Do we need Ziggy Ansah now?

Largent80

Reaction score
There's a rumor that Clowney is on the trading block. If we could somehow swing that without mortgaging the future it would instantly transform the D-Line.

getnasty

Reaction score
What kind of deal do you think Ziggy is gonna get? 1 year 13-14 million sounds about right to me.

Largent80

Reaction score
Why would the Seahawks take a chance on a player that just had surgery?....If they hire someone and pay that kind of money, health issues need to be considered.

I still think investigating what Houston wants for Clowney to be the best option after all we have 11 draft picks next year. Texans tagged him, and he's not happy about that.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
The little time I have spent on this when Chase didn't make it to 92 and was taken at 77 ... I have been looking for a udfa signing that could pull a Doug Baldwin at LEO.

The LB from the Citadel is a athletic freak and I guess has a knack for rushing the passer but he is a linebacker and not a defensive lineman.. maybe on third and long. There are more ways to skin a cat and I am happy Pete and John are the ones actually doing it while I just speculate.

With that said ... Ziggy was a top 100 NFL player at I think 43 overall .. he is 30 and it would make me smile if we could get him in here on a one year prove it deal .. at like a pretty big contract since we have the money .. I wouldn't want to save money by making the contract longer because I like the idea of talking him into, he could make more money by doing a Revis .. year to year model.

I don't have the information or expertise .. that Pete and John have .. maybe they like a guy that will be cut in June or .. can trade some of there 2020 draft capitol for a younger player that they really like and feel they can unlock like Chris Clemons but yah the Ansah dude from my myopic view on a one year prove it since he has the shoulder would make me happy for sure.

James in PA

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":179ynrvs said:
I have a feeling Pete & John didn't draft more D-linemen because their plan all along has been to add more in FA.
Bingo. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Also, Pete said after the draft that they’re not done and we’ll be “excited.” No doubt they have their eye on a few of the names already mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sutz

Reaction score
James in PA":3invge73 said:
12AngryHawks":3invge73 said:
I have a feeling Pete & John didn't draft more D-linemen because their plan all along has been to add more in FA.
Bingo. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Also, Pete said after the draft that they’re not done and we’ll be “excited.” No doubt they have their eye on a few of the names already mentioned in this thread.

P&J also said they had hoped that more DL talent would drop to us, but that they flew off the board too fast. Runs on positions happen in the draft all the time. Sounds like we fell victim to that this year.

But it does sound like they have a backup plan of sorts, and with letting Clark go they'll have a little scratch to pay for somebody.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":g1qi0tee said:
Why would the Seahawks take a chance on a player that just had surgery?....If they hire someone and pay that kind of money, health issues need to be considered.

I still think investigating what Houston wants for Clowney to be the best option after all we have 11 draft picks next year. Texans tagged him, and he's not happy about that.

Clowney's an interesting player to look at. He's played well since his rash of injuries early in his career, and he's still only 26.

But I'd guess his price is high (at least a #1, and probably another high pick as well), plus then you're back in the Frank Clark situation where Clowney's going to want the same numbers as Lawrence and Clark got.

So if you weren't going to extend Clark, why would you give up the draft picks AND give Clowney the same contract as you just said no to Clark at?

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lhb9mqh6 said:
Largent80":lhb9mqh6 said:

Clowney's an interesting player to look at. He's played well since his rash of injuries early in his career, and he's still only 26.

But I'd guess his price is high (at least a #1, and probably another high pick as well), plus then you're back in the Frank Clark situation where Clowney's going to want the same numbers as Lawrence and Clark got.

So if you weren't going to extend Clark, why would you give up the draft picks AND give Clowney the same contract as you just said no to Clark at?
This. :ditto: I think our recent history of trading away 1st rd picks would preclude such thoughts anyway.

I know some folks think we waste 1st rd picks by trading down every year, but it seems like that is such an important part of John's draft strategy that he would avoid doing it again. ;)

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4t5vohev said:
Largent80":4t5vohev said:

Clowney in gonna be in the same price range at Clark was, doesnt make sense to trade for him and then pay him when we just had a more durable version of him thats better at getting to the quarterback.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
They'd have to drive a really hard bargain to get an R1 pick.

Productivity and injury history doesn't merit it. Couple with lack of club control and price tag. Clowney is no Frank Clark.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2p7ets4q said:
They'd have to drive a really hard bargain to get an R1 pick.

Productivity and injury history doesn't merit it. Couple with lack of club control and price tag. Clowney is no Frank Clark.

Still no thanks. I don't want to tie up even 15-20M per year into Clowney. I'd rather give Ansah or Suh a 1-2 year deal at half that cost, and continue to draft and develop our own guys.

btw, no one thought Clark and Lawrence were going to get 20M+, so IMO you're underestimating what Clowney would get on the open market, or what he's asking for in Houston's extension talks with him.

That's the very reason these rumors that Houston is now listening to trade offers for him are going on now.

James in PA

Reaction score
Friggin idiot Jerry Jones screwed everything up when he gave Lawrence that ridiculous deal. Schneider himself said it. Now we have to go bargain hunting for veteran D line players. I hope Dallas goes 7-9. No playoffs, no high draft pick.

getnasty

Reaction score
If Dexter Fowlers getting 14 million a year, then Clowney is getting close to 20.

mikeak

Reaction score
James in PA":15hxt18s said:
Friggin idiot Jerry Jones screwed everything up when he gave Lawrence that ridiculous deal. Schneider himself said it. Now we have to go bargain hunting for veteran D line players. I hope Dallas goes 7-9. No playoffs, no high draft pick.

Jerry not only got to keep Lawrence on his team, he also got Clark out of the NFC...…… probably worth it

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter
More
Lions’ DE Ziggy Ansah - who along with Ndamukong Suh are the most high-profile free agents that remain unsigned - is in Seattle today visiting the Seahawks, per source. The Seahawks could use another DE having traded Frank Clark to Kansas City.

knownone

Reaction score
Hawknballs":25184rbq said:
Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter
More
Lions’ DE Ziggy Ansah - who along with Ndamukong Suh are the most high-profile free agents that remain unsigned - is in Seattle today visiting the Seahawks, per source. The Seahawks could use another DE having traded Frank Clark to Kansas City.
Makes sense. We are a week away from free agents not effecting compensatory picks. If he passes his physical, he'll probably be a Seahawk by next Tuesday.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sign him. Lose comp picks if you have to. Our draft class next year is stocked anyway.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Fingers crossed that his shoulder is good. If so, dude was an absolute freak athlete amd even at 30 years old that will still show up.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1123014701720301568[/tweet]