Armadillo-like stadium hits a home run in Las Vegas

ivotuk

Reaction score
Over the years, we've seen architects create stadiums that take all sorts of unlikely forms, including a nomadic tent, a large hat, and a big golden bowl. This upcoming ballpark by Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) might top them all, however, with its unusual curving metallic exterior likened by the firm to a "spherical armadillo."

Planned to be the new Vegas home of Oakland's Athletics Major League Baseball team, the stadium is being created in collaboration with engineering company HNTB and will be situated on a 9-acre (3.6-hectare) site on Las Vegas Boulevard, between Tropicana Avenue and Reno Avenue.

Athletics Dome

Hawker

Reaction score
I like it. Someone wanted a Sydney Opera House MLB stadium...

Only 33,000 seats? MLB average is close to 44,000. Vegas would host the smallest capacity in all of baseball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Over the years, we've seen architects create stadiums that take all sorts of unlikely forms, including a nomadic tent, a large hat, and a big golden bowl. This upcoming ballpark by Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) might top them all, however, with its unusual curving metallic exterior likened by the firm to a "spherical armadillo."

Planned to be the new Vegas home of Oakland's Athletics Major League Baseball team, the stadium is being created in collaboration with engineering company HNTB and will be situated on a 9-acre (3.6-hectare) site on Las Vegas Boulevard, between Tropicana Avenue and Reno Avenue.

HNTB is a great company

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like it. Someone wanted a Sydney Opera House MLB stadium...

Only 33,000 seats? MLB average is close to 44,000. Vegas would host the smallest capacity in all of baseball.
I know, that's just crazy! Maybe the owners have too much money and don't need the extra income?

More likely, they expect more people to watch games on TV? Or, they realized the Athletics have NO fans, and only opposing team fans will be showing up for the game, and they wanted to keep the noise level down.

Hawker

Reaction score
I know, that's just crazy! Maybe the owners have too much money and don't need the extra income?

More likely, they expect more people to watch games on TV? Or, they realized the Athletics have NO fans, and only opposing team fans will be showing up for the game, and they wanted to keep the noise level down.

I thought that too, hahaha. "Well, average attendance for the A's is about 7,000 per game over the last 10 seasons, soooo...."