Crackin' skulls and crushin' spirits

NYCoug

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the super lengthy read. Was an amazing experience and I didn't want to leave anything out. I will not be offended at all if it's TLDR material, just don't be terrible and post it here. Leif, Vijay, Jordan, Dom, Todd, Matt, Bart, and everyone I didn't mention by name, it really was a pleasure meeting you all. It was the perfect pre-funk for such an incredible game.

Bfspsychobabbler

Was it all real? I still don't know. After a whirlwind of a weekend in Charlotte for the season opener, I returned home where it was right back to work. Before I could attempt to be a part of the Guinness World Record attempt, I'd have to work every day straight through Saturday night, before flying out to Seattle early Sunday morning. In the words of Pete Carroll, earn everything. Knowing that the path in front of me was going to be littered with roadblocks would have probably deterred me or brought me down back in the day, now, it's part of the fun. That desire to earn everything was instilled in me by a football team and it's coach. Some (non-Seahawks fans) might find that pathetic, I find it poetic and absolutely amazing that a football team could change so many peoples lives for the better.

So when I chugged that last bit of Guinness in my mug and stepped into the cab my best friend hailed for me at around 4:30 on technically Sunday morning, I knew the time had finally come. All the hype, all the preparation, all the bad blood was finally going to mean something. I have to admit, I wasn't completely 100% confident about this matchup during the week buildup or while I was traveling. It's pretty much a 9 hour trip for me from New York City to Seattle. I look for the best flight deals possible, obviously, so most of the time I'm catching a connection to Seattle in Charlotte. I'm not fond of flying, so it's a pretty boring and miserable time for me. Even if I've got magazines to read or something to watch, I'm just not a big fan. Plus, I always completely forget that I'm an adult and I'm allowed to drink on an aircraft now.

One thing I did do a lot of while being suspended in the sky, was think. I did a whole lot of thinking. About a whole bunch of things but mainly the 'Hawks/Niners game that was about to go down later that day. You start thinking of all the possibilities, both good and bad, and the outcome that seems most probable to your mind. For some reason, I couldn't get passed the fact of how awful Colin Kaepernick handled the CLink in his last visit. The rain, coupled with the ferocious play of the Seahawks defense, helped make it a miserable night for young Colin. This would be different, however, or so the national media would have you believe.

We finally touched down in Sea-Tac at around noon local time and was quickly greeted by the sounds of football. TV's were on in the terminals and as I walked out of the gate I was greeted by someone on the Green Bay Packers scoring a touchdown and leaping into the stands at Lambeau. The day's early games were winding down and I had missed mostly all of them, save for this one moment from the Packers game, and I could hardly care at all. That's not entirely true though, since I did check my phone to make sure that the Rams lost to the Falcons. Everything else though? Of no importance to me at the time.

The weather was absolutely perfect. It had that fog in the air and that Seattle feel to it. It just looked like what people might think of as the typical Seattle day. First up on the agenda was a trip on the Light Rail to the International District to meet up with a legend. I meet this legend, Leif, in a legendary place that I had never been to before. King Street Bar and Oven is a staple in Seahawks gameday culture and Leif is one of the Seahawks biggest fans. For those that think that my beard is getting long, you haven't the faintest clue of what a real beard looks like until you see this one. It is most definitely a "championship beard."

He hands me a Rainier (thanks again Leif!) and ironically enough we're standing by a TV that has the Broncos/Giants game on. The Broncos fumble inside the 5 yard line and I start to think that maybe the Giants might pull it off? Boy, was I ever wrong about that. Eli Manning is definitely trying out for the "reckless gunslinger" role now that we're ALMOST 100% sure that we've rid ourselves of Brett Favre.

In the short time that we were at King Street, I was able to meet Chuck McGowan (pictured above on the left) as well as Neil AKA Kiltman. This was pretty damn cool because I always check out Chuck's 12th Fan View and have been for a few years now. It's been a great way to try and experience the Seahawks home games despite being thousands of miles away. Kiltman, on the other hand, was one of the "crazy fans" that I would see on TV whenever the 'Hawks were playing at home. I saw people like Neil and thought to myself, it must be pretty damn cool to be one of those people. I don't know if I so much aspired to ever be a Seahawks fan of that level, probably subconsciously somewhere, but I always knew that I respected the hell out of them.

And just like that, me and my bearded new amigo took off for a gathering of .Netters at Temple Billiards. Seahawks.Net has always been one of the most important keys to me being such a diehard fan of the team. For about 10 years now, I've always been able to find the quickest Seahawks news, most intelligent discussion on the team, as well as some damn hilarious stuff being said pretty much all the time. I remember seeing pictures of Temple Billiards meetups in the past and thinking, "one day I'll be there." And finally, I was. And you couldn't ask for a nicer, more generous bunch of great people. The game ended up being great, but finally getting to meet everyone was just as awesome. We'll be throwing it down again in Houston for the Texans game, and I gotta be honest, that's been one of my favorite games on the schedule since it came out. I've never been to Texas before, but I've heard some nice things about Houston. It sounds like the perfect place to invade in Blue and Green!

