Do PC/JS have a Mahomes-Allen QB man-crush on any '23 QBs?

olyfan63

Reaction score
So we know that JS (and I assume PC by extension) were seriously thinking about taking Mahomes or Allen if either dropped to them even while Mr. Limited was still fooling the public. Those are two pretty good QBs to have a man-crush on, as much for their leadership and intangibles (e.g., work habits, film study), as their physical ability.

1) Are there any QBs in the 2023 draft class that people think JS/PC have a Mahomes-Allen level QB man-crush on? Will Levis? CJ Stroud? Anthony Richardson? Max Duggan? Bryce Young? Some other "sleeper" choice? Is there any QB they would pass up Jalen Carter and Will Anderson to take?

2) What media-touted 2023 QBs have JS/PC put a "hard pass" label on, like say, in hindsight, a pouty Kyler Murray, lazy JaMarcus Russell, or overrated Zach Wilson? Maybe Bryce Young (size concerns), Max Duggan (arm strength), or Anthony Richardson (immaturity/processing)?

I really haven't studied 2023 QBs enough to have a feeling on who the Hawks like, hoping to learn from others here. Offhand, I'm guessing CJ Stroud, maybe Will Levis, but don't know enough about them to have any idea how Hawks are rating them.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I take the talk of if Mahomes or Allen would have fallen to the end of the 1st rd we would have considered taking them with a grain of salt. My guess is Anthony Richardson but the real answer would be at what point are you risking it like when the Hawks took DK Metcalf who besides the size and physical gifts had health concerns

IMO none of the QBs in the 2023 draft are worth a top 10 pick so the short answer to your question is no

massari

Reaction score
even while Mr. Limited was still fooling the public
Apparently fooling PC/JS as well considering they made him the highest paid QB

Mahomes and Allen were both low floor high upside prospects. The two guys with the highest upside in this draft are said to be Anthony Richardson and Will Levis.

Richardson and Levis would be a good guess.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Apparently fooling PC/JS as well considering they made him the highest paid QB

Mahomes and Allen were both low floor high upside prospects. The two guys with the highest upside in this draft are said to be Anthony Richardson and Will Levis.

Richardson and Levis would be a good guess.
Thanks for chiming in. Maybe half of the mock drafts have the Seahawks taking a QB, which is a bit surprising, but it's hard to know what PC/JS will do with Geno and Lock, contractually, for next year. It's unknown (to me) if any of the QBs in this '23 class would be the choice over generational defensive talents like Jalen Carter and Will Anderson.

Young seems great, but the question mark is whether his body will hold up to the NFL battering. Levis is being projected as the "next Josh Allen" but he's not really lighting up college competition and the Josh Allen comp could easily turn out to be fool's gold. Stroud is a good dropback QB who will be a good pro, one comp is Joe Burrow, though he could only turn out to be Mac Jones.

The only QBs I can see PC/JS and the Hawks having a Mahomes-Allen man-crush on are Anthony Richardson, raw AF, and CJ Stroud, but I don't see them passing up Jalen Carter for Stroud. Stroud's 2 year upside is this year's Geno Smith. The problem with Richardson is he's a 2-3 year project, and I don't know if Pete has 3 years for the pick to pay off. If Richardson is available at the Hawks pick, #10 or so, yes they grab him. Stroud could make sense as a cheap but good QB that fits Pete's model of allowing cap room to buy another 3 or 4 really good free agent pickups on the defensive side.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
None of them have the juice or arm that either of those guys had coming out. Maybe Richardson, but he doesn't have the general competence either of those guys had. Even Allen, who was super rough around the edges.

I'm sure they LIKE one or a couple of these guys, but I don't particularly expect JS to be drooling over any of them. If he does like Richardson, I think he knows Richardson needs more time in the oven.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
God I like Hendon Hooker. His footwork is awesome and he is so confident in the pocket. He also knows coverages and was excellent at the audible.
Hooker was definitely fun to watch and beating Alabama was a huge win for him. He sure blew out his ACL at an inopportune time as far as draft evaluation. He does seem to have skills and tools that translate to the NFL level.

The downside on Hooker, supposedly, is that the offense he ran at Tennessee wasn't an NFL-ready type of system so he'll have more of a learning curve in adjusting. Any thoughts on that? Would love to see the Hawks pick him up with a 2nd rounder if he's still on the board.

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hooker was definitely fun to watch and beating Alabama was a huge win for him. He sure blew out his ACL at an inopportune time as far as draft evaluation. He does seem to have skills and tools that translate to the NFL level.

