Derrick Henry to the 'Hawks (speculation/Jerhawk's head)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In a monumental blockbuster trade proposal in my Madden 23 franchise this morning, I offered the 37th overall pick to the Titans in exchange for running back Derrick Henry.

As much as I love K9, he's not a power back. That's just not his game. And instead of drafting one in the later rounds to serve as a valuable short yardage option for a fraction of the price while we utilize the 37th pick for better reasons, I felt it would be more beneficial to handcuff the team's salary cap as we continue to rebuild.

I did some research on his contract situation, and even though he's 29 heading into a contract year, I stand firm in my belief that this proposed trade would be a true blockbuster. Not necessarily beneficial in any way other than hype and some tough yardage, maybe even several 100 yard games, but still a great way to generate some hype.

Here's a quote to show further research was done:

"In 2023, Henry will earn a base salary of $10,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $16,367,647 and a dead cap value of $10,102,941. Misc. Contract Notes: $25.5M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2020 salary + 2021 salary)"

The Seahawks should really trade a pick for this young man before he hits free agency.

Thanks for reading!

Unfortunately, my trade request was declined by the computer, but I will not be deterred!

(For the record EA Madden franchise is absolute trash and the NFL has no shame in allowing this broken product to be released at full price on an annual basis. On the year after Madden's death, they slapped together one of the worst games in franchise history, charged more for his legacy edition, all in an effort to capitalize on his passing. Truly ghastly and dispicable by Electronic Arts and the NFL)

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
In a monumental blockbuster trade proposal in my Madden 23 franchise this morning, I offered the 37th overall pick to the Titans in exchange for running back Derrick Henry.

As much as I love K9, he's not a power back. That's just not his game. And instead of drafting one in the later rounds to serve as a valuable short yardage option for a fraction of the price while we utilize the 37th pick for better reasons, I felt it would be more beneficial to handcuff the team's salary cap as we continue to rebuild.

I did some research on his contract situation, and even though he's 29 heading into a contract year, I stand firm in my belief that this proposed trade would be a true blockbuster. Not necessarily beneficial in any way other than hype and some tough yardage, maybe even several 100 yard games, but still a great way to generate some hype.

Here's a quote to show further research was done:

"In 2023, Henry will earn a base salary of $10,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $16,367,647 and a dead cap value of $10,102,941. Misc. Contract Notes: $25.5M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2020 salary + 2021 salary)"

The Seahawks should really trade a pick for this young man before he hits free agency.

Thanks for reading!

Unfortunately, my trade request was declined by the computer, but I will not be deterred!

(For the record EA Madden franchise is absolute trash and the NFL has no shame in allowing this broken product to be released at full price on an annual basis. On the year after Madden's death, they slapped together one of the worst games in franchise history, charged more for his legacy edition, all in an effort to capitalize on his passing. Truly ghastly and dispicable by Electronic Arts and the NFL)
I like it -

We could use a hammer, not a dancer at the position -

Kinger95

Reaction score
Absolutely terrible idea to have the best player on your team be a 29 year old running back. RB’s get injured so often it’s a recipe for failure

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think sometimes we overthink things a bit from a football perspective. Henry has continued to be remarkably productive, and the upside of that continuing for even a couple of years here puts this team into championship contention real fast. 3 of his last 4 seasons have been 1500 yard rushing seasons.

I'd offer the late second, though, if Tennessee REALLY wants to move him. His salary should provide a discount on the draft capital needed to obtain him.

Sure, it could go wrong and the trade could be a bust, but Seattle is never going to win a single thing being ultra-conservative. Gotta take some risks if you really want to contend. Every team to make the championship games last year has taken bigger risks than trading a second for the best running back in football.

Mizak

Reaction score
You guys are so cheap. Dude ran for over 1500 yards last season.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Would rather just use 37 on a RB in the draft TBH. I don't want a second (third) RB to be taking up any cap space.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You guys are so cheap. Dude ran for over 1500 yards last season.
Right? Everyone is way overthinking it. If you can get the best running back in football without spending a first rounder, you do it. Even if you get just a couple of years out of him. Teams that have extra draft capital like us routinely spend some of it on proven ballers.

Mizak

Reaction score
Right? Everyone is way overthinking it. If you can get the best running back in football without spending a first rounder, you do it. Even if you get just a couple of years out of him. Teams that have extra draft capital like us routinely spend some of it on proven ballers.
He has like, what, 3 years left of being Derrick Henry. Turned 29 this January. That’s 2 very great years of running the ball. He would fit perfectly in Pete’s system. He can also get moderate YACs from screens.

also forgot, he can also mentor Walker, teach him the ins and outs.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
But what running back realistically compares to Henry, who has posted 1500+ rushing yards in 3 of his last 4 seasons?
You got me there - no rb in the draft comes with a 16m 2023 cap hit.

Why are .net posters under the impression that trading for a player means their cap number suddenly vanishes?

nanomoz

Reaction score
If the Hawks were one piece from being in real Super Bowl contention (I don't think they are) it'd be one hell of an expensive one-year rental.

As it stands, that would be absolutely senseless and in direct opposition to what seems to be a cogent plan that they're executing--a key element of which is getting younger.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He has like, what, 3 years left of being Derrick Henry. Turned 29 this January. That’s 2 very great years of running the ball. He would fit perfectly in Pete’s system. He can also get moderate YACs from screens.
Certainly would make Geno's job easier to have such a ridiculous tandem in the backfield.

Also can't be overstated just how much harder it is to play defense when a 6'2" 240 running back is body blowing your linebackers multiple times per drive. Feels like the team really misses having some physical imposition to its rushing attack.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You got me there - no rb in the draft comes with a 16m 2023 cap hit.

Why are .net posters under the impression that trading for a player means their cap number suddenly vanishes?
Yeah, I'm not under that impression, my guy. Do you see any other competitive team being giant tightasses with the cap?

No. No, you don't. It can be managed.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Certainly would make Geno's job easier to have such a ridiculous tandem in the backfield.

Also can't be overstated just how much harder it is to play defense when a 6'2" 240 running back is body blowing your linebackers multiple times per drive. Feels like the team really misses having some physical imposition to its rushing attack.

And how much harder is it for YOUR defense to improve when you've spent a not insignificant amount of cap on a 3rd running back because someone played madden last night?