Anyone else concerned

kidhawk

Reaction score
This. That was Abe Lucas who put his man on ice skates and had him halfway up the 101 to San Fran by the time the pass came out. It was literally too good of a block and we caught a penalty for it.

Al Woods is a double team sponge and he STILL lives in the opponents backfield. The struggle appears to be at the second level. Both Barton and Brooks need to take better angles, better work through the wash, and finish the tackle at the point of attack. Darrell Taylor needs to work on setting a better edge as well. He's so athletic and eager that he's rushing upfield a yard or two too far, which is leading to some cutback lanes. All these things are on film. And they are all coachable. I expect to see growth and improvement in this area.

Also do not undersell the impact of not having Jamal Adams out there. I know it doesn't fit the whipping boy narrative, but that dude is a heat seeking missle and this defense was miles better with him than without.

100% agreed on Adams' impact. Yes he cost us a lot, and yes, his injuries have impacted the team negatively. Looking back at the trade and new contract coupled with the injuries, I understand people being upset with the return value, but when he has been on the field, he has been a difference maker. Just in the limited time he played in week 1, he had a sack and an almost INT. He makes offenses have to scheme around him. Without him there, offenses can open up their playbooks so much more.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
100% agreed on Adams' impact. Yes he cost us a lot, and yes, his injuries have impacted the team negatively. Looking back at the trade and new contract coupled with the injuries, I understand people being upset with the return value, but when he has been on the field, he has been a difference maker. Just in the limited time he played in week 1, he had a sack and an almost INT. He makes offenses have to scheme around him. Without him there, offenses can open up their playbooks so much more.
Wholeheartedly agree. It's too easy to look at the trade and contract in a vacuum and say "the ROI isn't there" and continue to live your life completely butthurt about it. But that means your still ignoring the man's ability and impact on the field.

BASF

Reaction score
Only one of you brought up shedding blocks and for me that is the biggest concern of any other defensively. We have a bumch of high effort swarm to the ball players when it is short yardage, but not with more space available. The reason is shedding your blocks in short yardage is different than normal circumstances. The hand fighting and leg drive is different and it seems to be a large problem this year and not just the linebackers. If we can't coach that aspect up and quickly we may need to bring in some ouside coaching help. It is the main difference in those two and three yard runs of yesteryear and the six and seven yard runs of today.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Not going to overreact to this weeks loss. SF is a top Defense and Running team in the league. Atlanta and Detroit will be more our level as we are just getting some young players the reps. I'll be concerned if the next few weeks we have major Defensive letdowns

Wholeheartedly agree. It's too easy to look at the trade and contract in a vacuum and say "the ROI isn't there" and continue to live your life completely butthurt about it. But that means your still ignoring the man's ability and impact on the field.
Yea - gruntingly I'd have to agree with you - like I've said, I like the dude's swagger and talk - just wish it panned out better.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
It'll only bother me if they don't get guys who aren't tackling well consistently replaced. I at least would like to see other players get reps when the top guy is misfiring. They may be worse and the starter has to come back in, but I want the message conveyed, that you'll get sat down if you don't execute. I'd prefer massive roster churn like 2010, but I'm not expecting that unless we get to 8-10 losses in the first 12 games. At that point, I'm thinking they may start pulling the rip cord on guys who aren't improving AND are at contract crossroads

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It'll only bother me if they don't get guys who aren't tackling well consistently replaced. I at least would like to see other players get reps when the top guy is misfiring. They may be worse and the starter has to come back in, but I want the message conveyed, that you'll get sat down if you don't execute. I'd prefer massive roster churn like 2010, but I'm not expecting that unless we get to 8-10 losses in the first 12 games. At that point, I'm thinking they may start pulling the rip cord on guys who aren't improving AND are at contract crossroads
You mean something like an 'always compete' philosophy?

Gee, I wonder where that's gone?!

I agree. Do your job or ride the pine.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
This. That was Abe Lucas who put his man on ice skates and had him halfway up the 101 to San Fran by the time the pass came out. It was literally too good of a block and we caught a penalty for it.

Al Woods is a double team sponge and he STILL lives in the opponents backfield. The struggle appears to be at the second level. Both Barton and Brooks need to take better angles, better work through the wash, and finish the tackle at the point of attack. Darrell Taylor needs to work on setting a better edge as well. He's so athletic and eager that he's rushing upfield a yard or two too far, which is leading to some cutback lanes. All these things are on film. And they are all coachable. I expect to see growth and improvement in this area.

Also do not undersell the impact of not having Jamal Adams out there. I know it doesn't fit the whipping boy narrative, but that dude is a heat seeking missle and this defense was miles better with him than without.
Monday night Taylor looked like he was deliberately slow playing the corner to keep Wilson from rolling right. This week he's too eager. Reminded me of Curry (forbidden name, I know), just too athletic and fast to stay in position.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Yes I remember that post too. I can't remember the poster, but Ivan Lewis' only other previous experience was with USC from 2014-2018. They also had injury issues there and struggled.

Here's his picture
That Picture just needs a number to be a mugshot.