Do we have to beat teams twice?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RichNhansom":xijd7zk5 said:
It feels like the beginning of every game this year has come with a ton of big plays getting called back or opponents getting timely penalties to keep drives alive. Then the second half the officiating suddenly looks completely different than the first half. Ref's wallowing their whistles and tucking their flags deep in their pockets.

I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory but the truth is this is an entertainment industry and doesn't have to follow the guidelines of fair play unless it wants to. It is also a billion dollar industry that thrives from parody and rivalry.

For a long time I have felt like the NFL had something against the Seahawks. SBXL, Vinnies helmet and the schedule this year and last just to name a few but recently I have noticed something that got me thinking. When dominant teams play weaker teams it always seems like the flags fly against the bully in the early part of games and not just Seattle. There are exceptions but I'll talk about those later.

This year every game feels like an uphill battle. Way to many big plays called back on penalty's early in games while our opponents seem to almost get assists. In a game of momentum it gives a lessor team hope and we seem to see some very high level play from opponents who otherwise have looked like they could be easily taken out of games.

Is this the NFL's way of creating parody? Good teams demoralizing bad teams would have a negative effect for the NFL's goal.

I have also noticed this doesn't happen to every good team. Teams like GB who have a fan base large enough to make even a questionable call bigger than the travesty of SBXL seem exempt to this type of officiating for obvious reasons.

The biggest problem I see with this right now is it seems to be wearing on our team. Having 5 10am starts compiled on top of every teams best game and then add in that the officials give our lessor opponents reason to believe they have a chance (that sounds horrible but you know what I mean) to win creates a situation where instead of jumping out early and creating doubt we are finding ourselves coming from behind and having to overcome some tremendous hurdles.

Yes we have managed to overcome so far but how long can they be expected to overcome?

Looking at the Schedules last year and this year with the Niners being removed from any tough opponent from the 10 am start I felt like the NFL wanted to help the Niners because of the size of their fan base and being such a profitable and marketable team and then watching the officiating of each teams games I really started to think they not only wanted to help them but were willing to hold us back in if needed to keep the imae that these two teams are really close but after paying attention to other games around the league I have changed my stance. I don't think the NFL cares who wins or loses so much but they want the rivalries and parody in the league. If we take a three game lead in the division that rivalry is over so parody becomes less important than rivalry. If the Niners blow out all their opponents (lessor or not) it gives the appearance they are better than earlier in the season when we played them and therefore a real rivalry exists and with possibly the best two teams in football that creates a ton of excitement and marketability in itself.

I have a bad feeling this Sunday in Atlanta if they give the Falcons help or mysteriously find reasons to call back anything positive we do early we won't be leaving Atalanta with a W. Unfortunately I think it is taking a toll on our team and we are getting mentally and physically beat up. Hopefully I am wrong and we see a cleanly called game but I am having my doubts.

Sorry if I am rambling. I am tired so I will leave it a this. Would love to hear if anyone else is wondering something similar.
Great post. I've felt the same way for awhile now. I think marketing and merchandise plays a major role as well.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Good topic for reasonable discussion. Before XL*, I poo-pooed this exact notion to my cousin the Raiders fan who, because of the league's dislike of Al Davis, has always felt that Oakland got shafted regularly. After watching the "presentation" of 80% Stealers crap in the pregame to that Super Bowl and then the subsequent game, I no longer believe the officiating in the NFL is unbiased. Is it possible it's subconscious? Yes. Is it possible it's a conspiracy? Yes. As several people have pointed out here, the amount of money wagered on the NFL games is staggering and then if you throw in marketing you are talking even more. None the less, I think gambling and marketing/merchandise take a back seat to one even note important aspect, TV ratings. That's the engine that drives the money printing machine and the "national" teams as well as the east coast teams get better ratings. As long as they are good/relevant, the ratings stay high. Higher ratings mean larger TV contracts mean more $ in the pockets of the owners.

I might add as a footnote after the travesty that was XL*, I watched Raiders games with a more critical eye and saw some brutally bad calls that went against Oakland. As he told me after XL*, "if your team is going to win a Super Bowl, you'll have to do it like my team has.....beat not only the opponent but the referees too". Sadly, I believe he's right.

Last thought......I don't think a west coast team will ever be one of the favored few i.e. Cowpatties, Redracistnames, Midgets, Stealers, Fudgepackers, etc. I know there re a lot of Whiner fans out here on the left coast, but I don't think they have anywhere near as many fans east of the Mississippi. In fact, even in the West I think the Donkeys are as popular but like the Whiners, they lack a significant fanbase in the East.