Bevell defenders, anyone, please explain this to me

Crizilla

Reaction score
akscoundrel":558551gt said:
Crizilla":558551gt said:
hawknation2015":558551gt said:
Lol, lockett was only 'wide open' after the throw was made to graham. No reason for the defender to follow lockett around the football field, and ins dad go make the tackle.

There's plenty to criticize bevell, and everybody, over. But, let's at least be honest and knowledgeable about it.

Not true at all. The defense gave them what they gave them. They were begging us to make a play. The offense had an opportunity mid field and Wilson wasn't able to get the ball to him. This isn't rocket science.

9Sj1EAE

Lockett made plenty of separation after he crosses the forty (this screenshot is right before Wilson releases the ball keep in mind). Wilson has made tougher throws in tighter windows.

At some point you have to play fearless. An Incomplete pass and throwing to Graham for a few yards results in punting. Take that chance. Fire a rocket to Lockett for the 1st down on 3rd down. Simple as that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":26vcgc8k said:
Probably because you're expecting Davis to play him at the sticks, so you throw underneath and hope Graham can make a play for the extra yardage. Or maybe Lockett was a target, but the pass rush dictated a quicker throw to Graham.

Or we can just assume everyone is incompetent and fully intended for this play to go only three yards. That fits the agenda nicely.

you've got it closer than anyone, I think.

Looking at the route concept, Graham draws the LBer to that side, plus the LBer on underneath coverage. Once he pulls that 2nd guy, Lockett is wide open for a good 15 yards gain before he gets hit.

This makes sense as Graham was drawing triple coverage at times. He had 12 targets out of 24 is what I think I read. You can see it: the slot on the right side was open, but he would also have had to break a tackle at the sticks. The outside WR on the top was open too, as the defender was playing soft, watching Wilson stare down Graham.

The play should've gone to Lockett. Wilson stares at Graham, draws the underneath coverage, then hits Lockett. Elite guys like Manning, Brady and Rodgers all move defenders with their eyes. Wilson has done it, but typically when he goes deep.

I honestly don't have a problem with the route concepts here. Rodges could've hit 3 of our guys for a first down. This was actually the 2nd, maybe the 3rd best option for Wilson. Graham breaks a tackle more often than a slot WR does. I still think it should've gone to: 1. Lockett, 2. The Z WR on the top right, 3. Graham, 4. the slot WR on the right. If Wilson shows that look, and waits another half a second to a second, Lockett gets them a huge gain.

I gotta say this one is on Wilson. The throw to Graham wasn't a bad play, but manipulating the defense and hitting your quickest WR in stride, when he's open, is the better play. Wilson took the easy play.

White Devil

Reaction score
Crizilla":15x8vrus said:
akscoundrel":15x8vrus said:
Crizilla":15x8vrus said:
hawknation2015":15x8vrus said:
Lol, lockett was only 'wide open' after the throw was made to graham. No reason for the defender to follow lockett around the football field, and ins dad go make the tackle.

There's plenty to criticize bevell, and everybody, over. But, let's at least be honest and knowledgeable about it.

Not true at all. The defense gave them what they gave them. They were begging us to make a play. The offense had an opportunity mid field and Wilson wasn't able to get the ball to him. This isn't rocket science.

9Sj1EAE

Lockett made plenty of separation after he crosses the forty (this screenshot is right before Wilson releases the ball keep in mind). Wilson has made tougher throws in tighter windows.

At some point you have to play fearless. An Incomplete pass and throwing to Graham for a few yards results in punting. Take that chance. Fire a rocket to Lockett for the 1st down on 3rd down. Simple as that.

You're asking for an impossible throw.

If it's a fast laser, batted down or INT by Kuechly.

If it's added loft for touch, INT by CB covering Lockett.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1mdfweup said:
mrt144":1mdfweup said:
It's bizarre that almost every criticism with RW boils down to "he should have made THIS pass instead of THAT pass or no pass, I don't care what the coverage looks like".

That's basically what it comes down to with the holding it too long or not seeing open men etc etc.

I wonder how many NFL teams would pay 20 million for that.

With me it's not the "should have"............it's the overall tentativeness and fear of making mistakes that bothers me about Russell.

I made a thread last Friday about how great Brees looked, confident throwing into double coverage, tight spaces with no fear or tentativeness.

THAT'S what I want out of Russell. EVERY QB makes wrong reads or doesn't see open receivers from time to time. It's the tentative play out of Russell that's driving me crazy.

He's been so coached up to just not make a mistake and let your defense win the game. Well my friends, that shit ain't working this year. Russell needs to be unleashed and go make some damn plays and stop pussy footin' around.

Agree on RW needing to be unleashed. Hopefully it happens before the coaches "break" him.
Personally -at this point - I would rather have him making some mistakes or turnovers due to taking some chances and being aggressive versus what we have now.

Crizilla

Reaction score
mrt144":bvpha2a5 said:
Panic back pedal?

