Dear (Deity Here), Why Does Our Defense Blow Chunks?

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Why does our defense "blow chunks?"

I like to call it, Seahawk's pride!

Clint Hurtt has so much pride in his game planning, that he actually wants his defense on the field for 40 to 45 minutes per game.

You don't see that same kind of pride out of Shane Waldron's offense, now do you? Fifteen, maybe twenty minutes, then poof, their gone!

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Lack of fire. The philosophy in the culture has started to become cliche and stale, and players don't understand the personal glory that can come with a championship if they put it all out there.

renofox

Reaction score

Clint Hurtt has so much pride in his game planning, that he actually wants his defense on the field for 40 to 45 minutes per game.

You don't see that same kind of pride out of Shane Waldron's offense, now do you? Fifteen, maybe twenty minutes, then poof, their gone!
I love this theory!

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
I'm always happy to entertain...
BTW, Happy New Year, reno!

renofox

Reaction score
I'm always happy to entertain...
BTW, Happy New Year, reno!
And to you, and everyone here!

It's nice to have a place to vent where we're all united in our support for the SEAHAWKS. Even when many of us hate what so many of these "coaches" and "players" are doing to bring our team down.

bileever

Reaction score
It defies explanation. There are no words. No one can believe what they see, much less try to make sense of it.

How can it be that the Rams defense can be so much better with only Aaron Donald plus 10 JAGs?

And how are we getting worse as the season goes on? I think something broke, and we have yet to fix it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I know people like to blame the game plan but when you give the game an honest look, how many times would a tackle here and there have gotten us off the field?

When it comes down to tackling I look at 3 possible issues (or a combination of them).

1) Guys are making business decisions to stay healthy ( I really think that this is what has caused Adams’ play to diminish)

2) coaches are teaching bad technique.

3) there is just too much trying to make the big play (turnovers) instead of just making the easy tackle.

Whatever the issue is if we fix the tackling I think it fixes a lot of our defensive issues.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

THAT is funny ;)

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I know people like to blame the game plan but when you give the game an honest look, how many times would a tackle here and there have gotten us off the field?

When it comes down to tackling I look at 3 possible issues (or a combination of them).

1) Guys are making business decisions to stay healthy ( I really think that this is what has caused Adams’ play to diminish)

2) coaches are teaching bad technique.

3) there is just too much trying to make the big play (turnovers) instead of just making the easy tackle.

Whatever the issue is if we fix the tackling I think it fixes a lot of our defensive issues.
Good points. I hadn't thought of #1.

Adams seems to think that if he can just get up to Warp Factor 7 that he can just knock people over like bowling pins just by the speed of the collision - no 'tackling' required! ;) Just hearing reports that he's probably back next season. Please god no. Shit - even HOLMEY came out 2 weeks ago with the 'sometimes you just gotta eat the money and cut the dude'. And he doesn't say shit.

ccla

Reaction score
100% this. I think it is s trend in the whole NFL (and college too) except for a couple of teams. It is extremely frustrating because i think making the easy plays generates the big ones, not the other way around. It is extremely evident in the Hawks because that is my team, but most other teams play the same way. I am baffled at the reason, but it might be a result of the rules favoring the offense and needing to be very disciplined not to draw penalties, but not sure.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Lack of effort.

They have talent, they just don't try and don't care. They need to bring in some dawgs that want to oppose their will, not these chumps that sit there and take it.

NoGain

Reaction score
Someone mentioned this before this week, and it really stood out to me. There's a seeming lack of accountability running throughout the team at all levels, from the coaching staff, to the front office, to the locker room. A lack of accountability means a lack of effective leadership at all these levels. We're underperforming in so many different ways and the message isn't getting through that this is unacceptable. Pittsburgh wanted it more than we did the other day. I don't know how you could have watched the defense and not come away thinking that. This is before you even get into things like scheme and adjustments and the like.

In the LOB years, you had a bunch of players on the defense that were not going to tolerate anything less than total effort, guys like Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, etc... That seems to be missing now.

It's just time for a change of leadership, and to get rid of players that aren't ready to make that real commitment to winning.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The defense is designed to do this.
It doesn't 'blow chunks'. We built it for this.

Pete follows the 'Nothing Deep, Nothing Cheap' philosophy.
His entire plan is to force an offense to execute and covert 5-7 times in order to get a TD.
We will give you short and med gains, but gamble that somewhere along the line you will make a mistake or two - forcing a punt or FG.
Its built to do this.
We run sometimes effectively 2 man fronts, we give up the middle and TEs all day, screens are open whenever you wish.
We don't 'suck'. It's doing what it is supposed to.

If you execute, the plays are there. Pete & Co just bet on you missing a few. (Watch the Eagles game. They missed open guys on most of those interceptions, as an example). Good teams execute. Bad teams don't. You force teams to execute and enough bad teams will fail that you will pile up wins. And that's what happens. (Admittedly, one thing that DOES 'blow chunks' is our tackling.)
Since the plays are there, and easy to predict - good coaches take advantage of it. That's what happened.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
8 nzSBTmKBENaPdt0

"Hey Aros, I'm the deity in question. I'm Nyx'kthal, the Veiled Abyss, an eldritch horror, hi. You see Aros, Pete came to me decades ago and asked if I could instill my power into the Seahawks defense. Intrigued by the calls of tiny, fleshy mortals I agreed. However, my benevolence is not without a price and as such I would withdraw my power from your Seahawks and return it unto me. The current state you see your beloved feet ball team is what was always meant to be without my intervention. I hope that answered any questions you may have."

"Oh, and if you'll excuse me, I need to pay Brock Purdy a visit. He owes me something too. Good luck with the rest of your season."

Last edited:

Boohman14

Reaction score
I the LOB days, the Hawks stood out for their tackling and actually wrapping up. Everyone on defense wrapped up. You can't run well with a 180lb DB stuck to your leg, even if you're Henry. This group likes to try to collide and knock down the ball carrier, or tackle too high allowing themselves to be carried or getting stiff armed. It's 100% on the coaching. The Hawks have very good personnel but the poor tackling and back end execution allows for big runs constantly.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Someone mentioned this before this week, and it really stood out to me. There's a seeming lack of accountability running throughout the team at all levels, from the coaching staff, to the front office, to the locker room. A lack of accountability means a lack of effective leadership at all these levels. We're underperforming in so many different ways and the message isn't getting through that this is unacceptable. Pittsburgh wanted it more than we did the other day. I don't know how you could have watched the defense and not come away thinking that. This is before you even get into things like scheme and adjustments and the like.

In the LOB years, you had a bunch of players on the defense that were not going to tolerate anything less than total effort, guys like Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, etc... That seems to be missing now.

It's just time for a change of leadership, and to get rid of players that aren't ready to make that real commitment to winning.
Post of the thread IMHO. Amongst a lot of good ones. Pete talks about culture and competition but it appears to ring hollow these days. ALL NFL teams are competitive and have world class athletes.

What's missing is leadership that can inspire ( whatever it takes) these men to do their jobs correctly. The other part is having a guy like Earl Thomas, who was by all accounts a psycho, but was a bad MF who gave this team an edge , an inner accountability that top teams have.