Darrell Taylor MIA

Own The West

Reaction score
One thing that concerned me watching tonight was Darrell Taylor had nothing going. Several times he'd just run into the tackle and flail around. Did anyone else see that?

I'm curious what was going on there, but he looked like a rookie with no rush plan or counters.

balakoth

Reaction score
We talking from TV standpoint or those of us at the game watching him take on doubles and allowing others pressure?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's gonna be hard for him. He's not able to rotate out as much, with Mafe backing up Nwosu and Alton out. He was gassed to hell and back.

Not a good game, but it's rough out there for him.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I couldn't be a NFL player or coach, but I know bad when I see it. It's the scheme, the 3-4 is simply not working for any player.

Bring back the 5-2 defence and at least stop something. I get how the 5-2 is outdated, but I also see how the 3-4 is doing NOTHING of value as well.

Once the DBs are seasoned, I would like to at least try out the 5-2.

Now I expect 787 to pop in and explain how crazy my idea is in 3...2...1...

Ozzy

Reaction score
We talking from TV standpoint or those of us at the game watching him take on doubles and allowing others pressure?
He's not constantly getting doubled by opposing teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah me thinks the 3-4 schemes are not being kind to Taylor.

He's struggling with more responsibility for setting the edge, covering up TE's, filling proper gaps on run plays and dropping into coverage when RB's and TE's go out into the flat, instead of just pinning his ears back and rushing.

Either way, if I had to pick a most disappointing player on the entire team thus far? It's Taylor. We desperately need him to ball out, and he's no where to be found.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
He's struggling with more responsibility for setting the edge, covering up TE's, filling proper gaps on run plays and dropping into coverage when RB's and TE's go out into the flat, instead of just pinning his ears back and rushing.
He was doing that last year, though. He played strong side linebacker, not the LEO spot.

There's been stories from Pete that implied Taylor came into the league with some character issues that they thought was cleaned up last year. It's total speculation but im thinking that's popping up again. Maybe the guy just doesn't watch tape or doesn't understand the importance of playing technically sound football instead of whinging it

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He was doing that last year, though. He played strong side linebacker, not the LEO spot.

There's been stories from Pete that implied Taylor came into the league with some character issues that they thought was cleaned up last year. It's total speculation but im thinking that's popping up again. Maybe the guy just doesn't watch tape or doesn't understand the importance of playing technically sound football instead of whinging it

If you watch Gold's film breakdown, it goes into some of what I'm talking about.

The 3-4 scheme requires more responsibility out of the outside edge/backer, and more importantly it requires different alignments/positioning. Taylor's out wider, and going against RT's 90% of the time, which is usually the best lineman on every line in the NFL.

Maybe there is something to what you're saying, but none of it is provable. Character issues? Eh, hard to believe that when he's balled out for two years prior, and is in a contract year wanting to get paid.

IMO far more about scheme, depth help, and small things that are frustrating him like 3-4 responsibilities and positioning, like Gold's YT video shows.

Scout

Reaction score
I think he can blossom as a rotational player when they go into NASCAR packages in third and long situations. Honestly whether you are a 43 end or a 34 OLB if you can't set the edge you can't start or shouldn't start.

Even in a 43 one gap a LDE HAS to be able to hold and set the edge. This is because RTs tend to be bigger and stronger and the RG will often team up with the RT to double team.

With a 34 one gap that is still true except you have to also be able to cover the flat. Tayler has the athleticism but he simply hasn't showing the discipline.

Just do your job and stick to your gap. Taylor has to trust himself and stay home.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe there is something to what you're saying, but none of it is provable. Character issues? Eh, hard to believe that when he's balled out for two years prior, and is in a contract year wanting to get paid.
Taylor is technically in Year 3 but his first year playing was last year because of his leg injury. He's a RFA in 2024, because he missed his full rookie year.

I had no idea about any possible character issues but Pete mentioned in the preseason how he asked the coaches to "start over" with DT beginning of last season and it made a difference. Basically it sounded like he made a bad first impression.

I was hyped for him because I thought he flashed enough talent to project him as a impact player but I wouldn't say
he balled out last year. He had some good rushes and 1 good hit at the goaline.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think he has a bright future in this league but he might want to get out of his own way and just play ball.

During the preseason I noticed some interesting body language and demeanor on the sideline after he was done for the day. He seemed to me to be jawing about like he was a damn superstar.
He has definitely flashed and showed last year that he can rush the passer. The dude needs to quit thinking that he’s all that and actually start playing fundamental football. I posted on a game day thread that he thinks he’s Lawrence Taylor but he’s actually playing like Elizabeth Taylor. I haven’t changed my mind. Some guys read their hype and begin to believe that’s who they are.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Chicken legs like Frank Clark. He needs to add 7-10 lbs and hit the squats!

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
If you watch Gold's film breakdown, it goes into some of what I'm talking about.

The 3-4 scheme requires more responsibility out of the outside edge/backer, and more importantly it requires different alignments/positioning. Taylor's out wider, and going against RT's 90% of the time, which is usually the best lineman on every line in the NFL.

IMO far more about scheme, depth help, and small things that are frustrating him like 3-4 responsibilities and positioning, like Gold's YT video shows.
Well, it's not really accurate to say the RT is the best lineman. The LT, since more QBs are right handed, is typically the best pass blocker, the RT the best run blocker, but I'm pretty sure the highest paid tackles on average in the NFL are still LTs. He's doing poorly in both setting the edge and pass rushing, though, so that's kind of moot.

It does sound like the fact that he's starting wider on most plays (since teams typically line up the TE or slot receiver on that side) is affecting him, though, based on Gold's video, so I do agree that the 3-4 is probably hurting him.

Gold pointed out some technique issues as well, but I feel like some of those might be related to starting wider as well. He mentioned that it's his steps aren't as purposeful, and I feel like maybe he just doesn't have a good feel for how many steps he needs to take from the wider spot on the line?

At any rate, I'm pretty sure his lack of production is playing a role in why Bruce Irvin is being brought in.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
DT lines up against the RT because he prefers to rush from that side. It's a tendency that the coaches needs to help him with. If I'm the opposite team and I know DT is on the strong side then I would put a TE next to the RT too. Especially if I know Taylor is going to take forever to make a move. I'm pretty sure this is done on purpose and the other offenses know this works. Why not change it up with him? Twist and stunts don't help DT. Move him around the line. Make the offense find him on the Dline.

It's pretty clear that Taylor doesn't seem to have a good feel about lining up wide and timing his moves. His pass moves are aren't smooth this year. He's spinning into the tackles or getting pushed/ridden out of a play.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Bruce likely is going to help spell Chenna so he doesn't get worn down. That will allow Mafe and Taylor to rotate. I am hoping Bruce can also show Taylor and Mafe some things regarding footwork and angles.