Enjoying This Run vs. The Final Result

JonRud

Reaction score
I have been meaning to post something like this for a long time and I probably won't articulate it well, so I will just ramble. This is mainly for those of us that have been rooting for the Seahawks for 20, 30+ years and have been through season after season of disappointment and frustration and just want to finally win a Super Bowl once in our lives.

This is the best regular season in Hawks history with the highest expectation to win the Super Bowl. It's been an amazing ride and an incredible feeling to be in a good mood 12 out of the last 14 weeks. How many years did we sit here at 6-8 or 7-7 trying to come up with the permutations of 6 other teams losing, and not really have a true chance to win a Championship.

This team seems to have it all to win 2 home games in January and then win a Super Bowl. If that doesn't happen, it will just be so devastating because of all the decades or waiting & the expectations.

As everyone knows, anything can and does happen in the NFL playoffs. This isn't the NBA where the best team will almost always win.

I am praying we go on a 1985 Bears type run in the playoffs [they outscored their opponents 91-10] and just crush all 3 opponents in our path. I am hoping since we are the best overall team we will rise up and play our best ball and just destroy everyone.

I don't really have a point to this post, it's just expressing my feelings as we enter the home stretch. Wondering how others are feeling as well. I am so incredibly happy with this team but I am also really, really nervous about the playoff run for the reasons stated above.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Hawks have been great. Just really, really special. Not that my opinion is worth much, but for a season like this I think it's really important to just savor and enjoy every moment of it in the moment.

Think about it this way:

If the Hawks win the Super Bowl you spent all of the wonderful moments on the path to it being stressed out rather than enjoying them. What a loss!

If the Hawks don't win the Super Bowl you still miss out on enjoying how great they were along the way, and how much it sets them up for next year. Again, what a loss!

It's the type of year and type of team to just live in the moment and enjoy, IMO.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
JonRud":tb586ng3 said:
This is the best regular season in Hawks history with the highest expectation to win the Super Bowl.
Not to nitpick, but the 1984 Seahawks were also 12-2 with two games remaining in the regular season, and expectations were high then too. The difference is we didn't have a firm grasp of the division lead -- we lost at home to the Broncos the next week, which put them in the driver's seat for the division. This year, our closest division rival is not in a position to take away our lead, we only lose it if we screw it up.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I've been a fan since I was a kid, so since the 80's and this is exactly how I feel. I don't think I've fully accepted how good this team is. It's just unreal. If we don't win it all this year, it will suck for sure. I'm trying not to get too hyped up and just enjoy every win and hope for the best.

plyka

Reaction score
JonRud":1193u1gj said:
I have been meaning to post something like this for a long time and I probably won't articulate it well, so I will just ramble. This is mainly for those of us that have been rooting for the Seahawks for 20, 30+ years and have been through season after season of disappointment and frustration and just want to finally win a Super Bowl once in our lives.

This is the best regular season in Hawks history with the highest expectation to win the Super Bowl. It's been an amazing ride and an incredible feeling to be in a good mood 12 out of the last 14 weeks. How many years did we sit here at 6-8 or 7-7 trying to come up with the permutations of 6 other teams losing, and not really have a true chance to win a Championship.

This team seems to have it all to win 2 home games in January and then win a Super Bowl. If that doesn't happen, it will just be so devastating because of all the decades or waiting & the expectations.

As everyone knows, anything can and does happen in the NFL playoffs. This isn't the NBA where the best team will almost always win.

I am praying we go on a 1985 Bears type run in the playoffs [they outscored their opponents 91-10] and just crush all 3 opponents in our path. I am hoping since we are the best overall team we will rise up and play our best ball and just destroy everyone.

I don't really have a point to this post, it's just expressing my feelings as we enter the home stretch. Wondering how others are feeling as well. I am so incredibly happy with this team but I am also really, really nervous about the playoff run for the reasons stated above.

