"Being Young Isn't a Valid Excuse Anymore"

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Right, trial run to see if you can continue to blame the coaches for whatever subjective meaning you apply to your "no excuses" declaration.

So what is your Mason-Dixon line Fade as far as what that entails? What's your criteria for wins and losses, playoff run depth, etc. Let's get it out of the way now.
It's in the post. Very reasonable, and would garner universal agreement.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
The NFL is designed to prevent tems statying at the top all the time.
If you win the SB you ger the 32nd draft pick, they might be the same age as the number 1 pick but on average will impact the team less.
If your team is better than ll the others, although you are paying the same saleries other teams will offer many of your players more than you can afford to keep them, you have to let some of your top players go so you can afford to keep the rest at a bigger contract and fill in the space with someone at a lower salary.

It is easy to stay at the bottom, just waste all the capital you have, use trade picks on players that will never make the NFL, or trade them for a superstar player just as he starts to decline.

Staying at the top is almost impossible, unless you get the GOAT QB who is willing to earning a below par wage because they want rings more than $s you need to continually find star players that others have missed. Age doesn't really come into it, it can be a drafting a stub rookie in the 5th round or giving a QB that everyone had rejected another chance because you know he has changed.

BASF

Reaction score
The problem is the DCs should have been puppets, but Carroll has had too much faith in them, given them too much time and too much power to influence personnel in the aforementioned seven seasons. If Carroll was not trying to mentor them, we would have had better results.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
Show me a team who dumped their Franchise QB so they could save money to keep their existing roster mostly intact? You speak of fantasy.

QB's don't account for 50% of the salary cap. They usually account around 15%. Moving off of him, his replacement is going to eat into that. Leaving you with about $20M in additional space to go get a really good player, but not a top flight player at the more valuable non-QB positions. As They go for $30M+.

Personal preferences are one thing, the actual data is another.

The data is clear, it's up to you if you choose to ignore it or not.

It's impossible to build a dynasty in the modern NFL, NFL rosters turnover 80% every 3 years. However, Franchise QBs are one of the few ways you can actually consistently win, as the most valuable piece on the chess board that can be a 15 yr mainstay, keeping that player intact, while moving the parts around him is the way to go. Not dumping him to save a measly 5-15% on the cap depending on the direction you go with his replacement.

According to your logic, the Chiefs were fools for paying Mahomes and should've moved off of him instead.

Belichick put out the blue-print with Brady, constantly remaking the team around him. And Brady's discounts over his career were highly exaggerated. Between Russell Wilson signing his first extension in 2015 through 2019. The Patriots won 2 more Super Bowls, while Brady counted $15M total cap dollars more ($3M avg.) against the cap in that span than Wilson. The real key to Belichick's team building success was never over paying the other guys, while continuing to redo Brady's contract to keep his cap hits as low as they could manage. (Still costed more than Wilson 2015-2019 on avg.)

The Chiefs are executing it right now as well, moving off other expensive pieces to keep their QB and it's working. They will extend Mahomes in the not too distant future, (probably next off-season) to lower his cap number, and keep pushing.
I said that I think the franchise QB is over-valued. I didn't say they have no value. It's like winning with a below average JGoff v PMahomes. Football is still the ultimate team game and one player can make a team better, but they can't win alone.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
What?

2022: I said age isn't an excuse.

2023: I said age isn't an excuse.

Last year I said the Seahawks would be younger in '23, but with higher expecations so the "their young" excuse would age like milk. Here we are.
Fair enough

warden

Reaction score
Maybe you should enjoy watching these young players grow and develop instead of complaining that you are not getting instant gratification