:177692:

Yes. Wilson still has trouble getting his happy feet set properly. If they want to unleash Wilson then Wilson needs to make pocket throws.

mrt144

Reaction score
Man, if only we had drafted Wilson in his early 30s, after he had all that experience like Brees, Brady and Rodgers have now.

I love the comparisons to people who have been in the league twice as long if not more than him. Why can't he do these things that other QBs do after the culmination of years and years of experience playing a specific type of pass first football?

:lol:

mrt144

Reaction score
Crizilla":3s1ffnde said:
mrt144":3s1ffnde said:
Panic back pedal?

:177692:

Yes. Wilson still has trouble getting his happy feet set properly. If they want to unleash Wilson then Wilson needs to make pocket throws.

Panic back pedal it is.

Crizilla

Reaction score
White Devil":3kfdtq90 said:

OUO7Nzj

Here the ball is already to Graham. The deep safety definitely would not have gotten there in time to disrupt the pass if it was thrown to Lockett. The toughest part would be getting it past Keuchly, yes. Still though it is a throw that needed to be made. If Keauchly bats it down then you punt. As you do if you pass to the hot route for a minimal gain.

White Devil

Reaction score
Crizilla":ji72z8xt said:
White Devil":ji72z8xt said:

OUO7Nzj

Here the ball is already to Graham. The deep safety definitely would not have gotten there in time to disrupt the pass if it was thrown to Lockett. The toughest part would be getting it past Keuchly, yes. Still though it is a throw that needed to be made. If Keauchly bats it down then you punt. As you do if you pass to the hot route for a minimal gain.

No.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty easy to look at some still shots and just assume Wilson is doing something wrong. But I've come to expect that these days. Nothing Wilson does is good enough. The play call itself is a joke. But if they actually BLOCK for him, maybe he has time to look around a little bit.

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2jpf4pt0 said:
Pretty easy to look at some still shots and just assume Wilson is doing something wrong. But I've come to expect that these days. Nothing Wilson does is good enough. The play call itself is a joke. But if they actually BLOCK for him, maybe he has time to look around a little bit.

That people expect near perfect play every single play given the malinvestment in passing offense by JS and PC is kinda makes me sad - to be this critical of a QB in spite of the team build and failings in the offense.

I just watched the first half of the All-22 of the Packers game against the Chargers and focused on everyone but Rodgers. They are just a flat out better team on offense absent Rodgers. It mostly looks cohesive and with purpose on any given play.

Crizilla

Reaction score
White Devil":yamxlhch said:
Crizilla":yamxlhch said:
White Devil":yamxlhch said:

OUO7Nzj

No.

Cool. Hot routes to the Owl it is.

edogg23

Reaction score
I swear I saw an empty backfield play on Sunday where Russell took the ball under center instead of in shotgun and then proceeded to struggle to see over the collapsing pocket. Did anyone else wonder about that play call? Why would you ever run that formation?

sam1313

Reaction score
aawolf":1gsnwd7e said:
Look at Garry Gilliam, who I think is playing RT. He whiffs big time on his attempted block. Just falls down. That's brutal.

This was meant to be a quick pass. Linemen are often called upon in these situations to do a cut block to try to get the defenders hands down (and hopefully the defenders down too). They aren't always successful, but they are only meant to buy 2-3 seconds, not 4-5 seconds of time to throw.

I have been mostly impressed with Gilliam, and I think he is far better than Britt was last year and not much worse that Giacomi the year before.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":twanrkqx said:
I'm going to harp on this again. If they would just line up Graham at Split End, he would be able to get upfield along the sideline much quicker. Having him run cut three yards shy of the first down marker makes no sense in this situation.

I'm not sure how putting Graham on the outside gives him more space to operate or makes him more of a mismatch. I would think you will actually lose less space and the ability to scheme him against linebackers and smaller corners by playing him full-time at split end.

He's not a quick twitch athlete. Nor is he's necessarily a great route runner. Corners will play tighter on him and can cover ground quicker because his hips are stiffer on his cuts than your average receiver meaning every attempt will be contested. Just like the slant route that went incomplete on 3rd down.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Crizilla":1asuubom said:
akscoundrel":1asuubom said:
Crizilla":1asuubom said:
hawknation2015":1asuubom said:

9Sj1EAE

There's no way that pass is getting to Lockett there. The Panthers have that well covered, hence why they conceded a 3 yard out to Graham.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2l58i2hi said:
Wait, wait wait

Bevell still has defenders?

Sure, not all of us are narrow minded fans that think 100% of every offensive snap that fails is the fault of our offensive coordinator.

When a season, scheme, gameplan and single play execution fails, it's everyone involves fault...........from the HC, coordinators, QB who installed the gameplan to each and every player during that game and in this case specific play.

I'm not a huge fan of Bevell, but like I've said before if we're handing out blame for our teams 2-4 record, he's not even top 5. Kris Richard is the coordinator people should be focusing on, he's taken an elite all time defense with 80-90% of it's core players from last year and coached them into mediocrity with a lack of passion and parade of miscommunication errors that keep happening over and over.

The offense? Other than lack of explosive plays like we normally have, we're still the same top 15 offense, #1 rush.

Latest posts