Soon, it would be time to head to the stadium for the night's festivities and the night's real main event. Random guys compulsively check their watches, announcing the time to anyone that would listen. The day of reckoning was now truly upon us. The moment we had all been waiting for had come. A chance to prove to the NFL that the NFC's most viable contender resides in the Pacific Northwest, as well as a chance to prove to the WORLD that the world's loudest fans reside there as well. As I walk down Occidental Avenue towards CenturyLink Field, the senses are overwhelmed. The smell of weed and cigarettes clash with visuals of 49ers fans walking proudly with a smug look on their face and a glimmer of hope still left in their eyes. Meanwhile, the constant barrage of "GO Seahawks" and "GO Hawks!!!" from 12's everywhere is all you hear. You can tell from the get-go that this group of people is ready to make history.

The collective mass continues forward, stopping only for the security search immediately before entrance. I can't get the change out of my back pocket and it keeps setting off the metal detectors. For a brief moment in time, I'm "that guy." You know the one, the one who's ruining everything else for everyone. Even the security guard looks pissed that I'm slowing things down for him. I finally get the change out, pull out my ticket that I only purchased the night prior (somehow, I found 1 seat for $200. That's a miracle for anyone who was following ticket prices for this game all off-season like I was.) It's almost time for the 12th Man flag to be raised and after tons of speculation, it's Shaun Alexander who gets the call.

Like I told .Net's creator, Todd, I'd love it to be Alexander because of everything he did for the 'Hawks on the field, but I was also a little worried because I know his perception around the fanbase as a whole isn't always a great one. I wasn't the biggest fan of his running style, in fact I used to shamefully call him 'Alexdancer' back in the day (sorry Shaun) and I even went as far as to say his career would be done once he lost Hutch and Walt, but now that I've been able to sit back and reflect upon his career and time with the team I've got to say that I have nothing but respect for the man. Still, there were more than a few boos coming from the fans around me in Section 334.

This also now marks the second week in a row where I haven't paid attention to the Coin Toss or the announcement from the refs. Both times now I've missed the Seahawks deferring. I'm a big fan of it and I hope they keep with it throughout the season. It appears the defense has now hit that level where they can be trusted on almost every single drive, so allowing them to set the tone for the game while also giving the offense the ball to start things in the second half is as win-win as it gets. What a nightmare for the opposition. You've gotta love it!

Another thing I questioned all week was whether or not it was actually possible to beat the existing Guinness World Record for the loudest crowd, especially without any prompts or anything like that from the team. I was worried that if we didn't break the record, some part of that feeling of invincibility at the CLink would be gone. Well, the 12th Man brought their A+++ games and made my look like a little child for worrying at all. The second the 49ers ran onto the field for their first play of the night on offense, the place went ballistic. Every single person around me (save for the three people sitting directly to my left) brought the noise on that opening drive and helped set the tone for what the night would look like for our "friends" from the Bay.

Still, the Seahawks offense looked sluggish. The normally heroic Russell Wilson appeared mortal, the OLine struggled to provide time or space for much of anything, and we appeared to be headed for a slugfest of the 12-9 variety. I was perfectly okay with that and having seen the team's performance in Carolina, I wouldn't have really blinked an eye. As long as they come out with a W I'd be good. The next thing I know, Jon "Better than Brendan" Ryan is swarmed by 4 or 5 49ers as he tries to get off a punt and the thing gets blocked. It never stood a shot really. People start mentioning about a fake whistle but I didn't really hear it, although I did hear one later in the game and thought about what type of an idiot you have to be to a) do that during a game and b) to think that it's actually funny. So with the 49ers taking over in Seattle territory, this wasn't looking like the start most Seattle fans envisioned. The drive, however, would not finish the way 49ers fans would want it to either, with Colin Kaepernick trying to fire a fastball into a sea of 'Hawks defenders. Walter Thurmond III was there to get a piece of the ball and it went flying into the air and into the waiting arms of Earl Thomas III. Lovely teamwork from the third descendants on that one.

Offensively, the Seahawks were still challenged. Russell Wilson seemed a bit off for sure and the running game was hit or miss, although Marshawn was gashing San Fran for a nice gain hear and there. Consistency still alluded the unit however, and it appeared to be another long day at the office for Darrell Bevell and the boys. That is until the skies opened up, the rain began to fall, and the display in the air that Seahawks fans hoped to see this night came from the lightning storm above, not Russell Wilson's right arm. With the refs calling the game to a hault I realized that I'd never been to a football game that was delayed due to weather before. While I definitely wanted to watch the game, this added to the surreal experience. All you could do was sit and wait, or spend some $ on some ridiculously overpriced beer or food.

As the announcement came that it was getting closer to the restart of the game, Cris Collinsworth makes some slobbish comment about how this delay, just like the one at the Super Bowl last year, works to the 49ers advantage because crowd's don't bounce back well from delays, or something along those lines. The entire crowd boos in his general direction as if to state "you have no idea what you're talking about. Do you?" Soon, the players were back on the field and finishing warmups and it was time to pick up where we left off in this defensive struggle for supremacy in the NFC West.

