DK is taking a lot of crap today

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3pa3nzal said:
If you have Wilson at QB, the smart play is to get out of bounds with 18 seconds left.

With Carroll and Geno?

Carroll is kicking that FG 100 times out of 100

Geno isn't scoring a TD in overtime.

So you better figure something else out. I don't have any problem with what DK did because it was the only way to win. Putting the game in Geno and Carroll's hands is will result in a loss, almost every time.

And since DK is one of our best players and one of maybe 2 difference makers left, and that assumes you include Tyler in that category, you had better embrace it.

This is absolute nonsense. Getting tackled in bounds or losing that fumble is what ends the game for sure. They were extremely lucky to spike it with less than a second remaining, penalty nonsense aside.

If they played well enough to end the game tied, there is obviously, and I mean OBVIOUSLY, a better chance to win in overtime than there is to score there.

It was a dumb play. There's really no getting around it.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
flv":2s6io4mh said:
Metcalf's decision not to step out-of-bounds denied his team 2 free chances to win the game. It very nearly denied the team a chance to go to OT. I'm surprised anyone is trying to support him.

I agree

RiverDog

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3e1dsqtt said:
TwistedHusky":3e1dsqtt said:
If you have Wilson at QB, the smart play is to get out of bounds with 18 seconds left.

With Carroll and Geno?

So you better figure something else out. I don't have any problem with what DK did because it was the only way to win. Putting the game in Geno and Carroll's hands is will result in a loss, almost every time.

And since DK is one of our best players and one of maybe 2 difference makers left, and that assumes you include Tyler in that category, you had better embrace it.

This is absolute nonsense. Getting tackled in bounds or losing that fumble is what ends the game for sure. They were extremely lucky to spike it with less than a second remaining, penalty nonsense aside.

If they played well enough to end the game tied, there is obviously, and I mean OBVIOUSLY, a better chance to win in overtime than there is to score there.

Agreed. Like someone else said, I'm literally shocked that anyone with a football IQ of over 1.0 is supporting Metcalf on this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2in0i8z6 said:
Thing is, he was right.

No he wasn't, he was wrong, and if not for the smart play of Swain his fumble would have cost us the game before overtime.

And the fact that he won't admit it and decided to pick a fight with one of the all time greats in Sharpe who has a gold jacket and multiple SB's?

Tells you that DK is still having maturity issues, which means we'll see even more bonehead plays like this one, and the one last year against the Cowboys.

As a player you can be confident and still be humble. DK hasn't quite learned the humble part yet.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3v4mwwzy said:
TwistedHusky":3v4mwwzy said:
Thing is, he was right.

No he wasn't, he was wrong, and if not for the smart play of Swain his fumble would have cost us the game before overtime.

And the fact that he won't admit it and decided to pick a fight with one of the all time greats in Sharpe who has a gold jacket and multiple SB's?

Tells you that DK is still having maturity issues, which means we'll see even more bonehead plays like this one, and the one last year against the Cowboys.

As a player you can be confident and still be humble. DK hasn't quite learned the humble part yet.

10-4 on that. And I'll add that Russell Wilson was a few feet away yelling his lungs out at Swain.

That wasn't a rookie mistake, or even a mistake that a grade schooler playing flag football would have made. My only possible explanations are that Metcalf might have thought that we still had a timeout or that he was further away from FG range than he was. Neither explanation make any sense.

So I'm left with just two possible conclusions:

1. Metcalf is a complete moron, a mental midget. His span of concentration is less than 15 seconds.

2. Metcalf doesn't give a rip about the team, all he cares about is his own success. He wanted to be the hero.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1d8o8gnt said:
If DK runs out of bounds, he stops the clock.

Guarantee you that even with 18 seconds on the clock, Pete runs the clock down and plays to kick the FG.

There were precious few seconds on the clock.

The only way he wins that game is to take the decision/ball out of the coach's hands.

It did not work out because he wasn't able to get free. But it was the right call.

That is the point. Running out of bounds is the safer play but with Carroll on the sidelines and whathisname as your QB, it will just end in a loss - even if you bring it to OT.

You have to at least try or you lost already.

DK was right to do what he did, even though it did not work out for us.

with 18 seconds left on the clock being on the 35 they have a shot in the endzone to win the game

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":l7h4iflj said:
Sgt. Largent":l7h4iflj said:
TwistedHusky":l7h4iflj said:
Thing is, he was right.

10-4 on that. And I'll add that Russell Wilson was a few feet away yelling his lungs out at Swain.

That wasn't a rookie mistake, or even a mistake that a grade schooler playing flag football would have made. My only possible explanations are that Metcalf might have thought that we still had a timeout or that he was further away from FG range than he was. Neither explanation make any sense.

1. Metcalf is a complete moron, a mental midget. His span of concentration is less than 15 seconds.

2. Metcalf doesn't give a rip about the team, all he cares about is his own success. He wanted to be the hero.

I won't go as far down the pejorative words list as you, but I think DK is immature, lacks some situational awareness and like a LOT of great WR's, has a massive ego and chip on his shoulder.

Thus the bonehead plays and loss of temper.

I love the player DK's become, but this is the kind of stuff that'd make me nervous as hell when it comes time to decide on whether to hand him 25-30M a year.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":10pmfpan said:
TwistedHusky":10pmfpan said:

Guarantee you that even with 18 seconds on the clock, Pete runs the clock down and plays to kick the FG.

The only way he wins that game is to take the decision/ball out of the coach's hands.

It did not work out because he wasn't able to get free. But it was the right call.

