Cut Russ for Dwayne Haskins?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sports Illustrated: Could Haskins be Seahawks' backup plan in 2021?

The Seahawks have never had a backup quarterback that carries starter potential. On Monday, one such player was released in Haskins, who could be worth taking a flier on to learn from Russell Wilson and Brian Schottenheimer.

On the surface, Haskins has been nothing short of a bust as a first-round pick and has displayed immaturity in multiple instances, not a trait you necessarily hunt for in your quarterback room. But there are a few things we know about coach Pete Carroll that make this a potential fit. First, we know that the Seahawks love former first-round picks and former top recruits. Haskins was the 15th overall pick in 2019 and is a former four-star recruit.

Second, we know that Carroll truly believes that his culture can help any player get on the right track. The Seahawks track record on this belief has been hit and miss, but has produced such hits as Marshawn Lynch and Frank Clark.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... an-in-2021

toffee

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind picking up Rosen to sit behind Russ, but he is with the 9ers now.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Where's Nick Foles these days? That dude is the GOAT of all backups.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
With the amount of hits Russ takes I wouldn't be against picking up somebody fairly young with good upside to get mentored & then play if the need arose. He'd need to be the 3rd for awhile until he's deemed ready ahead of Geno.

I'm not sure given what we've seen with Haskins that he would be the guy, but I think we need somebody like that. Maybe somebody who had potential but also injury issues that needed time to fully heal. We'd also need to realize that we'd risk losing these potentially high upside guys after a few seasons & start all over again unless they were willing to stay on the off-chance Russ got hurt.