Only the 49ers didn't get the memo apparently. To steal a line from the Chappelle Show, what ensued over the next 3 hours or so was one of the most spectacular ass-whoopings ever witnessed in the Pacific Northwest. The wave of noise not only gave me the most awesome headache of my life, but it completely sabotaged any chance the 49ers would have of making a game out of this one. The Seahawks weren't at their sharpest, but how scary is that for the rest of the NFL? These guys didn't even bring their A game and they still beat one of the best teams in the league by 26. Not only that, but they absolutely destroyed every spirit and every soul of every fan, player, coach, employee, resident of San Francisco, etc. It's gotten so bad that Whiners fans are resorting to wanting the NFL to step in and make the Seahawks and their noise-junkie fans go away. That's music to my ears and makes me even prouder to have been there and to be able to be a part of the 12th Man.

And if there was ever any doubt, the Guinness record was smashed just like the hopes and dreams of the Red and Gold. The loudest crowd I've ever heard in my life now has the distinction of saying that they are the loudest crowd of all-time and it really is well deserved. Literally every time the 49ers had the ball, on every play (even punts and FG attempts), the place was a madhouse. There was no time to think and with each incredible play the place got louder and louder. Colin Kaepernick never stood a chance.

As the clock struck zero and yet another game was history and added to the record books, this one had an extra special feel to it. All the hard work had paid off and an extremely young and talented squad and it's fans had proven to the world that they are the real deal and should no longer be doubted, even though eventually they probably will. Blue Thunder played an outstanding set outside of the CLink after the win and everyone was in full on party mode. Except for the contingency from San Francisco of course. I tried to offer my sympathies to one grief-stricken Niners fan who refused to offer the Seahawks credit and instead said that "his uncle was right about Vegas influencing games. Colin Kaepernick was throwing balls at people's feet and over their heads. That just doesn't happen." It does buddy, it does. Only in Seattle though. As an honorary member of this city, welcome, and have a safe and rather sad trip home.

The glimmer of hope and the smug look on their faces was entirely gone. Their players skulls cracked and their spirits crushed. I would have loved to stick around for the festivities after the game, but with my flight leaving in the morning I decided simply to crash at Sea-Tac. I was shot from all the cheering, drinking, working, and traveling. It wasn't over, not by a longshot, as my flight home would get cancelled, only for me to barely make it (they were literally closing the doors) to my re-booked flight to Philadelphia, then on to an express plane from Philly to Newark, capped off with a ride on the NJ Transit from Newark to Penn Station and finally a ride from Penn Station to Brooklyn on the A train. I walked through my doors at 2AM on technically Tuesday morning, living proof of "earn everything."

It all seams like it was just a dream sequence. Maybe that's because amazing things like this don't always happen to this team and it's fans. However, those times are changing and have been for the past few years. With Pete Carroll and John Schneider, this feeling is the new norm. My friends were amazed by how little time I actually spent in Seattle and how much time I spent travelling to get there and back and asked me if it was worth it...

I wouldn't change it for the world. It was perfect.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
That is awesome man. Long but worth the read You are a true fan. I'd love to meet all of you guys one of these days. I guarantee though, my appearance may shock you all

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
-The Glove-":85xdjmbn said:
That is awesome man. Long but worth the read You are a true fan. I'd love to meet all of you guys one of these days. I guarantee though, my appearance may shock you all

Let's just hope that you do a better job of shocking everyone than the Shockmaster...

[youtube]0ik-aPygpSU[/youtube]

Thanks for taking the time to read guys, and for the kind words, it's much appreciated. .Net is truly one of the greatest places/things/whatever on earth, no doubt about it.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Triple post of awkwardness, lol. Might want to change up the words there, bud

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
My brother said his ears were still ringing on Wednesday. I'll be at the Saints game...I'm sure the crowd will be in full force again for that one!!

Russellmania3

Reaction score
Your Passion As a Hawks Fan shines Big and Bright , That is some real dedication to make the game.

Great Right up ! I didn't get to go to the game but I felt Like I did after reading this post. Thank You !

and.... Go Hawks !!!!!!!!!!!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Like the Seahawks, you are two weeks into a 5 month commitment. Get your rest when you can, bro-they say you can't store it up, but they don't define your reality...
Enjoy the Jags game and See you in Houston.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great write up as usual and it was fantastic meeting you! Great guy and great fan! Looking forward to seeing you next time!

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Awesome write Coug! I havent made the trip yet but this piece made me feel like it did!

Thanks! :th2thumbs:

godawg

Reaction score
Jack Kerouac look out. On the Road to the Super Bowl in NYCoug's backyard. Great post.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Am I having an acid flashback or is each of us bathed in a different color of light??

Psychobabbler is white. NYC is blue. And I am red?

Am I trippin?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Awesome, Coug! Like Chuck's vids, your stories take us there and let us share in the experience. Very cool. *fist bump*

bestfightstory":2gpelq7v said:
Psychobabbler is white.
Racist.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts