Dan Quinn & Mike MacDonald Interviews

Torc

Reaction score
I have to assume that Quinn and JS have had at least a *wink* *nod* conversation if there is interest. Maybe also if there is not interest. IF JS is interested in Quinn, a formal interview is more or less a formality anyway.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Something to remember, Jim Mora brought Dan Quinn into the organization, it wasn't Pete or John who initially hired him. They brought him back to Seattle after Gus Bradley left, but that may have been the obvious move at the time given his ties to the organization. I just dont know if we can assume there is this inherent loyalty between John & DQ.

chris98251

Reaction score
Does not have to be a in house visit to be inquiring and talking. Leiweke went to California to talk to Pete before officially announcing it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ruffling feathers eh. Well I read the same and am relieved. Even if it isn’t true. We don’t want reality. We want the blue pill.

I think some of you guys are confused with how this works. Unless said coordinator or coach is fired, teams have to ask permission in writing to other teams to schedule official visits for their head coach openings.

Those transactions are seen by all the media nerds to the very minute they're released.

Sure, maybe Schneider has had casual conversations with Quinn since Pete was let go. But IMO it's telling that Quinn has a bunch of official visits now scheduled and none of them are here.

If you don't think that? It's cool.

Jac

Reaction score
I think some of you guys are confused with how this works. Unless said coordinator or coach is fired, teams have to ask permission in writing to other teams to schedule official visits for their head coach openings.

Those transactions are seen by all the media nerds to the very minute they're released.

Sure, maybe Schneider has had casual conversations with Quinn since Pete was let go. But IMO it's telling that Quinn has a bunch of official visits now scheduled and none of them are here.

I do think that's significant. I don't know what it means. We just don't have any history to predict how JS is going to go about this (or if he's looking for a clean break from PC), but there's something there.

bileever

Reaction score
John Schneider will choose the next coach based on who he thinks is the best, without regard to loyalty or past connections. He knows that this next hire will determine his future. If the next coach doesn't work out, they will both be gone.

As for Dan Quinn, I wouldn't judge him on one game, but it is very worrisome that his defense gave up 42 points to the 49ers, 35 points to the Seahawks and 28 to the Cardinals. The only NFC West team his team was able to handle was the Rams, which they held to 20 points, but the Rams played that game without their starting RB and left tackle. (I mean, c'mon, the Seahawks held the 49ers and Cardinals to fewer points!!) They also gave up 31 points to the Bills.

The Cowboys were able to pad their defensive stats by playing 4 games against the Giants and the Commanders, the Patriots, the Panthers and the Jets this year. Quinn's defense did do a fairly good job against the Dolphins (22 points) and the Lions (19 points).

And even though it is just one game, for the Packers to put up 48 points yesterday in a playoff game is surely indicative of something.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John Schneider will choose the next coach based on who he thinks is the best, without regard to loyalty or past connections. He knows that this next hire will determine his future. If the next coach doesn't work out, they will both be gone.

As for Dan Quinn, I wouldn't judge him on one game, but it is very worrisome that his defense gave up 42 points to the 49ers, 35 points to the Seahawks and 28 to the Cardinals. The only NFC West team his team was able to handle was the Rams, which they held to 20 points, but the Rams played that game without their starting RB and left tackle. (I mean, c'mon, the Seahawks held the 49ers and Cardinals to fewer points!!) They also gave up 31 points to the Bills.

The Cowboys were able to pad their defensive stats by playing 4 games against the Giants and the Commanders, the Patriots, the Panthers and the Jets this year. Quinn's defense did do a fairly good job against the Dolphins (22 points) and the Lions (19 points).

And even though it is just one game, for the Packers to put up 48 points yesterday in a playoff game is surely indicative of something.
Great point in bold - Most never think about that part.

renofox

Reaction score
Great point in bold - Most never think about that part.
Sounds like a scheme and team that is designed to consistently win a bunch of games against bad teams, compete at a 50/50 level against mediocre (+) teams but not really compete against really good teams.

Win plenty of games but get ousted from the playoffs in the WC or Divisional round, in those years when things goes right and you make the playoffs.

I think I've see this somewhere else for the past 9 seasons? Not very entertaining.

Jac

Reaction score

In some sense, JS has seen this play out with Wilson. Was Wilson's success about Carroll...or is he a stud on his own? Whatever the truth, Wilson's legacy is now questionable. JS faces the same dilemma. He can't blow this or people will start saying the same thing (it was mostly Carroll). I'm not sure he can just play it "safe" and comfortable and go with DQ.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score

I was concurring with you in a facetious manner - but if you didn’t get it it is also cool

Raifers

Reaction score
I’m fine with Quinn as HC, but looking into what the ravens defense has done I’m more inclined to having MacDonald as the next HC. Not sure if it’s been stated, not only did they not give up a lot of points, but I think they also had one of the strongest sos (unlike the cowboys who had a much easier schedule)

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of the people that would have liked PC another year prefer DQ.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
The defense might be marginally improved under Quinn. But bringing him in doesn't raise the ceiling all that much. This team would still be a fringe playoff contender at best.

The talent in Dallas is significantly better. Yet his defense struggled against some of the better teams. Dallas struggled to stop the run, in games they lost. Which was their Achilles.

In Atlanta, things went downhill fast after the departure of Kyle Shanahan. He had a losing record without Shanahan as his OC.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
The more I think about it, it would be a mistake to hire Dan Queen.

Get back to your Packers roots, John.

Offensive HC, draft and develop QBs. This has to be the plan.

Raifers

Reaction score
The defense might be marginally improved under Quinn. But bringing him in doesn't raise the ceiling all that much. This team would still be a fringe playoff contender at best.

The talent in Dallas is significantly better. Yet his defense struggled against some of the better teams. Dallas struggled to stop the run, in games they lost. Which was their Achilles.

In Atlanta, things went downhill fast after the departure of Kyle Shanahan. He had a losing record without Shanahan as his OC.
I get it. Those are the facts. But to base what may happen again with him a 2nd go around is just not realistic. If that were the case coaches wouldn’t get a 2nd chance.

I also disagree that the ceiling of the defense wouldn’t be raised much. It definitely can’t get worse. But if it gets to league average? That is a significant improvement.

Raifers

Reaction score
It’s like saying BB sucked after Tom Brady left and therefore nobody should consider him. I personally would stay away from him but it seems like a lot of other fans are seriously considering him

OrangeGravy

Reaction score

Don't they only need permission if the interview is for a lateral move where the coaches current team can deny. They can't deny an interview for a promotion to HC, so no permission is needed. There may be hurtles with teams still playing though, but that doesn't apply to DQ

renofox

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners...ach interview,of all Divisional Playoff games.

"Prohibit clubs from conducting in-person Head Coach interviews with candidates who are employed by other NFL clubs until after the conclusion of all Divisional Playoff games. Prior to the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games, hiring clubs are permitted to conduct in-person Head Coach interviews with candidates who are employed by the hiring club or who are not employed in the NFL."
During the 2023 hiring cycle, no-in person interviews were permitted until after the Super Wild Card Weekend. So, the process will effectively be pushed back by a week for the 2024 cycle.

That's regarding in-person interviews. You can do Zoom interviews with permission, but no in-person til after Divisionals.

Latest posts