Excited, But So Many Questions!

CelticWolf12

Reaction score
I am super excited that the Seahawk franchise have gone in this direction. Pete Carrol was an amazing coach and deserves so much credit for his accomplishments in Seattle! However, the NFL has passed him by. The bottom line is that coaches like PC need to be told when it’s time to move on. Ten years from now, PC will still think his philosophy would work. With that said, I am more excited than ever about the off-season and next year’s team. There are so many questions that are unanswered for me.

How competent as a GM is John Schneider? Which personnel decisions did he and Pete not see eye to eye on? Who wanted to trade for and then resign Jamal Adams? Who wanted to not improve the QB position last off-season? Who wanted to keep Hurtt as Defensive Coordinator? I am assuming JS is the man now and will be responsible for hiring the head coach (and coordinators) as well as the final say in personnel decisions going forward. How involved is Jody Allen? Is her involvement a good thing? I think so. Pete criticized her for not being a "football person", but it seems to me that she made the exact correct decision. Will she give JS complete control of this team over personnel decisions? How about FA signings?

How good is this current roster? Was it the players or the scheme? Under Peteball, offensive players have been underutilized and not utilized to favor their strengths. How bad is this defense? Is it the scheme or personnel? I keep seeing post about signing the next great edge rusher. At this point, I have to believe that even if we had the 49rs defense this season, it would have underperformed greatly due to Pete’s outdated defensive philosophy!

I really hope Seattle hires an offensive minded guru as a head coach. By doing this, it will give the team a huge strategic advantage. Most successful O & D coordinators get poached for head coaching positions (eventually). Like Sean McVay in LA, if the HC is the offensive mastermind, Seattle won’t need to worry about who poaches their offensive coordinator year after year as the style and scheme lies with the HC.

Lastly, we need a better QB! I hope that the next HC/JS draft a QB fairly high and signs a competent and talented veteran QB like Kirk Cousins. With the right philosophy and coaching, this team could drastically improve! Even if the defense played just average (instead of horrible) next year and the offense became slightly improved, Seattle would be a playoff team. It would be great to have a head coach that doesn't constantly get outsmarted, out schemed and embarrassed by opposing coaches. Also, it would be terrific if the other NFL teams didn't know the Seahawks offense and defense better than the Seattle players! I would love to actually see some schematic changes be implement series by series, let along game by game, instead of the same old ineffective, figured out Peteball!

Go Hawks!!!

OLYhawks

Reaction score
Last season was the first time I had been excited for a new season in quite while. I felt we had an honest chance, but it was the same ol' team, same ol' coaching, just with some new players. Which leads me to this upcoming season. I cannot wait to see what happens! From a new HC/OC/DC, to the draft, new players coming in through moves, and how the new coaches lead the team and how they utilize the talent we have on our team. It's going to be fun even if we stink because it'll be different, a breath of fresh air if you will.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Lastly, we need a better QB! I hope that the next HC/JS draft a QB fairly high and signs a competent and talented veteran QB like Kirk Cousins. With the right philosophy and coaching, this team could drastically improve! Even if the defense played just average (instead of horrible) next year and the offense became slightly improved, Seattle would be a playoff team. It would be great to have a head coach that doesn't constantly get outsmarted, out schemed and embarrassed by opposing coaches. Also, it would be terrific if the other NFL teams didn't know the Seahawks offense and defense better than the Seattle players! I would love to actually see some schematic changes be implement series by series, let along game by game, instead of the same old ineffective, figured out Peteball!

Go Hawks!!!
I can't see us getting Cousins. Someone will pay him well over $40m p.a. if we do that (and pay for Geno's dead cap) we will have to decimate our team. If we also take a QB "fairly high" in the draft (whatever that means) we are also taking away draft capital to replace those players.

If we go the route of a rookie QB with an experianced veteran the vet will either be Geno or someone signifiantly less talented (Lock or similar)

RiverDog

Reaction score
I can't see us getting Cousins. Someone will pay him well over $40m p.a. if we do that (and pay for Geno's dead cap) we will have to decimate our team. If we also take a QB "fairly high" in the draft (whatever that means) we are also taking away draft capital to replace those players.

If we go the route of a rookie QB with an experianced veteran the vet will either be Geno or someone signifiantly less talented (Lock or similar)
I'm in this camp. If we can't one of the top QB's in this year's draft, I'm good with bringing Geno back.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We need a better QB! I hope that the next HC/JS draft a QB fairly high and signs a competent and talented veteran QB like Kirk Cousins.
Why would they sign a marquee quarterback like Cousins and blow draft capital on the next guy in the same year? Why wouldn't you want to try to build around Cousins as much as possible if he's the guy? That's just inefficient.

I would love to actually see some schematic changes be implement series by series, let along game by game, instead of the same old ineffective, figured out Peteball!
What kind of schematic changes are we talking about here? I doubt most observers like us go in depth enough to recognize them. We watch result more than process. The rest most of us will just backfill to help our narratives. Also, what do you mean by "Peteball?"

Who wanted to trade for and then resign Jamal Adams? Who wanted to not improve the QB position last off-season?
John was very likely involved in both of these decisions, and I'm still wondering what magic quarterback improvement you're all talking about.

Under Peteball, offensive players have been underutilized and not utilized to favor their strengths.
Sure are a lot of offensive stars throughout Pete's tenure here that make this criticism seem ill-conceived. Also, what exactly is Peteball? Can I have some exact schematic details as to what Peteball refers to?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Geno isn’t the problem. While he may not be the solution, he’s not the problem either. You can win with Geno. He’s proven he can play within a system (aka Purdy). Build the right coaching and scheme around him and watch him flourish. I don’t mean for the next 5 years but as a bridge QB until we find our next QBOTF? Hell yes.

Improve the interior OL and defense and this is a 10+ win team easy.