Adrian Peterson retiring. Seahawks should hire him as running backs coach!

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson had such a powerful influence on Rashaad Penny, that the Seahawks should consider offering him a Running Backs coaching position.

It would be great if we could bring in Peterson as a coach and re-sign Penny for a minimum contract! AP had a long and productive career...He would be an excellent mentor to our running backs from K9 to Penny, DJ, Travis and newcomer Bijan Robinson, who somehow falls to us in the draft. :)

There is a rumor that we could draft Jalen Carter as a Fullback!

RiverDog

Reaction score
A good player does not necessarily make a good coach, especially highly successful, HOF type players like Peterson. There is a tendency for them to be perfectionists and not have the patience that's required to coach up a player with lesser talent.

I'm not saying that Peterson would fall into that category and the fact that he was a good mentor to Penny is a plus, but there's a lot more skills required for a successful coach, and playing ability isn't at the top of the tool chest.

JPatera76

Reaction score
A good player does not necessarily make a good coach, especially highly successful, HOF type players like Peterson. There is a tendency for them to be perfectionists and not have the patience that's required to coach up a player with lesser talent.

I'm not saying that Peterson would fall into that category and the fact that he was a good mentor to Penny is a plus, but there's a lot more skills required for a successful coach, and playing ability isn't at the top of the tool chest.
I understand this sentiment however in the brief time we did have AP here, Penny credited and praised him for teaching him and mentoring him A LOT. And we saw a whole different penny that tore it up.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I understand this sentiment however in the brief time we did have AP here, Penny credited and praised him for teaching him and mentoring him A LOT. And we saw a whole different penny that tore it up.
I'm yielding to Pete on this subject. If he feels that AP can be an effective coach, I'm sure he'll consider bringing him in.

All I'm doing is expressing some caution over hiring a HOF player into a coaching position based on his playing ability. The OP seemed to have made up his mind that AP would be "an excellent mentor to our running backs..." and seems rather adamant that the Seahawks "should hire him as a running backs coach." Certainly, his experience as a teammate with Penny is a big plus, but whether that translates into being a good coach with other players is an open question that we don't know the answer to and are not in any kind of position to make that judgment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hawkspeed

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Some other posters seem to have forgotten that AP does have an interest in coaching. I don't understand the negative reactions...Don't you remember his impact on Penny, and this?
https://www.seahawks.com/news/coach-adrian-peterson

chris98251

Reaction score
I remember he was offered that here before he left to see if someone wanted him as a back for the playoffs or Super Bowl team. He may do it.