Does age matter ? Yep

xray

Reaction score
When should a HC in the NFL call it quits ? Bill Belichick is 71 and having the worst season since the 2000 season . There are rumors that he is done with coaching after this season ; but may stay on as GM for the Patriots . Pete Carroll is 72 and is under contract as HC through the 2025 season . He is also the executive vice president of the team . I would like to see him step down as head coach and spend the rest of his career at a desk in the HO . I would like to see a new young HC on the sidelines next season . The Hawks have many young talented players right now ; and I'll bet they wouldn't mind a fresh young talented HC too . I know this topic has been discussed many times in the past ; but the thought of watching PC chomping gum on the sidelines for 2 more seasons is going to be unbearable . imho

renofox

Reaction score
I DON'T want to see PC in charge of the office. His coaching staff hirings have been substandard and are probably a huge part of the reason the Seahawks underperform so often.

I'm just ready for next man up.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You know what they say, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!”

This applies at my job too, unfortunately.

We have a director that still uses old strategies that hasn’t worked in decades and has largely caused todays problems.

Really, crazy, how people cannot get out of their own ways and certain ways of thinking and they don’t see the things they do is actually causing more issues…

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
When should a HC in the NFL call it quits ? Bill Belichick is 71 and having the worst season since the 2000 season . There are rumors that he is done with coaching after this season ; but may stay on as GM for the Patriots . Pete Carroll is 72 and is under contract as HC through the 2025 season . He is also the executive vice president of the team . I would like to see him step down as head coach and spend the rest of his career at a desk in the HO . I would like to see a new young HC on the sidelines next season . The Hawks have many young talented players right now ; and I'll bet they wouldn't mind a fresh young talented HC too . I know this topic has been discussed many times in the past ; but the thought of watching PC chomping gum on the sidelines for 2 more seasons is going to be unbearable . imho
He might be losing teeth and then he’ll have to just have mints…

lol, jokes, aside, he seems like a healthy guy from the outside and he’ll continue to coach probably as long as Jody Allen still runs the team….

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Its probably a good time to understand what we have. As long as Pete is the coach, we won't be below .500.

But with that floor comes a ceiling. That ceiling is being a viable playoff threat.

We MIGHT still make the playoffs occasionally, because of one good year or favorable matchups, etc. But nobody should seriously expect much beyond that. You get to be an occasional wildcard, that's pretty much it.

However, the tradeoff is that you know at least half of your weekends will include wins, including beating at least one very good team.

You also know that somehow, he or JS will fill the roster (unevenly) with some exceptional players that will be among the top in the NFL in their position. So you get that too.

But no, you don't get deep advances in the playoffs or even competitive playoff games outside of the 1st round, and you don't get to beat division winners or win divisions. Nor should you expect it.

When Pete leaves, we might get higher ceilings later but we will probably also get lower floors. Much better chance we end up like the Giants than the Eagles. So be careful what you wish for because I think the LW trade is a pretty big indicator that Pete won't be here much longer than a year or 2.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LOL, Yeah, maybe we get some young 'Get After It' up & comer to come in here and get us to the playoffs and a "One & Done", I bet that'd make some of y'all happy eh? LOLOLOLOLOL
Although one stipulation to a new hire, NO GUM OR TOBBACCO CHEWIN' ALLOWED.
Old sayin' still stands > "Careful What You Wish For"

BASF

Reaction score
Boy I can't wait until we have a coach in his thirties and you guys can post about he's too young and not ready yet to be a head coach. Teach an old dog new tricks? We changed our offense almost completely from all scramble drill all of the time to an actual offense last season. We changed our defense to this hybrid Fangio system last season. That is some drastic change to be too stuck in his ways.

knownone

Reaction score
PSA: People who use "floors and ceilings" or "winning in the playoffs" to predict what a coach can do are making predictions heavily skewed in their favor. For example, without any football knowledge, we know a team has a 22% chance of making the playoffs and winning a game. Similarly, winning a game in playoffs correlates heavily with a handful of elite QBs.

Note that people who create these statements don't rule out making the playoffs because, despite also being below a 50/50 chance, the odds aren't anywhere close to being as stacked in their favor. And in the interest of being a klug internet sports guy, they know instinctively that in that prediction, there is a high enough probability that their fortune-telling analysis is wrong. We can't have that.

