Deion Sanders says Shedeur & Hunter will decide where they play

12AngryHawks

Reaction score

I don't know about you all, but the whole "I'm too good to play for just anyone" mindset bothers me, shouldn't Deion be grateful to any team that wants to draft his boys?

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He is the most self-centered, conceited athlete we have ever seen. He thinks he's so important that he will be able to dictate what teams his kids go to.
This is football, stop making it sound like they are afraid to play in the cold. He's not only embarrassing himself, he's also REALLY embarrassing his kids.

It's THEIR lives, let them make their own damn decisions. F, I can't stand MEion.

And they are adults, they need to speak for themselves.

OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
He is the most self-centered, conceited athlete we have ever seen. He thinks he's so important that he will be able to dictate what teams his kids go to.
This is football, stop making it sound like they are afraid to play in the cold. He's not only embarrassing himself, he's also REALLY embarrassing his kids.

It's THEIR lives, let them make their own damn decisions. F, I can't stand MEion.

Had to edit my post, to clarify that these are all Deion's words. There hasn't been any related statements made by Shedeuer or Hunter themselves. Deion's got no filter, so he'll gladly say stuff like this for all to hear. Hopefully they're smart enough not to hurt their draft stock by echoing his statements.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
How does the leverage work in this situations? Does the player call up the teams they won't play for and tell them "don't bother drafting me because I ain't gonna suit up for you" so that the teams will be too scared to waste a pick and select somebody else?

Torc

Reaction score
I think the players have a lot more leverage than they used to, since the likely first few picks of the draft can earn a couple of million dollars going back to college on the NIL deal. There is some risk of an injury but they're not sitting on the couch for a year.

I have mixed feelings about this. If I were a player there are definitely organizations that I would want no part of. But parity is a big reason for the NFL's success and the draft mechanism is a foundation of that parity.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Eli Manning won 2 super bowls not wanting to play for a team. Sometimes it works.

Shadeur can choose not to interview with some teams. Better hope that the other teams want him. I'm not bothered by this. I wasn't assigned a job after college, I applied and decided where I wanted to work.

I think most players just want to get drafted as high as possible and would prefer playing for a team. But Shadeur is a top prospect with a dad who was in the NFL. He's going to have a lot more opinions on his destination.

chris98251

Reaction score
John Elway, Jeff George, Eli Manning, most Notables to use this ploy, then again they were expected to be a top 5 pick, these two hmmm I don't think so, you have to be good enough to have leverage, I don't think they are even close. They may end up UDFA with no money Guarantee, lucky to be asked to a team.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
John Elway, Jeff George, Eli Manning, most Notables to use this ploy, then again they were expected to be a top 5 pick, these two hmmm I don't think so, you have to be good enough to have leverage, I don't think they are even close. They may end up UDFA with no money Guarantee, lucky to be asked to a team.
Shedeur is like a 2025 #1 pick mock right now.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score

I don't know about you all, but the whole "I'm too good to play for just anyone" mindset bothers me, shouldn't Deion be grateful to any team that wants to draft his boys?
Say ok, but your dad has to make a tackle....

Lagartixa

Reaction score
How does the leverage work in this situations? Does the player call up the teams they won't play for and tell them "don't bother drafting me because I ain't gonna suit up for you" so that the teams will be too scared to waste a pick and select somebody else?

In the case of The Teeth, he and his agent threatened he'd play baseball rather than play for the 1983 Colts.

The Teeth also told the Colts he wanted to play on the West Coast or for the Cowboys or Dolphins. The Colts kept trying to make trades, but no trade happened before the draft, probably because the other teams knew the Colts had no leverage and were getting into a weaker position each day.

The Colts informed The Teeth just before the draft that since they hadn't gotten a trade done, they would have to pick him. Once the draft started, the Colts picked The Teeth immediately. They had 15 minutes, but put in their choice right at the beginning. The Teeth said publicly that he was going to play baseball. The Teeth's father said The Teeth would never play for Irsay or Colts head coach Frank Kush.

Irsay had been negotiating with the Broncos since before the draft. The Colts were interested in offensive lineman Chris Hinton, whom the Broncos had taken with the fourth pick. In May of '83, the Colts traded The Teeth to the Broncos for Hinton, a backup QB, and a first-round pick in the next year's draft.