The downside on Hooker, supposedly, is that the offense he ran at Tennessee wasn't an NFL-ready type of system so he'll have more of a learning curve in adjusting. Any thoughts on that? Would love to see the Hawks pick him up with a 2nd rounder if he's still on the board.
It's tough to evaluate guys on their Sunday readiness when they come from college schemes, so I really am left to things that translate. I like how tall and planted he is in the pocket, he can throw with a hand in his face without scurrying out of the pocket prematurely. I think he reads defenses incredibly well. 2 INT (one was miscommunication on a route) this year and only 3 last year. And considering he doesn't have NFL-ready accuracy yet that's pretty amazing.

The ACL is tough but he should be able to workout by draft time.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's tough to evaluate guys on their Sunday readiness when they come from college schemes, so I really am left to things that translate. I like how tall and planted he is in the pocket, he can throw with a hand in his face without scurrying out of the pocket prematurely. I think he reads defenses incredibly well. 2 INT (one was miscommunication on a route) this year and only 3 last year. And considering he doesn't have NFL-ready accuracy yet that's pretty amazing.

The ACL is tough but he should be able to workout by draft time.
For sure, his reads look good. There was a play against Bama in the red zone where Hooker read the coverage, no safety in the middle, and audibled to a play he liked against that coverage, and zinged it in for a TD as the Bama safety who was up near the line could only turn and watch helplessly. Brilliant stuff! Love seeing a QB that reads the D and calls a smart audible and then executes it successfully!

massari

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in. Maybe half of the mock drafts have the Seahawks taking a QB, which is a bit surprising, but it's hard to know what PC/JS will do with Geno and Lock, contractually, for next year. It's unknown (to me) if any of the QBs in this '23 class would be the choice over generational defensive talents like Jalen Carter and Will Anderson.

Young seems great, but the question mark is whether his body will hold up to the NFL battering. Levis is being projected as the "next Josh Allen" but he's not really lighting up college competition and the Josh Allen comp could easily turn out to be fool's gold. Stroud is a good dropback QB who will be a good pro, one comp is Joe Burrow, though he could only turn out to be Mac Jones.

The only QBs I can see PC/JS and the Hawks having a Mahomes-Allen man-crush on are Anthony Richardson, raw AF, and CJ Stroud, but I don't see them passing up Jalen Carter for Stroud. Stroud's 2 year upside is this year's Geno Smith. The problem with Richardson is he's a 2-3 year project, and I don't know if Pete has 3 years for the pick to pay off. If Richardson is available at the Hawks pick, #10 or so, yes they grab him. Stroud could make sense as a cheap but good QB that fits Pete's model of allowing cap room to buy another 3 or 4 really good free agent pickups on the defensive side.
You're welcome! Maybe next time you'll think a little before disrespecting the greatest Seahawks QB of all time with absolute nonsense!

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
You're welcome! Maybe next time you'll think a little before disrespecting the greatest Seahawks QB of all time with absolute nonsense!
Your Me3 worship is misplaced here. He did have a great first few years, when he had his speed and elusiveness and was backed with prime LOB and Marshawn. Maybe you should think harder before eternally worshipping a player who prioritizes his "brand" over team success? Maybe you should think harder and appreciate Carroll and the cast of OCs who worked around Mr. Limited's egregious limitations such as not being able to run an NFL offense that requires on-schedule reads of the defense?

Why not go join John63 on the Broncos board and advocate for Me3's eternal greatness there?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Well...I think Russ wins by default. It's like saying the Amc Javelin AMX was the greatest car AMC ever made when you compare it to the Gremlin, the Pacer and the Hornet. I think I just severely dated myself but oh well :)

massari

Reaction score
Your Me3 worship is misplaced here. He did have a great first few years, when he had his speed and elusiveness and was backed with prime LOB and Marshawn. Maybe you should think harder before eternally worshipping a player who prioritizes his "brand" over team success? Maybe you should think harder and appreciate Carroll and the cast of OCs who worked around Mr. Limited's egregious limitations such as not being able to run an NFL offense that requires on-schedule reads of the defense?

Why not go join John63 on the Broncos board and advocate for Me3's eternal greatness there?
Seems odd that PC/JS would make Mr limited Me3 the highest paid QB at the time in 2019 with so many limitations, no?

Just suggesting to think a little logic before believing and repeating what you read from your favorite bloggers, that's all.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seems odd that PC/JS would make Mr limited Me3 the highest paid QB at the time in 2019 with so many limitations, no?

Just suggesting to think a little logic before believing and repeating what you read from your favorite bloggers, that's all.

You just get so emotional, maybe you should try a bit of logic and critical thinking? Like perhaps look beyond the actual words politicians and wheeler dealers like Pete and John say. Are you really that gullible? Pete and John screwed the Broncos over knowing full well Russell's limitations, and the Broncos (Paton & co) jumped at the bait because they wanted so badly to believe the media narrative. Broncos brass ignored actual experts like HOFer Kurt Warner who laid out the football issues for those who can think beyond media narrative.