I think I understand your non-point from your title. The ride is more enjoyable than the final prize! It's the process not the end result that matters more. This is kinda true of making money as well, at least when you're on the Bill Gates level. He probably had more enjoyment making his billions than now spending his billions.

pmedic920

Reaction score
At the risk of getting my ass handed to me, I'll say this.
Like you I am loving what we have right now. I am more optimistic than I ever have been, in regards the the SEAHAWKS. I like many ole time fans, have that little nagging voice whispering to me, that this ain't real and something will bring it to a crashing halt.
When I hear it , I remind myself how many times this year, that the hawks have pulled out a win, in a situation that past teams would have folded up and accepted a loss. Ie. Houston & Tampa Bay.
This team is unlike ANYTHING we've had before. And we've had some good ones. I believe that the hawks have the formula, not just for this season, but for the future as well. Yea we will loose players for various reasons but this management team knows how to find talent to keep the train rollin'. I'm happy with the out look.
GoHawks.

drdiags

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have is not being able to see this team in a different light. I have been enjoying to growth and change of the team since Pete and John came in. I remember the despair of the dysfunction as Ruskell and Mora played out. I probably don't give this team the credit they deserve because I have been jaded by the 35+ years I have followed them. Knox gave me hope because he made them into junkyard dogs, but they never were thought of as elite, even my boy Easley was not given the national verbal stroking other named stars got. Our current team has players up and down the roster that has that magic word mentioned when their names are called.

I am doing my best to take this all in, since I doubt I have another 35+ years left to enjoy what ever these guys accomplish. I understand the euphoria of thinking about how close the ultimate prize is this season but I have seen too many times high seeds deemed impossible to beat fall in the playoffs. I am just going to soak in the season and keep my expectations in check. May not work for many but I am like a multiply jilted lover. Tends to harden you to letdowns. Hope our new wave of fans don't ever have to ever know how that makeup feels.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
JonRud":29wx2578 said:

I feel pretty much the same way. I am very confident in this team... especially at home...but the Seattle fan in me remembers the 1994 Sonics. They seemed destined for greatness with home court in hand throughout the playoffs. That first round series loss to the Nuggets was the worst I have ever felt as a pro sports fan in my life. I never want to feel that again.

I think this Hawks team is much more mentally tough than the 1994 Sonics. I'm sure PC will have the team properly focused... but they better not assume because they have home field it will be a cakewalk. They need to be "all in" mentally.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I have been enjoying the hell out of this season. Just watching this team, you can tell they are going to get it done. Anything less than a Super Bowl championship would be a let down, but it would not be the end of the world. Even if they go one and done, I will still watch next year, knowing they have a special squad that is still yet to find its peak (as if how good they are now isn't scary enough). Depending on how the Legion of Boom feel about it when they renegotiate their contracts, we may well have an enduring dynasty on our hands that lasts for several years, including multiple championship seasons.

This team is very, very special. They have the best secondary in the history of the game (I defy anyone to prove me wrong that a better secondary has existed when including depth players), and shored up their one biggest weakness in the off-season (D-line). Barring insurmountable offensive struggles, I just do not see them going in to the playoffs flat, with a rested Percy Harvin just waiting in the wings.

If we win the Super Bowl this season, we will be one of "those" teams. A team people mention in the same breath as the '72 Dolphins, the '85 Bears, the '89 49ers, '92 Cowboys, '78 Steelers, '00 Ravens, and so on. A team so complete from top to bottom, a team so dominant as to meet expectations and win it all. That is our Seahawks this year. With home field advantage, we are going to dump truck whichever two teams are sorry enough to be coming in to our house, and again when we punch our ticket for MetLife.

jdblack

Reaction score
The other Seahawks "first" helps - This is the first Seahawks team that will likely be perennial contenders for the next decade. That's what drafting an elite QB does for you!

Hawks46

Reaction score
drdiags":fieqh0w2 said:
The biggest problem I have is not being able to see this team in a different light. I have been enjoying to growth and change of the team since Pete and John came in. I remember the despair of the dysfunction as Ruskell and Mora played out. I probably don't give this team the credit they deserve because I have been jaded by the 35+ years I have followed them. Knox gave me hope because he made them into junkyard dogs, but they never were thought of as elite, even my boy Easley was not given the national verbal stroking other named stars got. Our current team has players up and down the roster that has that magic word mentioned when their names are called.

I am doing my best to take this all in, since I doubt I have another 35+ years left to enjoy what ever these guys accomplish. I understand the euphoria of thinking about how close the ultimate prize is this season but I have seen too many times high seeds deemed impossible to beat fall in the playoffs. I am just going to soak in the season and keep my expectations in check. May not work for many but I am like a multiply jilted lover. Tends to harden you to letdowns. Hope our new wave of fans don't ever have to ever know how that makeup feels.

