Clint Hurtt and the press box

toffee

Reaction score
Clint Hurtt's coaching improved since he moved himself to call plays from press/coach's box? He said that he called the games last season from the sideline during his first year as DC after replacing Ken Norton Jr. He called three preseason games from the press box and said he will stay there. May be the bird's eye view helped? Or just that being away from Pete helped :)

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
It's not the "press box." It's the coach's box. ;)

JPatera76

Reaction score
Clint Hurtt's coaching improved since he moved himself to call plays from media press box? He said that he called the games last season from the sideline during his first year as DC after replacing Ken Norton Jr. He called three preseason games from the press box and said he will stay there. May be the bird's eye view helped? Or just that being away from Pete helped :)

Probably an even mix of both tbh. And he's surrounded by other staff who might see something hurrt doesnt to assist with the calls unimpeded

sutz

Reaction score
It's really kind of a personal/team thing. Some coach from the field, some from the coach's box. From the box, he gets a better view of the field, but can't have the personal contact with the players in-game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Clint Hurtt's coaching improved since he moved himself to call plays from media press box? He said that he called the games last season from the sideline during his first year as DC after replacing Ken Norton Jr. He called three preseason games from the press box and said he will stay there. May be the bird's eye view helped? Or just that being away from Pete helped :)

Too premature for such statements. Aside from one game against the leagues worst O-line, our defensive play calls have been at times puzzling.

The last time we had an article about a coach moving up to the coaching box we had a huge regression (Schottenheimer)

JPatera76

Reaction score
Too premature for such statements. Aside from one game against the leagues worst O-line, our defensive play calls have been at times puzzling.

The last time we had an article about a coach moving up to the coaching box we had a huge regression (Schottenheimer)
And per usual your on point with the Spin part of the name lol sheesh

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Everyone processes information differently. People have varying degrees of comprehending information as it happens around them. I don’t have any clue to the reality of how Clint Hurtt processes information but perhaps his cerebral thought process works better in a calmer environment. Maybe he can focus on his job better without all the chaos and energy and busyness that is ever present on the sidelines. Put him in his best position to succeed.
Whatever they’re doing, it’s starting to show signs of something good. Every year the first quarter of the season is treated much like a preseason game with tinkering and playing around with the troops to see the best mix. The difference this year over the last bunch is that now we might have some real horses.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to put my conspiracy hat on for a second. Because I can.

But do you think the visitors coaching staff is ever paranoid that the coaches' box might be bugged? Or if their headsets might be being listened to? I wonder if they like check for those type of things. Either in the NFL or DIV 1?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I like Hurtt better up there. And I really like the Coach Hurtt cam. His range of emotions is inspiring and I've developed a new level of appreciation of him.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm going to put my conspiracy hat on for a second. Because I can.

But do you think the visitors coaching staff is ever paranoid that the coaches' box might be bugged? Or if their headsets might be being listened to? I wonder if they like check for those type of things. Either in the NFL or DIV 1?

View attachment 60991
Only in New England.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
And per usual your on point with the Spin part of the name lol sheesh
Is it spin to point out that he has not necessarily done a great job this year? Before this game we were giving up 30 points per game, playing our DBs miles off the receivers.