Darius Slay's Release...A fit for the Seahawks??

QWERTY

Reaction score
Too expensive.

Would rather have Clowney who got released from the Browns.

OP
OP
S

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Too expensive.

Would rather have Clowney who got released from the Browns.
We've already gone down that road, Clowney is NOT the player he was three years ago.
IF the Seahawks secondary can lock up the back end and Brandon Jordan can coach up the front seven to terrorize the competition's Offense, stuff their Run Game, we won't need to waste Cap dollars on Clowney or any other Also Ran Defenders that are past their prime.

Hawknight

Reaction score

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It's re-signed, not resigned.

Further, Slay was never actually cut and is still under contract for 2023, so there was no need for him to sign anything.

Slay also has three more void years on his contract after that, but that was just a trick to reduce his cap hit in 2022 and 2023 at the cost of guaranteeing the Eagles will have $13.8M of dead money on their cap next year from Slay's current contract.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
(On the subject of Clowney which also came up in this thread...)
Why not? The year he was here, he was the only bright spot on that line. Much better supporting cast this upcoming season already

I see it a little differently, tho' I agree it's worth talking to Clowney. I just think it'd be worthwhile because he could be relatively inexpensive and still good enough to be a decent part of a DL rotation.

That 2013 Seahawks defensive line was spectacular because it consisted of a bunch of good-to-very-good players and could be strong on every down without any players wearing down, because they could keep rotating. Bryant, McDaniel, Mebane, Clemons, Bennett, Avril, McDonald, and Irvin all played between 46.2% (Red) and 57.4% (Bennett) of the Seahawks' defensive snaps that season.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Further, Slay was never actually cut and is still under contract for 2023, so there was no need for him to sign anything.

Slay also has three more void years on his contract after that, but that was just a trick to reduce his cap hit in 2022 and 2023 at the cost of guaranteeing the Eagles will have $13.8M of dead money on their cap next year from Slay's current contract.

Did you just get double wooshed?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Did you just get double wooshed?

Quite possibly. Let's try to diagnose it.
Here's where I am:

@James in PA made a joke about the spelling error in @SPOHAWK's comment and then after SPO didn't get it (I did, so no whoosh there), you explained with a straight spelling correction.

Over an hour later, another poster repeated pretty much exactly the same thing you had said. Not a whoosh, but a different form of cluelessness, about on the same level as when AOL'ers started showing up in Usenet news groups in the early '90s, quoting the entirety of huge threads, and adding something along the lines of "me too."

I then pointed out that even "re-signed" wouldn't be right in this case because Slay was never actually cut, was therefore still under contract with the Eagles for 2023 (and technically, his contract goes for another three seasons after that, but those are void years to spread out his bonus and reduce his cap hit in the first couple of seasons of his extension), and therefore didn't need to sign anything to stay with the Eagles.

I don't even see a single thing that might have whooshed over my head, so it's entirely possible it's a double.

I'm pretty old, and if you remember the now-banned user Welshers, I always thought he might be doing some kind of humor in many of his comments around here. I never got it, but it seemed like he thought he was doing something humorous, so I figure there was prob'ly a lot of whooshing going on.

So tell me: did I get double-whooshed in this case? If so, please explain how. It'll be an educational experience for me.

Last edited: