Eskridge, maybe a decent draft pick after all?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Eskridge, 3 catches for 35 yards and a TD today, what are the odds he will pan out as a decent draft pick? What's his potential upside, player comparison?

I was impressed by his elusiveness and situational awareness, to know to get out of bounds on that play on the sideline after eluding a tackler. Then the TD catch, he broke a tackle and lunged over the line. Limited sample size, yes, but promising.

Anyone know, did he change to "1", besides injury superstition, because he idolizes AC?

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, had a good day. Looks promising going forward. :snack:

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I screwed up the thread title, should have called it, "Eskridge, yet another wasted draft pick by Pete & John" with no question mark, just to engage the PC/JS draft haters. :stirthepot:

Not that PC/JS don't deserve some haters for their recent record of 1st & 2nd round draft picks.

seabowl

Reaction score
We’ll see. He’ll always be the guy we took over Creed Humphrey in my mind though.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
seabowl":3ash1d9x said:
We’ll see. He’ll always be the guy we took over Creed Humphrey in my mind though.

Same. Especially watching Pocic get abused as usual.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Definitely a candidate for player of the game, along with Tyler Lockett and a few others.
Big impact.

kf3339

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2bwg18m8 said:
seabowl":2bwg18m8 said:

Same. Especially watching Pocic get abused as usual.

:ditto:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Probably unfair to brand him because he was picked at the wrong time, he is a decent player. Not sure I see 'game changer' but worth a roster spot.

Every time I see him it makes no sense we did not get a OL pick in a position of need (Center) when everyone was clamoring for one.

The only thing I can think of is that we are so aware of how pitiful our OL success/evaluation record is - we do not trust our ability to pick an effective OL.

So we picked a guy in an area we do trust, WR eval, even though we had little or no actual need for it.

He looked decent - hopefully, he makes us forget the pick we really needed, but that isn't his fault.

getnasty

Reaction score
I love how a guy has 3 catches in a game which doubles his totally for the year and now he's a decent pick.

Not saying he's good or bad but let's wait a few years until we evaluate the pick.

YKMHawk

Reaction score
Hard for me to see this when he’s a WR and that’s our only position of strength when as stated above we could have drafted Creed Humphrey at center instead. Have you seen how bad our center play is and how bad the offensive line play is overall?

Currently, Creed Humphrey who is playing center for the Chiefs is the highest rated rookie at any position and we could have had him anchoring our offensive line, but instead we drafted a slot WR who has been out injured most of the year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
One can be a decent player, but also a bad draft pick.

Passing Humphrey for Eskridge was a bad pick. Even if both players end up being good. Getting quality OL late in the 2nd round is difficult in most years. Getting an Eskridge quality prospect at WR can be found in day two virtually every year. Compound that with the ridiculous talent disparity between what we had on the roster on draft day between the position groups and the pick is way beyond puzzling.

Starter quality OL are inherently more valuable. One only has to look at the salary scales for 2nd deals for both to understand this. Getting a starter grade OL on a rookie scale is a huge salary structure win. And Seattle has a very poor salary cap situation already.

I like Eskridge as a prospect. I think he has Doug Baldwin like qualities. And am excited to see if he can approach that bar. And I'm also in favor of the notion that Seattle is drafting ahead of future need (in this case for when Lockett starts to fade in effectiveness to age). I see Eskridge as a #2 WR before his rookie deal is done.

But I still think it was a massive mistake and an empirically bad draft choice given what was on the board as alternatives. WRs of this makeup are plentiful in every draft. College is pumping them out by the dozens with the way college ball is now played. If Humphrey came out this year, he'd be the 2nd OC chosen and likely to selected in the top 25 overall picks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
WAY too early to assume he wouldn't be a good pick. But look where we are.........just sayin.
Give the kid a chance, he looks like he has some legit potential.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me it seems far too early to say with any authority if Eskridge will be any good or not. He has been rather fragile up to now but maybe he can now show his reputed speed and quicks. At present he is at best a #3 WR in this offence and most likely actually barely a #4.

The team has real weakness on the OLine and his choice seemed to me to be a poor pick relative to needs. Creed Humphrey several others for the OLine might have been a better choice.

Time will tell.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Nobody said Eskridge was going to be a bad player. Eskridge was electric in college and had that Reggie Bush/Percy Harvin sort of utility. He’s a slasher utility player that can attack you and line in many different configurations. Carroll has pined after that type of player for a long time now, but we haven’t been able to fill that roll.

That being said, he was absolutely a bad decision given the circumstance. Coming into this season the biggest question mark on the line was center. We didn’t sign any notable FA or use anything in the way of draft capital to address the center position. We had the highest rated center sitting in our laps and we decided to opt for a luxury pick with an extensive injury history.

Even if Eskridge pans out it was an extremely questionable call. Sometimes you just gotta take the layup in front of you.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The problem isn't that Eskridge is a bad player, the problem is that he's another example of our priorities being screwed up, of Pete ignoring needs on our offensive line. We did not have a need at WR. A lot of pundits expected us to take Creed Humphrey with that pick as we had needs all across the offensive line.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I wanted Creed Humphreys, but WR was definitely a need. David Moore and company were lousy. I think Dee’s mindset (alpha) is the biggest reason for hope. He just needs to stay healthy. A lot of guys get drafted with talent, but Eskridge had big upside to him. Drafting for positional needs only has proven to lead to mediocre results. Let’s give him a chance.

RiverDog

Reaction score
nwHawk":2g05tw9e said:
I wanted Creed Humphreys, but WR was definitely a need. David Moore and company were lousy. I think Dee’s mindset (alpha) is the biggest reason for hope. He just needs to stay healthy. A lot of guys get drafted with talent, but Eskridge had big upside to him. Drafting for positional needs only has proven to lead to mediocre results. Let’s give him a chance.

It wasn't a matter of it being just a choice between positional need and BPA. Humphrey met both. KC took him just a few picks later.

The best that Eskridge would have been was a #3, and that's assuming that he'd out perform Freddie Swain, who has played extremely well. We had/have a lot of holes on this team but wide receiver wasn't one of them. It was classic Pete, who has always had the tendency to under value offensive linemen.

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":15gta0wb said:
nwHawk":15gta0wb said:

It wasn't a matter of it being just a choice between positional need and BPA. Humphrey met both. KC took him just a few picks later.

The best that Eskridge would have been was a #3, and that's assuming that he'd out perform Freddie Swain, who has played extremely well. We had/have a lot of holes on this team but wide receiver wasn't one of them. It was classic Pete, who has always had the tendency to under value offensive linemen.

I agree that the Hawks are not throwing enough draft capital at the O line. Looking at KC depth chart I see that Creed Humphreys is starting for the chiefs. that probably would have helped out the Hawks O line.

But I also agree that Eskridge might have had more upside. I had CH for that pick on my board. to be fair they did draft Stone Forsythe and they Have addressed O line in FA it's not like they completely ignored the O line.

I think if the Hawks do not draft O line on this draft that it will be a mistake. I think they will get a middle of the road draft position in the drafting order which will be considerably better than where they normally draft.

As Wilson gets older, they have to make protecting him a priority and to be fair they Have addressed O line in FA I just think the depth is not good enough. injuries have just decimated the Hawk o line let's see how the depth works out for the remainder of the season.

LTH

nwHawk

Reaction score
Eskridge was also an explosive returner in college, another skill this team needed. It chaps my ass that he didn’t start the season returning kicks and punts. Swain is a solid dude, but he lacks explosion. Doesn’t also make the right punt return read. Solid, glad we have him, but he’s #4 to me. Still needed a threat to make this offense work.

Latest posts