Someone calls him "Mr. Limited" and you get all emotional. Russell brought this on himself by posting videos of himself spewing the "Mr. Unlimited" crap. Your emotional hero worship of a gifted--and flawed player further clouds your attempts at thinking. I guess logic and critical thinking are too hard for you, so I'll make it simple: Kurt Warner knows a lot more about NFL QBing than you. Further, you'd do well to believe what you're seeing from Russell in Denver. He's always been Mr. Limited, but now he's aged out of his elite elusiveness and no longer has Pete protecting him from himself.

Now, can we get back on topic about 2023 QBs Pete and John might like enough to pick, and take your misguided hero worship of Russell to a thread where it's on topic?

P.S. How many division round or later playoff wins did PC/JS/Russell have on Russell's rookie contract? And how many since Russell got paid? (Hint: zero)

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
NONE of these QBs interest me. They aren't even close to NFL ready, and should be 2nd, 3rd, 4th and later round picks.

Bryce Young played well in 2021 behind an elite OLine where Alabama outclassed everyone else. But this year, not so much, and he got injured. Make no mistake, he's an elite processor, but the NFL will eat him alive. Imagine Al Woods body slamming him in to the ground.

Jalen Carter or bust. Actually, I would trade back if some QB desperate team gives me multiple 1st round plus later round picks, and get my guy in the 2024 NFL Draft, Drake Maye.

Check him out in his Bowl Game vs Oregon. Dude has an elite arm, can throw people open, and is accurate. Plus, he's a big dude, which any QB under 6'1" will begrudgingly tell you, is a big deal in the NFL.

BASF

Reaction score
I really hope we do not draft Richardson. He needs one more season developing in college before he comes out. If he gets himself a QB coach apart from the team's QB coach, he would be a top five pick next season, if not number one. Coming out this season is a mistake that will cost him money in the long run.

massari

Reaction score
get my guy in the 2024 NFL Draft, Drake Maye.

Check him out in his Bowl Game vs Oregon. Dude has an elite arm, can throw people open, and is accurate. Plus, he's a big dude, which any QB under 6'1" will begrudgingly tell you, is a big deal in the NFL.
That'd require at least a top 10 pick, probably top 5. Can't see the Hawks D playing as bad next season to pick high enough for a top QB.

I'm hoping for Carter at #3, then one of those top QBs at #12 to develop behind Geno.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That'd require at least a top 10 pick, probably top 5. Can't see the Hawks D playing as bad next season to pick high enough for a top QB.

I'm hoping for Carter at #3, then one of those top QBs at #12 to develop behind Geno.
Somebody will desperately want a QB early in this draft ala SF/Trey Lance and Chicago/Justin Fields.

Trade back for multiple 1sts, then use them next year for Drake Maye.

massari

Reaction score
Somebody will desperately want a QB early in this draft ala SF/Trey Lance and Chicago/Justin Fields.

Trade back for multiple 1sts, then use them next year for Drake Maye.
Maye is already being talked about as potentially going #1 overall. If they end up having two 1sts again next year, one of them would have to be at least a top 10 to get him, considering the Hawks likely make the playoffs and their own pick will be around 20th overall.

Sounds like a good plan, but seems a lot would have to go right for it to actually happen, assuming a team would even want to trade away the pick to Seattle.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Well...I think Russ wins by default. It's like saying the Amc Javelin AMX was the greatest car AMC ever made when you compare it to the Gremlin, the Pacer and the Hornet. I think I just severely dated myself but oh well :)

I gave your comment a "like" for the laugh and for the general correctness that Wilson wins almost by default, because there really is a huge gap in production between Wilson and the next-best Seahawks QB.

However, Dave Krieg was better than a Gremlin, Pacer or Hornet, and I wouldn't get upset if somebody said Hasselbeck too. I have them as the second and third-best Seahawks QBs of all time, respectively, but similarly wouldn't get too upset if somebody wanted to switch the order of the two in his or her personal ranking. Because they played in different eras, comparing their performance is tricky. Anyway, I'll talk more about Krieg here, because I consider him the second-best Seahawks QB of all time.

Krieg was really good for his era. His numbers from the '80s and '90s would be those of a $#!+ty QB in today's NFL, but Krieg was so good compared to other QBs of that era that I never resented Krieg even a little bit for taking the starting job from my first childhood sports hero. Krieg was above-average in per-snap productivity for his first nine years as a pro (he had limited reps in his first three, but did pretty well with them, especially in what I always call the magical 1983 season - referring to the whole team, not Krieg specifically), and for other teams in '92-'94, and he was pretty damn good - much more than just "above-average" - in '83, '86-'88, and for the Lions in '94. Krieg only played about half a season in each of '83 and '94, but on a per-snap basis, he was excellent in both of those seasons.

Way better than a Gremlin, Pacer, or Hornet.

Latest posts