I think I speak for a lot of Seahawk fans when I say that we all feel the exact same way as you do Doc.

Personally, I've always wanted to have a dominant defensive team that beat other teams up; a team other teams were very wary of. When we had those in the past, it was always saddled with a mediocre offense. We've never had, to my recollection, a truly dominant defense coupled with even a QB that could bring us back late in games if we were behind.

I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I can't. I need to, because I'm expecting perfection: I was pissed at our offensive performance yesterday. Last year, we were truly dominant running the ball and this year, there's something slightly off. Without digressing, I'm really at a point where I'm totally bummed if we don't at least get to the SB. It's really that evident that there is THAT much talent on this team.

My optimism is also creeping up that this could be a dynasty in the making. With all the young pleyers, if our FO can do a good job securing most of them, we're in good shape for another 5 years. Plus, we're finally elite at drafting so we can churn a lot of the roster spots in the draft and not worry about locking everyone up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JonRud":2nrj9jgl said:

One thing we have in common with the '85 Bears is a nasty suffocating relentless defense.

This is also the most confident I've ever been as a Hawks fan, and it feels good.............I just wish the playoffs started now! Cause I wouldn't put it past our two division rivals to try and prove something by hurting us.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
drdiags":1a71n07t said:
Your eyesight is worse than mine. Blue mentioned 1984 (Big Brother). The Curt Warner injury year. Stinking Broncos beat them out late for the AFCW division title with a 13-3 record, if I remember correctly. I think we lost to them late for the crown.
You're right... my mistake.

jack_patera

Reaction score
this has definitely been a year us diehards deserve...it was fun back when warren moon was throwing all over the field for us and the 84 squad was winning but they just didn't have the DOMINANT feel this squad has...

HawkWow

Reaction score
To start the year, thinking we may have that Harvin guy, I gave us a 33% chance of winning it all. Since, we lost Harvin and a couple games I didn't think we'd lose, but we also won a couple games I didn't think we'd win. So we are pretty much exactly where I thought we'd be and even without Harvin, I still give us that 33% chance.

Many, including Vegas (apparently) will find that number too low. While conservative, I believe it is accurate, especially when considering I'm giving the runner up, Denver / KC (?) more like a 20% chance of winning it all.

Only one team can win and it's not always the best team. The ball is a very odd shape and takes some very curious bounces from time to time. Health is always an issue and there's an amount of luck, like good officiating, that comes into play as well. Like everyone here, I badly want this title. More so for Lynch than myself. BUT...if we don't win it all, it won't detract from what a special year it's been. It will only mean we didn't finish out this special year. Only 1 team can and will. Obviously, I like our chances and love this team / season.

Largent80

Reaction score
It has been the best ever, I will never forget it no matter what happens.

One huge thing is the ability to have backups come in for major injuries and still be able to win. That is one of the hardest things to overcome and we are fortunate that we have this front office and coaching staff.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
When I was a kid, the Steelers started their dynasty. I liked the Steelers back then (I said BACK THEN!!!), and we didn't have a team. During that dynasty, they went to the playoffs about 8 times straight IIRC. They won 4 Super Bowls. They also got knocked out 4 times.

We've embarked upon our long stretch of playoff appearances. Will it last 8 years? Probably not with FA being what it is now. Will we win 4 SB's? I'll sure be rooting for it, but realistically, that's probably going to be quite the achievement nowadays. Will we get knocked out a few times? Yes. But Wilson knew after losing to Atlanta what every Hawk fan should remember if we do get knocked out:

We'll be back.

This ride is going to last for quite a few seasons to come.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Largent80":1shh1r9t said:
It has been the best ever, I will never forget it no matter what happens.

One huge thing is the ability to have backups come in for major injuries and still be able to win. That is one of the hardest things to overcome and we are fortunate that we have this front office and coaching staff.

Your post is how this year should be defined / remembered. Last year, we had to be one of the healthiest teams in the league. You're going t win games when healthly, especially deep in the season when others are not.

This year? Words can't begin to describe the adversity this team and staff played through. Won through. PC should definitely, IMO, be COY, but I will understand and accept it when / if he is not. But I sure hope the voters take a long hard look at what Wilson accomplished with an O-line not much better than Bama's.