's capable of picking up. What we do know is that the potential IS there regardless of how many people want to wring their hands about his interceptions/sacks last year. Sam is a project, but he's a project that could really turn into something.

But yeah. Don't rush him into game action. He NEEDS this rehabilitative stint on the bench. It is critical.

To compare to our previous backup, Drew Lock - I like Lock better head-to-head if I had to choose one QB to play tomorrow, but I think Howell is the more talented player. Lock's got the physical stuff, but Howell's got more of a natural feel. I think Howell is the better bet to really, really take to coaching. I think Lock, you kinda get what you saw.

Last edited:

Smellyman

Reaction score
They did nothing but pass and put Howell in awful positions constantly. It is why Bienemy is now in college. He was getting Howell killed. A young QB shouldn't be passing more than any other QB in the league.

Good news is he has now seen a lot. Also, Jim Nagy said on Brock and Salk that he would take Howell over all QBs in this draft except Caleb Williams.

seahawks08

Reaction score
The question is can he soak in and have a football IQ to make good in the moment decisions and would he be able to translate into a different system. Is he willing to put in the effort and repetition along with earning the trust of his coaches or would the coaches not let him compete and have already labeled him backup. Pete was classic in picking Russ over Flynn. Will Sam be the Flynn or the Russ in this context?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I still have to ask,,,,,if Howells so good why did Washington let him go and why isn't he starting ahead of Geno Smith? Payton wouldn't give a 3rd for him? Wonder why?

This admiration for Howell has to stop. He's a cheap backup and nothing more.

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
I still have to ask,,,,,if Howells so good why did Washington let him go and why isn't he starting ahead of Geno Smith? Payton wouldn't give a 3rd for him? Wonder why?

This admiration for Howell has to stop. He's a cheap backup and nothing more.

I'm not sure we should take "what would Washington do?" as some sort of evidence of good football thinking.

Latest posts