A Call for… PETE BALL!!!

Should the Seahawks Revert To Peteball?

• Total voters

Fade

Reaction score
After watching nearly full season of football (going back to last season), I think the answer is clear.

Pete Ball is the best choice going forward, given their personnel, and their QBs inability to take care of the football.

They have 2 stud running backs. The Seahawks made it harder on themselves today by not feeding them the rock more.

Time to take the ball out of Geno's hands. He continues to show that he is a bad decision maker, doesn't see the field very well, and panics when he feels the rush coming.

It sucks for all of the playmakers they have at WR & TE. Those guys deserve to be in a 40 pass a game offense. But they gotta do what is best for the team.

They should be aiming to run it 35-40 times a game going forward. Only look to throw on 3rd and long, or trailing by more than 2 scores in a game. Limit Geno Smith as much as possible.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Smith would benefit from a strong running game. Any QB would. He definitely is having problems seeing the field. Making bad decisions, forcing the ball , telegraphing passes . It was hard to watch. He should've had 3 interceptions today with one being a pick 6.

knownone

Reaction score
Despite our relatively high Y/C, our rushing success rate is league average. We're just not a consistent rushing team.

However, we're in the top 5 in passing success rate, one of the most efficient passing offenses in the league. So, I think you keep rolling the dice and hope Geno improves.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don't think 'Peteball' is the answer. The McVay school of coordinators have a very interesting running game that I wish we'd implement. I see shades of it with Waldron, but often times it's inconsistent. The McVay school will spread you out sideline to sideline, then switch up and hammer your through the middle. Heavy usage of TEs and motion to get things going. Running doesn't have to be the old school, pound it up the middle. In fact, McVay's teams have been very good running it from even 3 WR sets.

The issue with Waldron is after the initial pre scripted plays run out, we seem to be floating like a lost ship at sea. No identity, bland, uninspired play calls, weird choices on third and shorts.

Either way, the fact that we're running less than virtually every other team in the NFL is a problem. We don't need to be the Titans, but we also need to become less one dimensional and that is including trying to force the ball to one player in the passing game.

It's a strange offense we're running. At times we look brilliant and at other times the play calling is perplexing.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Despite our relatively high Y/C, our rushing success rate is league average. We're just not a consistent rushing team.

However, we're in the top 5 in passing success rate, one of the most efficient passing offenses in the league. So, I think you keep rolling the dice and hope Geno improves.
Whatever numbers you're looking at, they're a lie.

Geno is a turnover waiting to happen. Hammer the rock with your 2 talented backs, and mix some playaction off of it.

Geno's on pace for 18 TDs and 14 INTs for the season, and dropping.

If they don't switch things up, and start running it more, Geno's gonna throw 20 INTs.

knownone

Reaction score
Whatever numbers you're looking at, they're a lie.

Geno is a turnover waiting to happen. Hammer the rock with your 2 talented backs, and mix some playaction off of it.

Geno's on pace for 18 TDs and 14 INTs for the season, and dropping.

If they don't switch things up, and start running it more, Geno's gonna throw 20 INTs.
Uh, It is the success rate. That's what I'm looking at.

Also, your math is wrong. Geno is on pace for 22TD/15Int. And total stats are a terrible predictor.

Edit: Here are the passing success rate rankings.
Screen Shot 2023 10 29 at 100655 PM

Here's some basic algebra for anyone wanting to make their own projections (so as not to call one stat a lie while lying):

TD: 9/7G = x/17 => 153/7 ≈ 21.86 = 22TD
INT: 6/7G = x/17 => 102/7 ≈ 14.57 = 15 Int

Last edited:

Smellyman

Reaction score
I don't mind. whatever it takes to win, but I think people are seeing yards per carry and that is it. So often stuffed on 1st and second down was leading so some very bad 2nd and 3rd and long. the running game today was certainly a bunch of getting stuffed and a a couple of long runs.

Edit: Also to note 26 rushes by Walker just last week

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I don't think 'Peteball' is the answer. The McVay school of coordinators have a very interesting running game that I wish we'd implement. I see shades of it with Waldron, but often times it's inconsistent. The McVay school will spread you out sideline to sideline, then switch up and hammer your through the middle. Heavy usage of TEs and motion to get things going. Running doesn't have to be the old school, pound it up the middle. In fact, McVay's teams have been very good running it from even 3 WR sets.

The issue with Waldron is after the initial pre scripted plays run out, we seem to be floating like a lost ship at sea. No identity, bland, uninspired play calls, weird choices on third and shorts.

Either way, the fact that we're running less than virtually every other team in the NFL is a problem. We don't need to be the Titans, but we also need to become less one dimensional and that is including trying to force the ball to one player in the passing game.

It's a strange offense we're running. At times we look brilliant and at other times the play calling is perplexing.
I think they are specifically running less.

Running more leads to more RB injuries.

I think Waldron is purposefully saving Walker and Charbonnet for the end weeks.

We have seen our backs injured heavily in the recent years and they’ve learned to lean on the run later in the season…hopefully

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
After watching nearly full season of football (going back to last season), I think the answer is clear.

Pete Ball is the best choice going forward, given their personnel, and their QBs inability to take care of the football.

They have 2 stud running backs. The Seahawks made it harder on themselves today by not feeding them the rock more.

Time to take the ball out of Geno's hands. He continues to show that he is a bad decision maker, doesn't see the field very well, and panics when he feels the rush coming.

It sucks for all of the playmakers they have at WR & TE. Those guys deserve to be in a 40 pass a game offense. But they gotta do what is best for the team.

They should be aiming to run it 35-40 times a game going forward. Only look to throw on 3rd and long, or trailing by more than 2 scores in a game. Limit Geno Smith as much as possible.
If opposing defenses can't at least think there's a small chance that Geno can throw a few good intermediate or longer passes on them throughout the game, they'll just stack the box all the time......and we don't have Marshawn Lynch anymore. I like Walker and Charbonnet, but they're not Beast Mode. I do think we could run more and just start having two tight ends chip block damn near every play and send one to the flat at least half the time and do some damage, though.

LTH

Reaction score

Pete wants to be balanced. They were not balanced today. Geno threw the ball 37 times they ran it 17 times. I don't think Geno should have to carry most of the load there is to much talent on this team. They are more successful when they spread it out.

Your right about running the ball it will make Geno better. We agree but for different reasons . Geno is just working through adversity he will work it out. That guy has taken some visious hits this year.

That was a pretty impressive first quarter they are definitely getting better they just need some consistancy. They were decent with rezone wins 3-5 60% against the best D in the league.

LTH

seahawks08

Reaction score
I have noticed when the offense scores in the first drive or two, then we somehow don’t play a complete game. I wish we start playing the field position and giving the defense

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
13 carries total for Walker and Charbs, are you kidding me? Come on, run the damn rock and eat up some damn clock. Time of possession was horrendous yesterday.