Chip Kelly about run of Tackles in 2nd/3d .......

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this but I thought this was a good place. Feel free to move it if you think it belongs elsewhere.

This is for those who think we reached with pick 64 or should have traded back because the player would have still been there .....

In his presser yesterday JS made a comment about taking Justin Britt because he wanted to get one of the top tackles and he knew a run of them was about to come. He noted that the drop off was huge after these top guys as well.

Now this

The Eagles were hoping to land at least one offensive lineman in the draft, but according to Roseman (Twitter link), the run in the third round was like nothing he’d ever seen. The Eagles GM referred to missing out on offensive linemen as a “dagger in the heart,” per Tim McManus of PhillyMag.com (Twitter link).

Also looks the Cowboys were willing to move extra picks to get one

Speaking of that third-round run on linemen, it sounds like it affected the Cowboys too. Executive VP Stephen Jones said the club was close to trading back up into the third round to draft a lineman, but Dallas’ target came off the board a few picks earlier than expected. Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the details and quotes from Jones, who said the trade would’ve seen the Cowboys give up a 2015 pick.

A dagger in the heart.

Damn. How good is Schneider!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah Schneider nailed that one. He knew they needed to take the top tackle on their board because no way was a guy of the same caliber going to fall all the way to them in the 4th.

Smart of them to see that a lot of teams were looking at tackles and time their move perfectly.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Pete Carroll and John Schneider are absolute wizards in the draft. They dropped back three times in this draft, and still nailed the two guys they were targeting after those trades. And not only did they still get the guys they had originally targeted before the trades, they did it right before they would have been taken by someone else.

Say what you want about who they pick, but there's not a damn thing you can say about how they pick them. Sheer genius.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
"But, but, but Britt woulda been available MUCH later!"

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
My adopt a rookie the boy has ATTITUDE! You guys will love him. Very good run blocker and nimble has a bit of issues pass blocking. But he clowned Clowney straight up.:)

Likely either good for RT or LG.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":4d6lcuok said:

Hehe! I let myself get a little prickly by all of the 'coulda had him way later' obviously uninformed comments. In other words "he wasn't hyped and I don't know about him, so he shoulda went later."

Heck, I'm not a draftnik, but a least I took the time to study up on the guys we picked that I didn't know much about. The boy is a beast! I love our first day picks. Yeah, totally 'underwhelmed' :stirthepot: :mrgreen:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
imo its more like JS rolled the dice by not going up to get a rated guy. Some of them were still there but he chose to roll the dice again moving back and adding picks. This time the marquee names were gone so the staff just made the best of it. Any way this is just the draft.. We will see how these picks actually work out much later.
IMO this off season is a success only if when game time rolls around we are able to put five guys out there in front of Russ who can keep hip up right and in the pocket long enough to progress.
If the game plan is still run Russ run then fail.

and how are we going to keep the rams from squashing Russel?

brettb3

Reaction score
brimsalabim":5ubk4w5p said:
imo its more like JS rolled the dice by not going up to get a rated guy. Some of them were still there but he chose to roll the dice again moving back and adding picks. This time the marquee names were gone so the staff just made the best of it. Any way this is just the draft.. We will see how these picks actually work out much later.
IMO this off season is a success only if when game time rolls around we are able to put five guys out there in front of Russ who can keep hip up right and in the pocket long enough to progress.
If the game plan is still run Russ run then fail.

and how are we going to keep the rams from squashing Russel?
By running the ball. And Schneider knew exactly what he was doing.

sutz

Reaction score
The short and sweet of it: We started the mid-round run on tackles instead of waiting and watching it happen from the sideline.

From some of the comments, we may not have gotten "our guy" but it sounds like we got players that were highly ranked on our board, which is what matters, not what the mediots say. IIRC, JS was quoted at least once saying that there were two guys on the board, closely ranked, when they traded back, and were satisfied if they got the extra pick from the trade and one of the guys was still there when they picked. IAE he has ice water in his veins.

;)

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2mbrvsph said:

Add your "But, but, but didn't we just win a super bowl"? to that, and it just may appear you are actually contributing to the conversation. :pukeface:

Hawks46

Reaction score
This is one of my problems with post draft evaluations of player grades and where they were drafted.

In our case, we got a guy that "should've" been available in the 4th round, per his grade. Instead, we draft him at the end of the 2nd round, right before a tremendous run on OLmen in the 3rd round. So we picked a player too high with our 2nd round pick.....which has more value because we can pick players BEFORE other teams can use their 3rd round to pick them. So, essentially, we got our value out of the pick

What bothers me about these draftniks is that they grade a player pre draft, then if he's picked bofore that grade, the team gets poor value. They don't pay attention to runs in the draft, position, team trades, or any other environmental influences. I heard some of them say a couple of CBs were overdrafted even though they also mentioned there was just a huge run on CBs.

It's actually a contradiction: we'd get "better value" if we didn't draft Britt and let someone else grab him in the 3rd, thus losing out on the player altogether, and drafting a much lower level of player with our next pick, but one that would match up with their draft grades. I find it patently absurd.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkWow":13h7mc94 said:
Hawkfan77":13h7mc94 said:

Add your "But, but, but didn't we just win a super bowl"? to that, and it just may appear you are actually contributing to the conversation. :pukeface:
Thanks for your contribution! :th2thumbs: