Browner 1 year suspension is for substance abuse per NFL

12thManNorth

Reaction score
I would imagine Browner would HAVE to have known he was in Stage 3, so with that being the case, getting stoned mid-season is just a stupid and selfish decision. Feels like deja vu right now, another Seahawks corner trying to get out of a failed test due to a technicality. Here's to hoping he wins it, but only because I'm desperate for a Super Bowl

HawkFan72

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":140raqu0 said:
Virtually everyone would be behind and support Browner if this was his first suspension of any kind. #fact

That's true. And most of us were willing to give him a second chance after his suspension last year.

This isn't his first suspension of any kind.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
I think way too much is being made of this stuff.

It sucks we lose Thurmond right now because it hurts our depth at CB, but he was depth to begin with. Losing him doesn't suck as bad as BB getting a groin injury did, but we'll deal with it; he'll serve his suspension and be back for the playoffs, it's really not so much to cry about.

As for Browner, from the way they were talking about his injury we probably weren't going to see him suit up again this year anyway and his impending free agency likely had him going elsewhere next year anyway, so there is not much relevance to his suspension as far as the team goes.

And as far as all the moral outrage, save it. This it less than a 10th as bothersome to me as a DUI or beating up a wife or girlfriend or any sort of rape or sexual assault would be. The ONLY thing that bothers me about this is the impact it has on the team we put out on the field. I also find it less bothersome than a similar PED suspension, but the difference is negligible.

As far as the ring we're gonna win this year, both players will still be members of the team and will get their rings. Rightly so IMO.

CANHawk

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":2m9wfgfy said:
I think way too much is being made of this stuff.

It sucks we lose Thurmond right now because it hurts our depth at CB, but he was depth to begin with. Losing him doesn't suck as bad as BB getting a groin injury did, but we'll deal with it; he'll serve his suspension and be back for the playoffs, it's really not so much to cry about.

As for Browner, from the way they were talking about his injury we probably weren't going to see him suit up again this year anyway and his impending free agency likely had him going elsewhere next year anyway, so there is not much relevance to his suspension as far as the team goes.

And as far as all the moral outrage, save it. This it less than a 10th as bothersome to me as a DUI or beating up a wife or girlfriend or any sort of rape or sexual assault would be. The ONLY thing that bothers me about this is the impact it has on the team we put out on the field. I also find it less bothersome than a similar PED suspension, but the difference is negligible.

As far as the ring we're gonna win this year, both players will still be members of the team and will get their rings. Rightly so IMO.

Hmmm. I enjoy your perspective and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seeker

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2uf6yex2 said:
Seeker":2uf6yex2 said:
Let Maxwell give up ONE TOUCHDOWN and watch you guys fall off your high horses so fast lol
Screw the high horse crap.
I didn't fall off any "High Horse" when Sherman got burned for TD's, because I know that shit just happens.
that wasn't what I was talking about. More the "GET BRANDON OUT OF HERE WE HAVE MAXWELL" talk will evaporate the SECOND Maxwell gives up a touchdown (which is prone to happen in the NFL). seahawks fans have been unhinged lately thanks to brock and danny who imho are unhealthy to the education of the average seahawk fan.
these are the same guys who tried to run Marshawn Lynch out of town for missing optional practices.

nitticanuck

Reaction score
Can we even confirm that he failed a drug test. And if so for weed. Nothing has been confirmed and it could be the league trying to implement a suspension that made a mistake on last year by missing the fact he was stage 3 with the rediculous rules while he was in the cfl? Free Browner!

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Seeker":1abrtms0 said:
Let Maxwell give up ONE TOUCHDOWN and watch you guys fall off your high horses so fast lol

Wouldn't be any worse than what Browner has given up over the last 3 years. If you go back at look at the Big plays allowed on the outside, the majority have been against Browner. I think Seahawk fans overrate his ability.

Seeker

Reaction score
jlwaters1":10y1fcse said:
Seeker":10y1fcse said:

Wouldn't be any worse than what Browner has given up over the last 3 years. If you go back at look at the Big plays allowed on the outside, the majority have been against Browner. I think Seahawk fans overrate his ability.

you know db's.......give up touchdowns right?
browner has been playing pretty well in his time here. lets not let our anger for the present alter the reality of the past.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
This is why I love BB:

1zlzq7r_jpg_medium.gif

100% effort 100% of the time! Yes he'll get beat occasionally but when he's used properly guys have a real hard time getting into their routs initially against him 'cause he's just so physical at the line.

