Dak Prescott wants +$45 mil per year, rejects $175 mil

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":39bxry83 said:
O-Line play has a big impact on ESPN's QBR from my research and study.

It's not really worth using as a metric. Passer Rating is flawed as well but at least we know the formula, so we can account for its flaws. With the rule changes making it hard to compare ratings between older QB's and new QB's especially. Marino, Montana, and Young in today's game would be something else.

Dak piled up his numbers last year against the Redskins and the Giants. And was something like 0-8 against winning teams.

He is a good QB that has gotten a little better each year, but he is not transcendent. So making him the highest paid player would not be wise.

The problem though is QBs like Derek Carr have been made the highest paid, so the way it has gone the last 10 years is the next merely good QB up for a new contract becomes the highest paid. So Dak is justified in his negotiation.

If I were the Cowboys, I would remove the franchise tag and let him out onto the open market. I don't see a team out there that would be willing to give him anywhere close to what he is looking for. It's why Cam still remains unsigned as well, as all 32 teams are already decided on their guy at QB for the 2020 season.

The Cowboys have all the leverage currently.

This is a very interesting negotiation as it could begin a new precedent that teams are going to start wising up when paying QBs that are not future HoFers. Like the the Flacco's and the Carr's.

Dak's best bet is to go the Kirk Cousins route. Play on the Franchise Tag, and continue to bet on himself.

I hope the Cowboys break the bank for him btw.
Agreed! Money post Fade!

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fade":19a1kfta said:
If I were the Cowboys, I would remove the franchise tag and let him out onto the open market. I don't see a team out there that would be willing to give him anywhere close to what he is looking for. It's why Cam still remains unsigned as well, as all 32 teams are already decided on their guy at QB for the 2020 season.

They really are essentially negotiating with themselves. I would tend to doubt the story because I can't see the 'Boys being dumb enough to offer that much. On the open market, there's no way he breaks 30.

Elemas

Reaction score
Pay the man Jerry! And we'll rejoice as you royally screw your team even more.

hawk45

Reaction score
From my work computer I can't get to YouTube, but google "Samuel Gold Dak" where he makes the argument that Dak is worth 35 mil. The vid is a bunch of Dak throwing from a pristine pocket to wide open receivers against the Giants and Redskins. Then, Gold goes on to discuss drops, and proceeds to show Dak rifling the ball a yard behind his receivers. Gold talks about how Dak excels at tight, on-time throws to his #1 read when they are wide open (when he's not throwing behind guys). Ummmm. And about how when Dak has to progress to read 2 and 3 he struggles. Congratulations Sam, you just described the same NFL QB skillset any journeyman possesses.

I've been on the fence about Gold; he's angling to be a Brett Kollman type, but this vid isn't going to help any quest to gain a larger following, and honestly makes me question everything else he's ever done.

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]KJGjyo5sroA[/youtube]

Gold is putting waaayy too much stock into the first 3 games when Dak was beating on tomato cans, with teams not having film on the new scheme and OC yet.

After that Dak leveled off tremendously.

Gold made a business decision. More people will click on the video by going against the grain. Or maybe he genuinely believes he's worth it despite having him ranked in his tier 3 grouping of QBs?

**Nevermind** He's a Redskin's fan. LOL :D He wants the Cowboys to crash and burn.

knownone

Reaction score
Dak is in that Alex Smith category of QBs that are good enough to get you a #1 seed when everything around them is perfect, but don't have the ability to win games consistently on their own. If I was Dallas, I'd rather have Dalton on a reasonable contract, then Dak on anything higher than $33M.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Here's some fun numbers:

On the full season, Dak's statline read:

388/596/4902/30/11/99.7, 8-8 record.

His line vs. just the Giants and Redskins:

96/130/1234/14/2/132.7, 4-0 record.

His line vs. everyone else:

292/466/3668/16/9/90.5, 4-8 record.

:sarcasm_on: Yeah, really top 10 material, there. :sarcasm_off:

Fade

Reaction score
Maulbert":1blv2ic1 said:
Here's some fun numbers:

On the full season, Dak's statline read:

388/596/4902/30/11/99.7, 8-8 record.

His line vs. just the Giants and Redskins:

96/130/1234/14/2/132.7, 4-0 record.

His line vs. everyone else:

292/466/3668/16/9/90.5, 4-8 record.

:sarcasm_on: Yeah, really top 10 material, there. :sarcasm_off:

Thanks for posting these numbers. It really rams home what I posted earlier.

Dak also has been placed into one the most optimal situations in football.

Great O-Line, Very good WRs, TEs, & RBs. I also thought Kellen Moore was impressive in his first year calling plays.

Andy Dalton was pretty good in Cincy before his O-Line went to crap and AJ Green & his TE started getting hurt. The Bengals failed him.

I don't know where Dalton is at after getting David Carr'd for several seasons, but he may be closer to Dak than some might think, now that he has a better supporting cast around him in Dallas.