Center Austin Blythe signed

King Dog

Reaction score
Wow. 1M with the Chiefs, doesn't even play and we dish out 4M. This and the Dissly deal are kind of head scratchers.

PNW

Reaction score
I have lost all faith in the front office, there’s no other explanation other than they’re all delusional. They must be on that finest quality wacky tabaccy

Jville

Reaction score
I found the Seahawks staff explanations for signing Blythe and Dissly understandable. It certainly benefits no one for anyone to go over those points again with uninterested parties.

The diversion of yet another lineman thread saddens me. It seems like far too many intended discussions about lineman are diverted into attacks on player, coach or staff. It's as if there is an ever present dark cloud of negativity that hangs over seahawks.net

PNW

Reaction score
I found the Seahawks staff explanations for signing Blythe and Dissly understandable. It certainly benefits no one for anyone to go over those points again with uninterested parties.

The diversion of yet another lineman thread saddens me. It seems like far too many intended discussions about lineman are diverted into attacks on player, coach or staff. It's as if there is an ever present dark cloud of negativity that hangs over seahawks.net

Maybe if the front office stopped doing outrageous trades like grossly overpaying for JA, overpaying for free agent backups like Austin Blythe or resigning Will Dissly to the 15th highest Tight End salary when he’s not even close to commanding that type of pay there wouldn’t be a dark cloud of negativity, just a thought

Frozenropers1

Reaction score
Blythe knows what Waldron and Dickerson want their line to do. He’ll be the general on the O-Line. Given the Chiefs totally remade their O-Line in 2021, part of which was drafting Humpfry in the 2nd round…….I’m not going to knock Blythe too much for his time limited time in KC. They drafted Humpfry and as long as Humpfry developed quickly he was going to be the guy.

Jville

Reaction score
Maybe if the front office stopped doing outrageous trades like grossly overpaying for JA, overpaying for free agent backups like Austin Blythe or resigning Will Dissly to the 15th highest Tight End salary when he’s not even close to commanding that type of pay there wouldn’t be a dark cloud of negativity, just a thought
Silly me. I thought message boards were a place to come for information.

Did you bypass the posted links and explanations of the Dissly contract?

How much did Autin Blythe take home in his final year (2020) as a LA Ram under line coach Andy Dickerson?

And, what kind of success did Andy's line in LA have with Austin at center?

Oh' the agony of having to listen to the Seahawk coaching and office staff or read informative coverage.

Laziness ..... maybe it's just plain old forum laziness that derails and defaults to the same old negative uninformed narratives.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Blythe lost his job to an upgrade in LA, then lost his job to an upgrade in KC. We play 3 games against those two teams this year. Blythe's competition here was Pocic, now Pocic is gone. That leaves me hoping Blythe finds some magic that makes him better than he has ever been, or we draft a killer center prospect.

massari

Reaction score
The Browns signed Pocic for $1M.....

Things rarely ever make sense with PC/JS in recent years

flv2

Reaction score
Austin Blythe started 16 games at center in 2020.
Austin Blythe started 15 games at right guard in 2019.
Austin Blythe started 16 games at right guard in 2018.

Link >>> https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlytAu00.htm
FYI the source material is incorrect. Blythe started the 2019 at RG but switched to C to fill the gap created by an injury to starting C Brian Allen, which happened before mid-season. 8-10 of the 2019 starts were at C.

Scout

Reaction score
Blythe is a very good signing as several other teams were eyeing him as a starter.

Jville

Reaction score

xray

Reaction score
Another season coming and the Hawks are trying to cobble together an OL off the streets . Maybe something will turn up in the draft .

nutluck

Reaction score
Having seen him with the Rams, he is a average to slightly below average C but can also play OG. I was hoping the Rams could swing keeping him before he left as a top notch backup, but I get the guy wants to start, I think he is in the 15-20 range for starters at C. I think he will be better than Pocic.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The one thing the Seahawks were lacking at center (post Unger trade) is someone with top notch football IQ who can make the proper line calls. They had that with Max Unger. It's a main reason why the OL functioned much better while he was here than after they traded Unger. IMO, that is arguably was the worst trade JS/PC made. They still haven't found an adequate replacement for Unger.

Blythe sound like he may be a poorer man's version of Unger. Unger wasn't the biggest or strongest center but what he lacked in strength, he more than made up for it with smarts and technique. Blythe seemss like he is in the same mold. Hopefully he is. That would be an upgrade over what they had since 2015 season.

Austin Blythe film review - https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021...kes-up-for-lack-of-size-with-iq-and-technique

flv2

Reaction score
Blythe was a very good player in 2018, (prior to shoulder injuries). He was very smart and he was tenacious. His play dipped significantly in 2019 but he was still at a decent starting quality. From what I remember the Rams offered him a 1 year extension at $4.6M as a bridge contract. His play dipped further in 2020 and consequently he only received back-up offers from both the Rams and the Chiefs. Maybe he's fully healed so he can come back and be ranked 24 out of 32 at any of the 3 interior O-Line positions. Worst case is he should be the #6 OL who is 1st off the bench if someone gets hurt. The 1st problem is that he will always be the physical weak link and when the O-Line has to match 5-on-5 the QB will often have to roll away from him. The 2nd problem is he may now be wearing down and I wouldn't bet on him lasting 17 games. Good depth player to have on the roster, but not a $4M starter.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
The one thing the Seahawks were lacking at center (post Unger trade) is someone with top notch football IQ who can make the proper line calls. They had that with Max Unger. It's a main reason why the OL functioned much better while he was here than after they traded Unger. IMO, that is arguably was the worst trade JS/PC made. They still haven't found an adequate replacement for Unger.

Blythe sound like he may be a poorer man's version of Unger. Unger wasn't the biggest or strongest center but what he lacked in strength, he more than made up for it with smarts and technique. Blythe seemss like he is in the same mold. Hopefully he is. That would be an upgrade over what they had since 2015 season.

Austin Blythe film review - https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021...kes-up-for-lack-of-size-with-iq-and-technique
Well, I hope Blythe performs well. He can't be worse than what we've been rolling out there lately, can he?

Unger was a big dude @ 6'5" and 309 at the combine. Not great strength, but great agility for his size.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-04 8.00.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-04 8.00.54 AM.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2022-04-04 8.00.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-04 8.00.13 AM.png
    133 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
I saw a lot of the same complaints about bringing in Lawyer Malloy and how much we paid him. He only helped train Thomas and Chancellor.

Jville

Reaction score
Austin Blythe is a different kind of center than what we saw last year ..............

Brian Allen, the starting center for the LA Rams, strikes me as being similar to Austin Blythe. Size and measurable attributes coming out of college were similar. Although, Austin generated a little extra quickness in his 3-cone and shuttle times. Both have wrestling backgrounds. Very similar centers in what should be increasingly similar offenses.

With regards to costs ..............
Brian Allen (25 starts) has 6 mil guaranteed with a probable pay out of 5 mil this year.
Austin Blythe (49 starts) has 2.5 mil in guarantees with a probable pay out of 4 mil this year.
So ...... the Rams, 49ers and Cardinals are all scheduled to pay more for starting centers.
Austin Blythe, with the experience of 6 accrued seasons, currently ranks 18th in OTC contract rankings.

Last edited:

Latest posts