Hinton was drafted to play guard and played in all 16 games for the Colts as a left guard, starting 15 of them, and later moved successfully to left tackle for the Colts, then later to right tackle and right guard for the Falcons and Vikings. He made the Pro Bowl seven times - six for the Colts and once later for the Falcons - in his 13 seasons in the league. He was second-team All-Pro three times, all as a tackle for the Colts, and first-team All-Pro twice, once as tackle for the Colts and once as a guard for the Falcons.

The Broncos' first-round draft pick turned out to be pick number 19 in the 1984 draft, which the Colts turned into offensive lineman Ron Solt. Solt started 16, 15, and 16 games in 1984-86, all as a RG. In 1987, Solt played in 12 games, starting all of them. He made the Pro Bowl and was second-team All-Pro as a guard. He then got into a contract dispute with the Colts and held out for the first month of the 1988 season, and then was traded to the Eagles for the Eagles' 1989 first-round pick and 1990 fourth-round pick.

The 1989 first-rounder became Andre Rison, who played his rookie season for the Colts, then was traded, along with Hinton, the Colts' 1991 first-round draft pick, and the Colts' 1990 fifth-round pick, to Atlanta for Atlanta's #1 pick in the 1990 draft. Y'know, so the Colts could draft Jeff George. Two picks later, the Seahawks got Tez.

The Falcons used the Colts' 1991 first-round pick to draft WR Mike Pritchard, who played nine seasons in the NFL - for the Falcons in 1991-93, the Broncos in '94-'95, and the Seahawks in '96-'99.

The 1990 fourth-rounder became offensive lineman Rick Cunningham, who appeared in two games for the Colts, but not as a starter, in 1990 before bouncing around the league, playing in 80 games for four teams over eight seasons.

What happened to all the pieces of what the Colts managed to get from the Broncos for The Teeth is interesting. Given the situation, it's surprising they were able to get as much as they did for him.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So to summarize, in reality there is no parity [sometimes], because bottom feeding teams sometimes have no shot at the top qb they might really want.

GemCity

Reaction score
Mixed emotions about this…

Party of me thinks it’s nuts to consider one’s self so entitled that you won’t play for certain teams.

The other thinks that if I were being offered a job in New Mexico, and I couldn’t stand New Mexico, the employer would have to do a good/great job of recruiting me to New Mexico. If not, I’d simply not take the job.

Of course, those are different scenarios but the basic premise is the same.

cheese22

Reaction score
Mixed emotions about this…

Party of me thinks it’s nuts to consider one’s self so entitled that you won’t play for certain teams.

The other thinks that if I were being offered a job in New Mexico, and I couldn’t stand New Mexico, the employer would have to do a good/great job of recruiting me to New Mexico. If not, I’d simply not take the job.

Of course, those are different scenarios but the basic premise is the same.
Pay me several million dollars a year to play football and I would live almost anywhere. They do still have a little leeway about where they actually decide to live. They can still live in the poshist(sp?) areas in any city they live.
This is what happens when guys become bigger than the team or even the game in Deion's head.
I think the biggest difference between now and then is that athletes (and their people) did it quietly, sort of. Now, I think some of these guys relish the attention that comes with the drama.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

I guess you've never heard of LaVar Ball. At least, Deion was top star in the NFL during his playing days. LaVar was only good at running his mouth.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Of course I've heard of Ball, who hasn't? This reeks of the same stuff. Parent getting way too involved.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Pay me several million dollars a year to play football and I would live almost anywhere. They do still have a little leeway about where they actually decide to live. They can still live in the poshist(sp?) areas in any city they live.
This is what happens when guys become bigger than the team or even the game in Deion's head.
I think the biggest difference between now and then is that athletes (and their people) did it quietly, sort of. Now, I think some of these guys relish the attention that comes with the drama.
Perhaps you have several millions of dollars…I don’t.

They often do.

I’d play for $300K a year….for the Alaskan Snowballs.

I don’t find it ironic nor surprising that some players simply don’t want to be somewhere geographically…let alone play for some franchises.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You'd do it for several million dollars anywhere because no one is offering you several million dollars (or any dollars).

We don't complain about free agents choosing where they want to go, or going somewhere else because they get paid a bit more.

I just don't think Shedeur having a preference on where he goes is that big of a deal. This is his career and going to the right situation could mean the difference between being a FA in 5 years and making $50M a year for a decade after.

NoGain

Reaction score
I'm with Deion on this one. The draft is a totally archaic system that should go the way of the dinosaur. I mean, we live in a free country, don't we? Why can't NFL prospects go where they want to, play where they want to play? I'm surprised this hasn't gone to the courts yet. The draft should be done away with in all professional sports. It's a mild form of indentured servitude.

Latest posts