Collier the savior?

keasley45

Reaction score
The title is intentionally dramatic, but I'm wondering if the reason Collier is still on the roster is because they know how weak they are against the run off the edge. I admittedly have no idea how Collier fits in our scheme, but I have to think that seeing Taylor get blown up over and over again in the run game and failing to set the edge might have something to do with why a big bodied, run stuffing end is still on the roster.

What other option do they have ?

We can't go the whole season looking the way we did last night against the rush. 49ers are no joke running the ball. Trey might not have to throw a pass the whole game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my opinion we looked far worse against the rush than we were. Our successful defensive game plan was to play two high and keep Russ from beating us with explosive plays. When they needed to stiffen up in the red zone and at the end of the game they did so dramatically. The second red zone fumble was caused by very strong defensive front play with multiple defenders exploding into the backfield and making early contact with the RB before he was expecting it.

We'll have a much different test next week against SF where we know they are going to be looking to run the ball first and foremost.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
terrible against the rush and even worse on the edge contain. Dreadful.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
The second red zone fumble was caused by very strong defensive front play with multiple defenders exploding into the backfield and making early contact with the RB before he was expecting it.

It was actually a direct result of the crowd noise. Pass play was called, Russ audibled into a run play. Glasgow couldn't hear the audible, so set to pass block instead of run block. His pass blocking set dropped him right into the RBs path.

Granted the d-line played that well, but there were some other factors involved.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If I was to pick a player I was disappointed in the most last night it'd be Darrell Taylor.

This D-line is already frighteningly thin at pass rush and D-End. For them to muster up any pressure and edge setting they're going to have to have Taylor play much better than he did last night going forward.

Luckily Nwosu balled out, but you can't count on him without help.

Collier? Lol. Dude's a bust, and will never be more than a deep rotation guy that gets healthy scratched for half the games.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
If I was to pick a player I was disappointed in the most last night it'd be Darrell Taylor.

This D-line is already frighteningly thin at pass rush and D-End. For them to muster up any pressure and edge setting they're going to have to have Taylor play much better than he did last night going forward.

Collier? Lol. Dude's a bust, and will never be more than a deep rotation guy that gets healthy scratched for half the games.

Taylor was getting in the back field consistently, Russ was just going a great job getting the ball out early on those check downs. Denver also called up a ton of RB swings/screens to mitigate the rush.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
In my opinion we looked far worse against the rush than we were. Our successful defensive game plan was to play two high and keep Russ from beating us with explosive plays. When they needed to stiffen up in the red zone and at the end of the game they did so dramatically. The second red zone fumble was caused by very strong defensive front play with multiple defenders exploding into the backfield and making early contact with the RB before he was expecting it.

We'll have a much different test next week against SF where we know they are going to be looking to run the ball first and foremost.
I dont know, I think it was pretty bad. If we can't stop the run without dropping a guy, lord help us. Taylor was fearing pushed around like a blocking dummy. Either that, or he was going under block to the inside and losing contain.

We did get some good stops, but for the majority of the game, Denver ran at will.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score

If he was that busted, I don't think he'd be on the 53. They have to see some need for him. He's known as a run stuffing DE. What we don't have in abundance now is a run stuffing end.

I guess we will see.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Taylor was getting in the back field consistently, Russ was just going a great job getting the ball out early on those check downs. Denver also called up a ton of RB swings/screens to mitigate the rush.

0 sacks
0 combined tackles
0 solo tackles
0 assists

Sorry man, bad game for Darrell. Just running around playing with lots of energy doesn't cut it at D-end, especially on a team that DESPERATELY needs you to be their elite edge rusher.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Taylor weas also blatanly held on a few and he was double teamed ALOT

HawkStrong

Reaction score
0 sacks
0 combined tackles
0 solo tackles
0 assists

Sorry man, bad game for Darrell. Just running around playing with lots of energy doesn't cut it at D-end, especially on a team that DESPERATELY needs you to be their elite edge rusher.

I didn't disagree. Statistically he didn't show up. Watching the game live in person, and once on TV replay, Taylor was moments away from having a much better game. Denver's plan of attack took Taylor out of the game... just look at the heat map for Russell's attempts/completions.
Taylor needs to step up, but there are reasons to have hope.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I didn't disagree. Statistically he didn't show up. Watching the game live in person, and once on TV replay, Taylor was moments away from having a much better game. Denver's plan of attack took Taylor out of the game... just look at the heat map for Russell's attempts/completions.

For sure, I didn't mean to sounds like I want Taylor benched.

My point is I have no idea why there's a new thread about the gigantic disappointment after thought often healthy scratched nothingburger like Collier, when the real troubling D-lineman from last night was Taylor.

Of which MUCH is expected, and needed.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
For sure, I didn't mean to sounds like I want Taylor benched.

My point is I have no idea why there's a new thread about the gigantic disappointment after thought often healthy scratched nothingburger like Collier, when the real troubling D-lineman from last night was Taylor.

Of which MUCH is expected, and needed.

Yes, when Taylor is calling double digit sacks for himself, definitely need to see more productive snaps. A lot of games left to be played though.

toffee

Reaction score
My thing about Taylor, he seems to have lots of moment away or inch away..

HawkStrong

Reaction score
My thing about Taylor, he seems to have lots of moment away or inch away..

Would rather that than he is never around the QB. Taylor is still young without a ton of pass rushing help on the other side. With a little bit of pressure coming from the opposite end, Taylor could turn those close calls into sacks.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The title is intentionally dramatic, but I'm wondering if the reason Collier is still on the roster is because they know how weak they are against the run off the edge. I admittedly have no idea how Collier fits in our scheme, but I have to think that seeing Taylor get blown up over and over again in the run game and failing to set the edge might have something to do with why a big bodied, run stuffing end is still on the roster.

What other option do they have ?

We can't go the whole season looking the way we did last night against the rush. 49ers are no joke running the ball. Trey might not have to throw a pass the whole game.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Collier and Taylor don't even play the same positions. In the new scheme, Taylor is slotted as a OLB while Collier is a DE, which in 3-4 the DE acts more like a 3 tech DT in the 4-3 system. Two different roles and responsibilities between these two players.

Collier is only on the roster right now due to his draft position.

Latest posts