That is the point. Running out of bounds is the safer play but with Carroll on the sidelines and whathisname as your QB, it will just end in a loss - even if you bring it to OT.

with 18 seconds left on the clock being on the 35 they have a shot in the endzone to win the game

LTH

With the ball on the Pittsburgh 35, a FG attempt would have been from 53 yards on a cool night in a stadium that is a kicker's graveyard. Had Metcalf stepped out of bounds at the 25 like he should have, we would have had at least one shot at the end zone or another 10 yards or so for an easier FG attempt and had it failed, had time left for a still very makeable 43 yd FG attempt.

There was next to zero chance that Metcalf could have scored from that far out on the sidelines and against a prevent defense, and once he was at the 25, any extra yardage he might have gained isn't worth the risk of getting tackled in bounds with no timeouts. It's not rocket science.

As it was, we were damn lucky that the replay booth shut it down for review of a play where there was no question that the pass was completed, which is why Mike Tomlin was going ballistic.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
LTH":2czfvd36 said:
TwistedHusky":2czfvd36 said:

LTH

With RW, they definitely take that shot. With Geno, I don't know. Honestly I don't know.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
RiverDog":3fvic68f said:
Maelstrom787":3fvic68f said:
TwistedHusky":3fvic68f said:

With Carroll and Geno?

Agreed. Like someone else said, I'm literally shocked that anyone with a football IQ of over 1.0 is supporting Metcalf on this.
Look, it's clear Twisted is twisting this Metcalf play into some weird reason to show how bad a coach he thinks Pete is. Like we don't already know what he thinks on the issue. It's the most bizarre reach I've ever seen. Many bridges too far. He might as well take that "Pete is so bad we can only win if" theory all the way and suggest the team not even show up.

RiverDog

Reaction score
ZagHawk":88odqt5s said:
LTH":88odqt5s said:
TwistedHusky":88odqt5s said:

LTH

With RW, they definitely take that shot. With Geno, I don't know. Honestly I don't know.

You take that shot no matter who the QB is.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":38emd0rm said:

Sgt. Largent":38emd0rm said:
I won't go as far down the pejorative words list as you, but I think DK is immature, lacks some situational awareness and like a LOT of great WR's, has a massive ego and chip on his shoulder.

Thus the bonehead plays and loss of temper.

I love the player DK's become, but this is the kind of stuff that'd make me nervous as hell when it comes time to decide on whether to hand him 25-30M a year.

It's truly hard for me to rationalize that play in a manner that would give Metcalf the benefit of the doubt. Prior to that play, they had just come out of two consecutive timeouts, one by us and another by the Steelers. It's not like he got caught up in the heat of the moment and lost track of the clock or our field position.

It's a different subject, but I'm against paying any WR $25-30M a year let alone one with half a brain, so I'm of the notion that we should be looking to trade Metcalf rather than lose him to free agency in 2023. This team needs draft choices, and next to Russell, he's the one player that could yield us some serious draft capital.

byau

Reaction score
if DK thought he could score, sure why not? The only thing then is where's that line, was it a smart move or an ego move? Smart move, like legit thought he could make it in, yes. Ego move wanting to play hero against bad odds, not smart.

Smellyman

Reaction score
2nd dumbest play I can recall right now, Irvin had a few, as was a certain offensive play call.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
My memory is a little faded so correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember a play similar to this in last years Philadelphia game I believe.

DK caught a wr screen to the left, lowered his shoulder and trucked the DB and then instantly accelerated and took it to the house. Unfortunately the play was called back on offensive PI.

My point is that while under the circumstances it was a risky attempt with little time and no T.O. if he is able to truck that DB he could’ve found the end zone.
As it was if he just holds the ball it doesn’t become the scramble drill to spike the ball and they probably have 8-10 seconds.

I’ve seen HOF receivers make mistakes, this one when all was said and done didn’t cost the game so maybe ease up on the trade talk….

scutterhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":9a4vfvf0 said:
He’s the fastest guy on the field and they weren’t even trying to tackle him so yeah he has a chance to score if they didn’t place that punch perfectly.
Are you paying attention this post Jerhawk??, edogg23 is saying EXACTLY what I was alluding to.
NOT ONLY was DK the fastest guy there, he'd blown right past defenders like this, and scored a couple times last year, so his mindset was not wrong on that play.
A lot of folks like to tout their 2020 vision on a play, only AFTER it did or didn't pan out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was a dumb play, it didn't cost them the game. Move on.

But, at least Adams and DK are the new whipping boys for the fans. Gives a little break to the Russ bashing. :mrgreen:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":10dgwqwr said:
My memory is a little faded so correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember a play similar to this in last years Philadelphia game I believe.

DK caught a wr screen to the left, lowered his shoulder and trucked the DB and then instantly accelerated and took it to the house. Unfortunately the play was called back on offensive PI.

My point is that while under the circumstances it was a risky attempt with little time and no T.O. if he is able to truck that DB he could’ve found the end zone.
As it was if he just holds the ball it doesn’t become the scramble drill to spike the ball and they probably have 8-10 seconds.

I’ve seen HOF receivers make mistakes, this one when all was said and done didn’t cost the game so maybe ease up on the trade talk….

That play is likely not a fair comparison to the situation Metcalf was in last Sunday night. With 14 seconds to go and after having two consecutive timeouts to get organized and set their defense, Pittsburgh was in a prevent mode, guarding the end zone or a big play that would have given us a better shot at the end zone. That significantly decreases the chances of Metcalf scoring from 25 yards out and unless you can show that the game situation in your example was similar, it's not relevant.

I don't care how anyone tries to spin it, it was a dumb ass play. I've watched football for about 60 years, and although I've seen a lot of stupid plays, I'm hard pressed to recall one that was worse than this one.

Latest posts