Keep that in mind whenever someone uses that argument against a coach that doesn't have an elite quarterback.

cymatica

Reaction score
I've seen videos of him slinging the rock in practice. They way the NFL is going, maybe in a few years he can be our QB

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Does Pete have an elite defence? No. Does he have an elite QB? No. So basically he's doing about as well as expected for not having those things. Very few coaches do well without one or the other. Nothing to do with old dogs and tricks.

However the fact remains that he's the boss and the failure to have an elite defence and elite QB falls on him as he's clearly not prioritized those things. So he bears that responsibility.

If I don't tell Schneider to "do whatever you can to get me a QB," and think I can do better than a quick exit form playoffs with Geno Smith, I can't blame things on Schneider.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Its probably a good time to understand what we have. As long as Pete is the coach, we won't be below .500.

But with that floor comes a ceiling. That ceiling is being a viable playoff threat.

We MIGHT still make the playoffs occasionally, because of one good year or favorable matchups, etc. But nobody should seriously expect much beyond that. You get to be an occasional wildcard, that's pretty much it.

However, the tradeoff is that you know at least half of your weekends will include wins, including beating at least one very good team.

You also know that somehow, he or JS will fill the roster (unevenly) with some exceptional players that will be among the top in the NFL in their position. So you get that too.

But no, you don't get deep advances in the playoffs or even competitive playoff games outside of the 1st round, and you don't get to beat division winners or win divisions. Nor should you expect it.

When Pete leaves, we might get higher ceilings later but we will probably also get lower floors. Much better chance we end up like the Giants than the Eagles. So be careful what you wish for because I think the LW trade is a pretty big indicator that Pete won't be here much longer than a year or 2.
Pete has won this division 5 times, most recently in 2020.
And tomorrow they have a chance to take first place…and beat the most recent division winner.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Boy I can't wait until we have a coach in his thirties and you guys can post about he's too young and not ready yet to be a head coach. Teach an old dog new tricks? We changed our offense almost completely from all scramble drill all of the time to an actual offense last season. We changed our defense to this hybrid Fangio system last season. That is some drastic change to be too stuck in his ways.
Some are NEVER going to be Happy with Pete, and ya know what? LOLOLOLOL I don't really give a shit, Snivelers Gonna Keep on Sniveling, BECAUSE that's what they do best.

morgulon1

Reaction score
LOL, Yeah, maybe we get some young 'Get After It' up & comer to come in here and get us to the playoffs and a "One & Done", I bet that'd make some of y'all happy eh? LOLOLOLOLOL
Although one stipulation to a new hire, NO GUM OR TOBBACCO CHEWIN' ALLOWED.
Old sayin' still stands > "Careful What You Wish For"
Agreed. I like the possibility of a great young coach but the other side of the coin is the question..

Who do they get? Certainly not anyone that's here presently.

I hope

CouchLogic

Reaction score

I thought I was in the Mariners forum.

GemCity

Reaction score
Heck no it doesn’t matter.

Look at Biden, still sharp as a tack.

*ahem*

Seriously though, PC is in incredible shape…energetic….and at that age, the only reason you stick around is for love of the game.

I still support him but most certainly agree that we’ve been in a “holding pattern”. I’d critique away but I don’t have an answer as to the “fix”. I’ve enjoyed being a fan of one of the most successful teams in the past decade.

Every year, there’s 31 teams that fail to accomplish their ultimate goal.

• Haha
Reactions: Xxx

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Pete Carroll teams have missed the playoffs four out of his last 15 seasons here. That's not ocassional.

This classification of statement reminds me of the people who kept saying "another one and done" in that 2018-2019 range. "One and done" is when a team plays one game and loses. But what was actually happening with this team was "two and done", where they won a game then lost one.

Wanting another coach because you don't think Carroll can do enough to get the team past the Divisional round. That makes sense, it's been nine years. Even if you want to stretch that to "can't get to the divisional round", okay. They haven't won a playoff game or had a high seeding in four years.

But to just declare that Carroll can't get teams into the playoffs except on ocassion? Come on.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Pete will be HC until there’s new ownership, most likely 2025 when the team goes up for sale. Let’s just hope we don’t get someone like Ken Behring as a new owner.