Aldon Smith visiting Seattle? UPDATE Has signed 1 year deal

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Going to be hard to figure out our best pass rushing line......maybe?

RDE: Dunlap
RDT: Aldon Smith
LDE: Hyder
LDE: Robinson

Crazy pass rush there.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Elemas":3bqwmocv said:
1 year deal incoming.

Welcome to Seattle.

Yep, confirmed.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1382714472314204160[/tweet]

These lines are shaping up to be the best we've seen in several years, on both sides of the ball. Aldon absolutely sets this DL rotation off.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Love this move. Even if he only appears as a 3rd down rusher or something, other teams will have to account for him.

John63

Reaction score
Frozenropers":1i71d469 said:

Crazy pass rush there.

Yeah this is a good move that can only help. Also frees up a need in the draft

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Oh man now that Smith is actually a Seahawk and if last season was just him shaking off the rust after 4 years, this Dline has has a pretty high ceiling to not only be dominant but rather deep. Smith at his best is a lot like Clowney but with closing speed. That’s scary.

The SFO(-ish) pipeline still feels weird but hey maybe that means there’s a chance for Fred Warner to be Seahawk down the road, some day.

iigakusei

Reaction score
John63":1b6p241h said:
Frozenropers":1b6p241h said:

Crazy pass rush there.

Unfortunately they don't have any draft picks.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hopefully, Smith, doesn’t have the worn out thread on his tires/knees with the four years he was gone.

Smith, destroyed the Seahawks offensive line last time and its good to have him our side now.

I’m still not sure our defensive line will be consistently pressuring quarterbacks but it’s better than it was before, hopefully

Like all things, it will be a wait and see.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting. Very interesting.

Hopefully he's still got something left in the tank

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
iigakusei":27mqs4p2 said:
John63":27mqs4p2 said:
Frozenropers":27mqs4p2 said:

Crazy pass rush there.

Unfortunately they don't have any draft picks.

There might be only 3 picks. But in a vacuum if you have 7 picks and you can hit on 3 of them that’s a decent draft. Seahawks just have no margin for error and have to bat 3 for 3. Maybe not plausible but not impossible. However, Seahawks do look primed to be a top destination for the cream of the crop of UDFAs who are essentially cheaper and with little investment involved are easier to move around a roster/practice squad than a draft pick would be.

And it’s comforting to know that for at least this draft class there is going to way less content for “should’ve, could’ve, would’ve, criticize-everything-before-anything-happens” crowd.

kf3339

Reaction score
It sounds like a good signing and you can never have enough pass rush. Just look what happened to us when Clemons went down in the 2012 playoffs and Avril went down in the Super Bowl. That alone makes this a positive signing.

I just really hope they have a plan for OL in the draft and/or remaining FA as our depth is still very weak in my book.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Great move. Maybe we'll see more nascar and bandit packages. Plus Adams on blitzes? :drool: Pass-happy teams won't have a chance!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not sure why this is not being brought up....but Aldon Smith was a terror for the first 3-4 games of the season, but then his production tailed off significantly.

It sounds like we signed him. Happy to have him. But curious.

What was the reason for the almost falling off a cliff loss of production?

Everything I look at talking about it from the Cowboys side seems to allude to mysterious 'problems' that it never gets deeper into. Just indicating that those problems (off field? on field? in the locker room? what?) led to him being used less.

It always makes me nervous when we think that guys with problems in one place won't have the same problems here.

But at this point, if he can help our pass rush I almost wouldn't care.

Confused on this because it makes no sense. Usually big problems tend to leak, seeing nothing on that front. But the giant drop in production has to come from somewhere.

I would prefer they use him a situational pass rusher and maybe only every other game in the event this was just his endurance being the factor. If we use him sparingly, even with less tread on the tires, he should still have a bit left for the playoffs (if we make them).

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":w00t0cjb said:
Not sure why this is not being brought up....but Aldon Smith was a terror for the first 3-4 games of the season, but then his production tailed off significantly.

Everything I look at talking about it from the Cowboys side seems to allude to mysterious 'problems' that it never gets deeper into. Just indicating that those problems (off field? on field? in the locker room? what?) led to him being used less.

It always makes me nervous when we think that guys with problems in one place won't have the same problems here.

Confused on this because it makes no sense. Usually big problems tend to leak, seeing nothing on that front. But the giant drop in production has to come from somewhere.

I would prefer they use him a situational pass rusher and maybe only every other game in the event this was just his endurance being the factor. If we use him sparingly, even with less tread on the tires, he should still have a bit left for the playoffs (if we make them).

Probably because the boys went from bad to awful, no point in getting hurt.

kf3339

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3s7en07c said:

It could just be that the Cowboys were screwed up with their defense and just didn't utilize him well last year. Who knows with those guys. But they did reject a trade offer from us, so my bet is that they were just bad at defensive game planning last year.

hoxrox

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2gl75gbj said:

He probably just ran out of steam, being out of the league for so long.

So he should be much more conditioned and reacclimated, entering this new season

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The DLine has now been repopulated with a very potentially strong cast.

Taylor, Robinson, Collier, and Green are going to need to compete to see the field much.

I'm jazzed by this signing! At one time before his huge problems with alcohol and guns he was one of the very best DE's in the NFL. If he can regain his form the team has finally got another answers for their pass rush.

sutz

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":9an996cw said:

For one thing, sacks come in bunches anyway. A 16 sack guy doesn't get 1 sack in every game that season.

After several season off, it doesn't surprise me that he 'petered out' after the first few games.

We'll see, though, I guess. Probably can't hurt.