Are We the 2011 Giants?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I want to start this off by saying, I have never once this season believed we were a true contender for the Super Bowl. I have been just enjoying each game as they come (some more than others).

A lot of talk lately has circled around whether or not we deserve the playoffs or whether or not we should try for better draft position. Most of these arguments are based on we have a bad defense and don't stand a chance in the playoffs (I do actually agree, but I digress).

The 2011 New York Giants show there can be exceptions to rules. They were a lot like we are this year. I believe they had a bottom of the league defense with a pretty good offense. They went 9-7, with a better road record than home record. At one point, they had a 4 game losing streak. Our worst streak ended at 3 games. Once they made the playoffs, they beat everyone, including the previously undefeated Patriots to win it all.

I'll repeat it for clarity, I understand that we are unlikely to repeat that feat, but don't we want to at least root for it to happen? Isn't that what being a fan is about, rooting for your team to win games, make the playoffs and see what you can do?

I hate to bring Russ into this, but WHY NOT US?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's a good comparison. The Giants didn't have much of a defense or run game during the season IIRC; I think the biggest discrepancy comes from depth and experience. 2011 Giants had a little more of that. Meanwhile our RBs have been beat up, just lost brooks, been playing random guys at safety all season. Depth and injury are the main reasons I'm skeptical about us being able to do much in the playoffs.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
It's a good comparison. The Giants didn't have much of a defense or run game during the season IIRC; I think the biggest discrepancy comes from depth and experience. 2011 Giants had a little more of that. Meanwhile our RBs have been beat up, just lost brooks, been playing random guys at safety all season. Depth and injury are the main reasons I'm skeptical about us being able to do much in the playoffs.

I'm skeptical as well, as I noted in my post. I just don't see it happen, but I do think we gain two things by making the playoffs, we have a shot to win every time we take the field. Our defense is not very good right now, but we do have a few ball hawks out there, and a couple of timely takeaways can change the course of a game. There are only 4 games to be played in the playoffs, so truly anything can happen. Also, I can't say this enough, but I find playoff experience for our young guys to be a very valuable commodity.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Well Pete did say this was a championship opportunity. 🎱

hawks85

Reaction score
I want to start this off by saying, I have never once this season believed we were a true contender for the Super Bowl. I have been just enjoying each game as they come (some more than others).

A lot of talk lately has circled around whether or not we deserve the playoffs or whether or not we should try for better draft position. Most of these arguments are based on we have a bad defense and don't stand a chance in the playoffs (I do actually agree, but I digress).

The 2011 New York Giants show there can be exceptions to rules. They were a lot like we are this year. I believe they had a bottom of the league defense with a pretty good offense. They went 9-7, with a better road record than home record. At one point, they had a 4 game losing streak. Our worst streak ended at 3 games. Once they made the playoffs, they beat everyone, including the previously undefeated Patriots to win it all.

I'll repeat it for clarity, I understand that we are unlikely to repeat that feat, but don't we want to at least root for it to happen? Isn't that what being a fan is about, rooting for your team to win games, make the playoffs and see what you can do?

I hate to bring Russ into this, but WHY NOT US?
I agree with this, but if I remember correctly once the Giants were in the playoffs that year their Defense was a whole other Defense. That Defense punched everybody they play in the mouth. They had no chance against the undefeated Pats and they did one thing that no other team did that year, and that is punch that Brady offense in the mouth and hard. Now, can we do that this year, possibly. One thing is in our way and that's the Det and GB game.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This defense is way too soft.

Yes, they held Mike White and the Jets to 6. But on the whole, way too many yards given up.

But I will hope

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I agree with this, but if I remember correctly once the Giants were in the playoffs that year their Defense was a whole other Defense. That Defense punched everybody they play in the mouth. They had no chance against the undefeated Pats and they did one thing that no other team did that year, and that is punch that Brady offense in the mouth and hard. Now, can we do that this year, possibly. One thing is in our way and that's the Det and GB game.
And we HAVE TO beat the Rams who have Aaron Donald coming back

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Didn't that D line basically take over the game?

Ours ain't doin' that. We can hope, I guess.

NJlargent

Reaction score
That Giants team had a beast of a DL. Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck were studs. Chris Canty was good and Kiwanuka at LB was also very good. Their OL was also good and they rarely went 3 and out. They significantly underachieved early in the season but Coughlin righted that ship and had them always ready to play in the playoffs.

We have zero DL and often sleepwalk early and play down to the opponent. I would be stunned if we could string a few impressive victories together.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
The NFL is unpredictable, that is why survivor pools are so hard. If we make the play-offs we on the road every game agaist a team that is almost certainly better than us but we might have might have a 25-30% chance of winning each game. Which would mean a 0.5 to 1% chance of winning all 4.

Sure it can happen but it is unlikely.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I'm all for having the 4th and 32nd pick in the draft!!!

Geno gets hot..
DK balls out for a number of deep balls...
Uncharacteristic TO's by our opponents ...

Never know...Any given Sunday like @SoulfishHawk like to say.

Why not us? Every team has peaks and valleys and the only thing the Hawks know is how to move forward. We just have to believe obviously. I know we can overcome the adversity like we have many times if we put our faith in God. Those guys in that locker-room have obviously worked their butts off all year, and now we will see the separation because of the preparation. This franchise has been a winner since day one obviously, and they are going to rise to the occasion because we don't accept losing.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Didn't that D line basically take over the game?
That line had All-Pro JPP; that was the year he was selected. The Seahawks don't have a game-wrecking 16.5 sacks in a season dude. The Giants had Justin Tuck on the other side.

They also had a QB who had won a Super Bowl.

Anything can happen, but this analogy is missing a few pieces.

mrblitz

Reaction score
During that 2011 playoff run, Giants D-Line was remarkable. At defensive end, they had (among others) Umenyiora, Tuck, and Pierre-Paul. They also had Rocky Bernard as one of their tackles on the roster.

Man they destroyed the Packers on the road. I remember watching that and thinking, 'these giants are not kidding around... they're for real' just on the basis of what their d-line was doing in that game.

knownone

Reaction score
Maybe. The NFC is so bad that it would not shock me if we did serious damage in the playoffs (assuming we make it).

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm skeptical as well, as I noted in my post. I just don't see it happen, but I do think we gain two things by making the playoffs, we have a shot to win every time we take the field. Our defense is not very good right now, but we do have a few ball hawks out there, and a couple of timely takeaways can change the course of a game. There are only 4 games to be played in the playoffs, so truly anything can happen. Also, I can't say this enough, but I find playoff experience for our young guys to be a very valuable commodity.
The playoff experience is priceless for this squad, even if it’s one and done.

Not only the experience of making the playoffs but the bitterness of losing in the playoffs has value.

I’m still 100% hopeful in spite of not having much hope, does that make any sense.