I'm not gonna stop being a fan of his even if he never plays another down as a Seahawk, the guy's a stud on the field.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Seeker":d6u1i9eh said:
scutterhawk":d6u1i9eh said:
Seeker":d6u1i9eh said:
Screw the high horse crap.
I didn't fall off any "High Horse" when Sherman got burned for TD's, because I know that shit just happens.
that wasn't what I was talking about. More the "GET BRANDON OUT OF HERE WE HAVE MAXWELL" talk will evaporate the SECOND Maxwell gives up a touchdown (which is prone to happen in the NFL). seahawks fans have been unhinged lately thanks to brock and danny who imho are unhealthy to the education of the average seahawk fan.
these are the same guys who tried to run Marshawn Lynch out of town for missing optional practices.

I'm sorry but that's an inaccurate description of their opinion on the matter. It was during OTA's and their job is to talk about the Seahawks. Danny said he didn't care that Marshawn wasn't there because OTAs don't matter. Brock took the position that it matters as he usually does on any issue related to team building. Neither of them wanted nor wanted Lynch run out of town and both frequently cite Lynch as the backbone of the offense.

You shouldn't lump one opinion expressed on a show during the most boring part of the off-season and turn it into hyperbole about the opinion of both hosts.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
McGruff":33svsb3z said:
DavidSeven":33svsb3z said:
OrFan":33svsb3z said:
Why should these overpaid, pampered babies who do for a living what most of us can only dream of, be any different? Just because there are more dollar signs involved with their paycheck doesn't mean squat. At least he made enough that he shouldn't have to worry about losing his house or putting food on the table like real people do when they screw up.

Just want to point out that Browner is making around $750,000 this year. This is with his "raise." He will lose 1/4 of that if the suspension is upheld. He was making league minimum before that. I understand this is still a huge amount of money to an average joe, but you lose half of that in taxes and the earning window for an NFL player is extremely short. My guess is that what he's earned in the NFL isn't exactly going to set him up for the rest of his life.

Not really trying to argue you overall point, but this notion that all NFL players are obscenely rich and pampered is off-base.

At NFL minimum an NFL player is in the top .05% and wage earners in the world. That mean he's richer than 99.95% of the world's population.

I think that makes me obscenely rich.

And they are pampered. Even more so than others making similar money. Because not only are they wealthy, they are famous and athletic. They are wealthy and still don't have to pay for much of what they get, because fame has its perks.

The average length of an NFL career is three years. They don't get this salary for 20-40 years, so to compare annual salaries at a 1:1 ratio lacks logical thinking. And why are you using global numbers? Most of America is making significantly more money than the world average.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
"If the glove does not fit you must acquit!"

If the nflpa required tests for players no longer part of the nfl and if they missed drug tests it would come up as a failed test. Think about this... Brandon Browner could have taken perscription medication for an injery, forgot to clear it with the NFL and BOOM. Level 3 suspencion. This may be BB's first true offence wich could lead to no suspencion.
BB may be getting the short end of the stick.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3fx99v2q said:

It's unconscionable of the NFL to proceed with this without taking those extenuating circumstances into account. If they don't rescind his suspension on appeal they will wind up paying a monster settlement for lost earning capability and NFL fans will have been deprived of one the leagues more entertaining members in the interim.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
So I really get the outrage toward Browner, I really do, but there are extenuating circumstances here that weren't really accounted for in the CBA. In particular, if skipping a test automatically bumps a player up to Stage 3 of the program, how does that apply to a person who is no longer a "player"? Browner was a non-player, and therefore not beholden to NFL rules, when his test 7 years ago was skipped, and therefore it seems that there is a compelling argument that he should still be considered in Stage 1 (and now subject to being placed in Stage 2) since that is where he was when he left the league for several years. If the league wants to be completely "by the book", then it has to agree that "the book" doesn't apply to non-players, which is what Browner was.

My question is, once he returned, was he actually informed that he is now in Stage 3? That seems to be the crux of the issue, and if he was not informed of this then I think his suspension needs to be adjusted accordingly. If it isn't, then I truly hope he sues the crap out of the NFL. I'm sick of Goodell anyways, and it would warm my heart to see him get whipped in what I'm sure would be a very public case.

By the way, I still think he screwed up and there should be consequences, but not unfair ones.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I completely understand the outrage and don't understand people who say it's no big deal. As a Seahawk fan I am a member of the Seahawk's family. Each Sunday I sweat, groan and spill beer when something good or bad happens. When someone in the family does something that hurts the family it hurts me. Browner and Thurmond turned their back on the Family. They are lucky we are not the mob. But since we're not they may get a second chance.

I'd like to hear the rest of Browner's story. The Examiner article says he doesn't know how the substance got in his body. While thin and unlikely, it is a possibility. Now I don't care that either of them smoked some weed. This is not a moral issue about weed itself. It's knowing what the rules were, knowing they would be tested and CHOOSING to smoke anyway. Now in Browner's case, if he was slipped a mickey? Ok, But if not? Fuggedhaboutit. I don't care how good they are, they can't be trusted. Buh bye.

SC