Dan Quinn & Mike MacDonald Interviews

mistaowen

Reaction score
DQ not surprising but very happy to see Mike Macdonald is at the top of the list. Goal has to be beating Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan, right now this team is third in the division. His defense kicked the hell out of the 49ers.

Jac

Reaction score
Macdonald & Ben Johnson are the top 2 on my list. This is a good start. Hopefully we hear the name Johnson linked to them in the next couple of days as well.
It just doesn't feel like we have a realistic chance at Johnson. Rumor has him going to Washington with Adam Peters.

mistaowen

Reaction score
It just doesn't feel like we have a realistic chance at Johnson. Rumor has him going to Washington with Adam Peters.

Yeah Washington gets #2 pick with cap flexibility and some decent skill players. Seahawks WR room is better but he realistically doesn’t have much choice besides Geno right now unless they give up the next 2 drafts to move up.

Jac

Reaction score
Yeah Washington gets #2 pick with cap flexibility and some decent skill players. Seahawks WR room is better but he realistically doesn’t have much choice besides Geno right now unless they give up the next 2 drafts to move up.
Washington is a "no downside, all upside" destination. He'd get to start with a fresh GM on a team that has only known misery for decades. I don't think Johnson is in the mix for us at all.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm not too high on DQ, but a lot of people are saying he'd he able to put a great coaching staff together.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Macdonald & Ben Johnson are the top 2 on my list. This is a good start. Hopefully we hear the name Johnson linked to them in the next couple of days as well.
Same. MM would be refreshing - BJ too but he’s going to have lots of suitors. Then again Seattle is probably the most desirable spot to take over as of now. Jimmy longshanks will probably go to chargers.

JPatera76

Reaction score
im trying to figure out why so many people are so against DQ lol. Jfc please tell me its more then because of a SB that SHANAHAN was his oc for? lol
He's been on multiple teams and succeeded... built 3 different defense, from LOB to Atlanta to Dallas... all smash mouth defenses. Or is it this belief that we HAVVVVVVVEEEEE To have an Offense minded coach to succeed? Because I find that amusing as well. You need BALANCE to succeed.

Fade

Reaction score
DQ not surprising but very happy to see Mike Macdonald is at the top of the list. Goal has to be beating Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan, right now this team is third in the division. His defense kicked the hell out of the 49ers.
More importantly Mccy D did it with scheme.

He doesn't have superstar pass rushers like a Watt or a Bosa. He schemes it up, and confuses the opponent. Opposite of how Pete does it.

These are my top 2 defensive choices.
Though I'd favor going with an offensive guy.

Quinn is very miscast out here like he is Pete Carroll 2. He isn't.

He took over the 32nd ranked defense in Dallas when he got there. Turned them top 5 over night with 1 draft class. Not a bunch free agent signings or blockbuster trades. 1 draft class.

He plays a lot of man, masks his coverages, and stunts like there is no tomorrow. Quinn is man.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
One thing about DQ and how it's just the same thing as Pete on D. I think it was prior to this season but I did see or read something about Quinn's scheme and how it's not the same cover 3 scheme that he and Pete used and that he took to Atlanta. What I saw said that he's evolved his scheme from that

knownone

Reaction score
Quinn took over a Dallas defense in the top 10 in three of the past four seasons. They had a down year the year before he took over because of injuries. They were still loaded with talent.

Quinn is a good culture builder. He feels like the safe move.

Macdonald is who I would target. But that's a risky move on paper. He's 36 and doesn't have experience building a program. That is the biggest issue with the McVay-style-young hires. It is not scheme or relative genius. It's that many younger coaches are not ready to lead an organization. Scheme advantages don't last. Culture and infrastructure do.

So if I were JS, the question is, can Macdonald build a winning culture, or is he a product of Harbaugh's culture?

Latest posts