Does our defense suck because they practice against Russell?

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2cdjymux said:
jammerhawk":2cdjymux said:
LOL, funny Jayhawk!

I'm inclined to disagree with the it's the scheme argument myself, simply said we have had poor play form the CBs and LBs all season. I agree with Adams' remark : "We need more dogs, man."

That said, the coaching is failing to recognize and properly use Adams as a roverback instead of as a traditional SS. There is evidence that has become clear as well that there has been a readily identifiable failure in communication between the DBs as to responsibilities in coverage. Blame is being placed on Adams when it rightly at times belongs elsewhere. It is also clear the D misses the contributions made by KJ Wright. Pete needs to hold KNJ's feet to the flames some as he'd not doing a good job as the DC and hasn't for some while. In this is is easy top blame PC instead of the guy who supposedly has the responsibility for coordinating the D. Unless the obvious problems in coverage tackling and communication are fixed the D will continue to look like it doesn't practice much.

Agree 100% on paragraphs 2 and 3. It’s just tough to figure out if KNJ still has a job simply because he is doing 100% what PC says. If that’s so you can’t blame the sergeant for following the lieutenants orders and following them as ordered. Or he’s doing it more his way and is bad at it especially with the personnel he’s been given. I have no idea. What I do know is both KNJ and Flowers both look horrible but both of them might just end up as scapegoats for what Pete is doing.

Thursday night halftime comments by Greg Olsen were interesting. He talked about the team culture and how incoming coaches have to conform to the culture. I believe he was talking about Waldron but the point was newcomers are entering a system with constraints. Wish I had a recording to make sure I am not reading more into the comments then there was there.

This supports the philosophical differences of many coaches leaving after their units have issues.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The 2012 - 2016 Seahawk defense practiced against Russell Wilson too. They didn't suck.

Fade

Reaction score
Occom's Razor.

The defense is poorly constructed and coached.

The defense has inexplicably dumped the bulk of its assets into LBer and Safety, emphasizing stopping the run.

Pete thinks the "always stay on top" philosophy is enough for coverage, and has made no significant investments in corner for YEARS. His logic is the offense will eventually screw it up. Turnover, penalty, missed throw, negative run, etc. And you will eventually force a punt, just have to stay on top.

It is also why Pete on offense hates dink and dunk, preferring a quick strike explosive passing offense. Which creates the T.o.P disparity to boot.

This WAS an excellent tactic in the 90's and early 00's when you were allowed to play defense, and it was much harder for offenses to move the ball.

They have also fallen behind in the way modern defenses mask coverage, telegraphing what they are doing. Making it easy for any competent QB to slice and dice them.

Back to the run defense and the biggest indictment of this staff. They are last in the league at stopping the run, despite playing two highly graded DTs in Poona and Woods, a 1st rounder known for his run defense in Brooks, the best box safety in Adams, deploying a 5 man front with long athletes to set the edge, Wagner in the middle. And they're ranked last?! Pathetic.